Universal Monster Dash (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Finally broke the 5,000 mark!

[​IMG]

2. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Granted, it may seem as though I just want the game to be easier when I type things such as "lessen gaps, lengthen platforms, and remove hard to kill spawning enemies". But those were just my expression-of-emotion stemming from the part of my brain that enjoys "zen" in games from time to time, for example: ZEN MODE on Fruit Ninja.
    Intensity is great, but how about a mode that dwells on enjoying the game in all it's jumping/killing glory at a slower pace where death is only for the truly lazy?
    Also, I'm really not interested in caring about other people getting MASSIVE scores, I just want to give my input of some ideas I had.

3. ZEROFACES

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    gj :)

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    After the 4000 mark there can be randomly generated parts of a level that you will not be able to make it across unless you get lucky with having a jet pack or monster falling so you can aerial.

Since it takes so long to get to that point to begin with, the game does loose a bit of fun factor.

5. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Me either :(
    But it's damn fun trying!
    Yet another great game guys...well done!

6. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    now that the overall hype is over...i mean it's not that great of a game. Now before you slam me listen to what I have to say. Fruit ninja wasn't that great eithere when it first came out, but with dojo zen and new fruit it became a great overall game. The problem with monster dash is that after about 5 plays you've done everthing there is to play in the game except practice a ton to get a better score like other pick up n play games. I'm sure if monster dash is update alot too it will become a great game too.

7. ZEROFACES

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    The "randomly generated monsters" has proven faulty for me a few times, once in particular I had one heart left, was at about 3400, and suddenly came across 4 monsters standing around the same distance apart - i know I could only kill the first two with a gun shot, so i fired and jumped....guess where i landed? in a gap :mad:

8. ZEROFACES

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    +1 I agree

9. JoeAverage

JoeAverage Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    #289 JoeAverage, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    Any iPad players care to give their impressions? How does it look doubled? Framerate? Some of these games bug out my eyes because I am an old, tired, and soft man! LOL

Thanks,

Joe

10. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I understand that. But if we implemented a lot of those things, a lot of people would like never die. You would be playing for insanely long times and then take forever to top your own high scores.

Uh I've been playing this game for a while and I never have gotten to an unpassable part. Like never. Ever. I usually die after 4,000 for jumping too early and high, or not shooting the monsters fast enough.

11. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Eh, I do like this game. It's sort of like Canabalt never getting old, no matter how much I play it...except with monsters and Barry Steakfries! :)

12. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    #2 in the US. Can't wait for updates.

13. ZEROFACES

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    #293 ZEROFACES, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Lucky you :)

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I have played it a lot since it came out too. I have several occasions where a combination of spikes, small platforms, and elevation have had the level spawn badly. You have no choice but to take a hit on the spikes, fly over using a jet pack, or aerial stomp a monster. From the mechanics of the level spawning (unless this is intentional) you should be able to play without taking a hit, provided you are good enough. That is not always the case... even with a zoomed out view to see what is coming you would still have to take a hit to survive. I am sure you can blame a lot of the "bad luck" on jumping timing like you said. But there are occasions where it doesn't work out that way.

15. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    By alot I mean like before it came out :p

But I see what you're saying. The only way to get past parts of these sections are to land in some spikes, or aerial stomp, or rocket or you'll die. But I haven't run into these too often. When I do, I'm usually baited by a dangerously placed heart (the landing from the jump ends in spikes).

16. Paralex

Paralex Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Happy to see this game up at the top! Having a lot of fun with it. I dont know about you guys but I honestly can't get enough of these "runner" games

17. iPodChallenger

iPodChallenger Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    skate patrole (puplic skating safty dude)
    ontario, canada
    very addictive and fun

18. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Now for the real challenge. Can Monster Dash take #1 away from Angry Birds? It happened in AUS, now can it happen in the US?!

19. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    +1 This is what I'm wondering too. Haven't seen Angry Birds lose the number one spot in a looong time.

I can see what everyone's saying about there eyes hurting though. The problem is that the backgrounds are pretty detailed. When he game speeds up, they're still really detailed, thus making it a lot to see rush by. As someone else has previously said, I think it would be best that when you reach higher speeds, the background starts to blur so there would be less detail fighting for your eyes attention. Or a similar situation of course.

Could also use more music. The current music is alright, but it doesn't really excite me like Canabalt's or Solipskier's. I like the jump and shoot button layout, but maybe make the button's invisible area bigger? I know the area you can press to activate it is already bigger than the current visible button (when it is visible lol), but maybe increase it more. I have missed it at least once.

I love the game though. The above are only ways top make it better (in my mind). It's already up there in my top running games.

Edit: Post number 69 =] (haha sorry if my more immature side is showing, I couldn't resist).

20. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    It looks pretty good x2, but it's harder to play than on iPhone