Universal Monster Dash (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ads are ads. Own games or random doesn't matter. It makes the game feel cheap and crappy, no matter what it is. Which games are we talking about?

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It is annoying, and no they don't give you one. I've had multiple, and it's annoying when I own and have the installed games they are advertising. There is no reason to have a badge notification for something I already own. Give me the option of turning it off and link the purchased apps somehow to know this.

3. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    It's not really ads, just a little news section to let customers know that they have released a new game. It pops up once then never again.

4. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, notification that comes out once when there are news of a new game ONLY is still wrong. Project 72 started that way, now the ad comes up every time you open the app or go back to the menu. There is "More Games" button. Those who are interested can tap on it. There should be no advertising in paid apps whatsoever.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #645 Cilo, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not referring to the "News" section, I am talking about badge notifications. I put all my halfbrick apps in the same folder now, so hopefully they mingle and work this sh** out.

And yes it is an ad when it prompts me to check a folder that has a badge just to find out it was Halfbrick again.

Which is fine, I don't care if they advertise their other titles, even with badge notifications, but give me the option of turning it off in settings. They worked around the API to not give me that option, but still ping me with badges.

6. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Why not turn off notifications for halfbrick games then?

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Edit: see above

8. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Oh, I though there was a way to turn it off in the Settings app, but it doesn't look like there is.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Which is my point, advertise till you're blue in the face, but if I pay for your apps and own your entire catalog, there is no reason to push badges to me. Or at least unlock the notification setting so that I can turn it off.

10. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    wow all you have to do is click on it and it's gone. big deal

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If everyone had this mentality tivo, satellite radio, media torrents without commercials wouldn't exist. It's more than just a click, it's a pervasive attempt to attract my attention to a product.

12. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Cilo I think lots of people will agree with me when i say stop whining about it. IT is NOT a Add it is telling all of there loyal fans that they have released a new game. This saves the fans having to go and find it them self.

I dont know about you but i dont mind this. If you dont like it then why dont you just click it and then its gone, gees it only takes 10 seconds of your life to do.

13. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Loyal fans and "just" fans can tap on "more games" button, if they are interested. Ads don't have to be and shouldn't be featured as a pop up or badge/push notification. It's intrusive and annoying. Especially in a paid app.

14. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I like the idea and i think if you and Cilo dont like it then maybe you shouldnt play the game. In all seriousness if you are not willing to waste ten seconds of you lifes to click the damn button then you should not be playing the game.

Oh also anyone else got all 4 Halfbrick Games :D

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    i agree, news with these badges are really f annoying. but funboys will surely defend devs, nothing new.

16. chrisf82

chrisf82 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    4th year med student
    Tulsa
    Is this game coming to the iPad?

17. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    the notifications didn't bother me at all. Took all of about 1.8 seconds to click the news button and then the X to clear the notification. Did it three times - once for each game - so in total it ate up about 5 seconds of my valuable time. I've got lots of things going on in my life that are infinitely more annoying than that. Don't know how some of you guys manage to make it through a day if you find something like this "really f***ing annoying." I guess that makes me a "funboy."

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #658 eev, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    yep, if you don't care about that stuff but still post a novel in defense of devs - that makes you funboy.

19. Jebus

Jebus Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Wow, if you thought that was a novel, you are borderline illiterate.

Typing out that post must have taken you much longer than disabling notifications would have.

20. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    the funny thing is that ur wasting more time of your life complaining about it than just clicking out of a pop up.