Universal Monster Dash (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    This game and Solipskier are mostly all i've been playing today. Both are different and fantastic in their own unique ways.

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I like the idea.

Some possible thoughts... Let us lose a heart if we fall down a HOLE and start back on the platform we died on, so it's not an immediate game over.

Have some kind of story mode which scrolls and have a Level system (1-1,1-2 etc...) with a boss or something (akin to Zombie Shock).

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wow, this is a pretty neat little pick up and play game! I'm liking the graphic style alot!

4. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    5100... Go ME!

5. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    How the... :(

6. chrisf82

chrisf82 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    4th year med student
    Tulsa
    Great start

I agree with those that say that the game gets hard quickly, maybe too quickly. A monsters only mode (no gaps) as has been suggested would be awesome and something I'd even bet on seeing. Would be comparable to the zen mode of FN. If there were gape there could also be no extra hearts in the level to make that mode a little harder, meaning three strikes and you're out. Overall it's a fantastic start, the devs already alluded to the next update and said it will kick A. Also, just got 4,708!!

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    there are two kind of maps, with falling down enemies and appearing from the ground. Guess which maps are really hard at higher speeds? basically, your score depends on which maps will you get after first stages. Another point, why there is switching between levels? what is the reason of, actually, making game sessions longer? great design and coding, but again not very reasonable game decisions.

8. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    I don't know about anyone else, but my theft thumb is COMPLETELY incapable of controlling the JUMP action! I can't say why, but I need my right thumb to be "jump control" if I want to be accurate and actually get high scores in games. For instance, I've been playing Gravity Runner and Solipskier for the last 5 or 6 days straight and I been using my right thumb for both of those. On top of that, I'm an avid PSP player and lately I have been playing a lot of LBP, Monsters (Probably) Stole my Princess, and Castlevania SofN! So suddenly going to Monster Dash and having to use my left thumb to jump is a complete brain-fudge!

Knowing Halfbrick though, this will definitely be fixed asap ;)

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Very fun game. Just wanted to add my name to the list of people whose eyes start to hurt after around 2500 meters. Not sure how this could be tweaked. Anyhow, congratulations to Halfbrick.

10. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I've been enjoying this game today. One thing I would like to see is multi-touch support, being able to shoot and jump at the same time. There have been occurrences where I needed to do both at the same time, but couldn't, often resulting in getting hurt or falling into a pit.

I would like to commend Halfbrick for making such fun games. I have also been enjoying them on the PS3 (they make some pretty fun PSPmini games). Keep on rollin'!

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Never try to beat the Samminator!

12. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahaha! John & Kiran, it was all luck. That's the nature of these games, the more you play, the more likely you'll get a good run.

You can definitely beat me seeing as I hardly have time to play chaps!

13. Axl Lowe

Apr 8, 2009
    Indeed. I'm personally very fond of Rocket Racing, too. I enjoy the art style a lot. Very challenging little game.

14. Suckbag

Suckbag Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have about £20 worth of apps on my iPod, but this and minigore are the best. So addictive, never get bored of it. :)

15. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    New & Noteworthy in the UK & US and God damn, rightly so.

16. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    THAT'S IT!?!?!?! My wife and I went through all my iTunes receipts a few weeks ago and we added up over $1400 in AppStore purchases!

I've deleted a lot of regretful purchases, so right now I have 345 apps in my iTunes, and since the iOS4 update I've been able to fit most of them on my iPod thanks to folders!!!

17. Axl Lowe

Apr 8, 2009
    Wow, do you buy one of those GPS navigators once a week or something? p

I agree that it's very easy to spend, spend, spend, when everything is so criminally cheap.

18. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Is there going to be level select later maybe? And also how do you get the kill menu monsters statistics?
    And i would love to see more characters, levels, weapons, powerups, customizations. That's what makes a game like this so good, endless amount of different update possibilities :D
    Edit: nvm you just tap the monsters on the menu to kill them...weird statistic tho. It's like a minigame in itself

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    How you've got so few posts is beyond me.

20. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I just got the game. Super excited!!