Universal Monster Adventures - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#81 Foursaken_Media, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Sorry you feel that way - could you be more specific about "shambling movement and combat mechanics"? We definitely would like to work to improve any game mechanics that we are able to!

To answer your question, there wasn't budget or time issue - this is the design that we were going for. Bright colors, colorful effects, and a cartoon like feel. I think we hit the nail on the head, personally - but then again I'm bias :p

I also put some comparison screens between ps1 and MA below, just fyi, because I don't really see the similarities.

Attached Files:

2. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I'll consider being your buddy, but only if you are fully clothed.

3. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'd say the game looks far more stylised than 'poor and PS1-like'. Cartoony, fits the theme. Almost cel-shaded, obviously working within the confines of the iOS architecture. Appropriately done at that. Though I'm another person that will be buying it on release, so I'm biased too.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Seaside, Oregon
    Game looks great and can't wait until it is on the US app store. From the pictures and video I love the cartoony look. I will be downloading first thing tonight.

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Well, that certainly ends that debate. ;):D

DBC

7. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I agree that Bug Hero's is amazing in the sense it was just a great change from the norm. FM puts a lot of true love in their offerings. It's truly as if its not about the money but rather for the love of being able to make people happy.

Bug Heros and Space Miner ore bust are my all time favorite IOS titles, those two are my Zelda and Super Mario bros for iOS adult years.

8. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    "I don't always own people in a classy and nice way but when I do I choose the TA forums"

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#89 Bronxsta, Oct 10, 2013
    +1

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to say it.

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    /golfclap for you :)

I've been salivating for this since the teaser trailer from a while back.

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #91 Bool Zero, Oct 10, 2013
    I'm somewhat concerned with the button layout and how well it will work for us iPad users. I see that net at the top of the screen which makes me worried that I will have a lot of moving my hand up and down the right side of the screen to swap between the net, attack and attack button. Do we have to hit that to switch and then attack? And if so could that not have been put down below as two buttons rather than switching at the top and then moving back down? Seems unintuitive...

Also, does the combat get anymore involved than just one button attack?

Admittedly, I have been more quietly critical of Forsaken's game design and games in general as they have never tabbed me as they seem to have the rest of the regulars here (I find the studios games too grind-y, having passable controls and lacking a certain polish, but I will readily admit they have ambitious design and a sense of "love" invested in their games), despite my still during their games. This seems just as grind-y and I was hopping for more variety in the way of combat. The world seems charming if simple and the graphics quaint but the video just isn't thrilling me with the gameplay...

If there is more too it (combat) can we get a montage video to show the potential growth in abilities or attacks of monsters? It's not clear what the player is working towards in way of monster progression... Sure, learn abilities but what are some examples? This would be a selling point for me!

12. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Instabuy for me tonight, even though my wife has told me to cool it with all my app purchases. Foursaken Media how do you do it?

13. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    New update? That's quick.. What bug is squished?

14. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

The controls are completely customizable... you can move the icons for example anywhere you want. There's also a "one hand" control scheme which is great for iPad... you can tap to move, tap to target enemies, etc. We put a lot of work into control options and think we have something for everyone. More casual players should definitely check out the "one stick" option!

As for combat, I just replied to the TA video (if thats what you're referring to), but just to reiterate, remember, this is a progressive based game. Combat admittedly DOES start off very easy and basic, but with over 100 enemy types (with individual behaviors), bosses, catching mechanic, and over 60 abiliites, things get intense quickly. Its just a matter of how deep you want to/are able to go into the wilderness.

Some examples of combat depth include dodging (performing a quick dash) against enemies with unique attack behaviors, different types of attacks that counter different enemies (enemies with high defense for ex are vulnerable to certain "defense busting" attacks, while groups of enemies are more vulnerable to smashing AoE attacks), elemental enemies that are vulnerable to certain other elements (you can imbue an element in your monster as well, which renders you vulnerable to certain enemies, while being able to counter others), defensive based abilities, abilities where you can summon monsters to fight beside you, and lots more - not to mention abilities use mana that you constantly have to think about. Also, although there are 4 ability slots, you are not limited to using just these 4... the slots are "quick slots", so you always have access to your entire repertoire of abilities.

There's also the catching element - you can only catch enemies that you have damaged enough, so you'll have to constantly weigh the choice of killing enemies and earning xp and gold, or whittling them down and catching them to learn abilities.

As for "grinding", its all a matter of how good of a player you are... the deeper into the wilderness you can go, the exponentially more gold and xp you earn. As you progress through the game and unlock new areas, you earn even more xp and gold from them as well.

Finally, there is the coliseum, where you fight teams of monsters that have completely unique behavior patterns. Some will activate a shield for a duration (on and off, so you can only attack them at certain times), and use a charging attack pattern. Some will "play chicken", launching projectiles and running away from you. Some will burrow, leaving you to dash at just the right time out of the way before they burrow up to attack you. Some launch abilities all over the map that act as obstacles, like slime puddles and burning fires that you have to constantly be aware of while fighting them. Etc, etc...

I just want to reiterate that you won't ever really be able to sum Monster Adventures up in a few minutes of gameplay because we feel it is more about a sum of all its parts. Anyway, a long post, but what people think about the game matters to us, and we hope that ultimately you'll give it a shot!

15. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX

I was totally getting this anyway tonight. But if this does not convince anyone to buy this game then I don't know what will. Foursaken, you guys are the BEST!

16. HomeFries

HomeFries Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Canada
    Only an hr left :) till I can finally get this :)

17. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    An hour is too long, this game has me checking every 5 mins.

18. Yup, about 30 more minutes to go.

19. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    20 more minutes to go I'm at the edge of my seat

Edit:happy leaf Ericsson day! Hurga dingan durgan.

20. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    10 minutes to go and I'm at the edge of my cliff!

Edit: GOTTA GO FAST http://youtu.be/Pk6AobT_SDo