Monospace

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Reminds me of Crush for the psp, which is not a bad thing at all :D

I loved that game and it was so awesome when i beat all the puzzles

will check this one out over the weekend

2. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    Damn I hate this threads, when I promise I won't get a new app for a long time then I see a thread like this one and end up buying somthing... and with all that I love puzzlers like this I can't resist, I hate that

3. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

I bought this earlier today. It's really good. I like the overall look and feel. I originally was worried that I'd whip through it too quickly, but it's quite the opposite. I'm about 6 or so puzzles into the second tier and it's getting pretty hard.

One thing to note about the levels. There are 64 and they are categorized by the 4 difficulties. However you have to play them in order still. So you have to play the first 16 to get to the second difficulty. The game does unlock levels in a fun way so you always have at least two available levels to pick from.

Overall I think it's $1.99 well spent. And for me that's huge because, and I know this will be odd considering how much some of you have spent, this is the first game I've paid for on my iPhone. I say if you have $2 sitting around, this is a good way to spend it.

4. cnbigcan43

cnbigcan43 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Wow.

Definitely worth the money. I bought it about half an hour ago, I'm very very impressed with it. It takes some thinking and just a couple brain cells, and if you're an easily frustrated person, you might find this game aggravating. However, I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good mental challenge.

5. Last Gatsby

Last Gatsby Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I had the same worry. I flew through the beginner levels in no time, but it starts to slow down around 23. Very fun game. Easily worth $1.99.

6. Monospace

Monospace Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Hello

My name is Daniel and I'm the developer of Monospace. Thanks for the comments so far, I'm glad some of you like the game.

DonBurns99 sent me an email about this thread and asked me to answer some questions about the game.

Music
    I did not include the music from the Youtube video in the game, because I think that this kind of music is too repetitive. In a game where you have to conentrate and maybe redo a level a few times, a built-in soundtrack can get annoying quite fast. Thats why I think listening to your own iTunes music will add more diversity to it.

Updates
    I think It's still a bit early to talk about possibility of future updates. What I had in mind when working on this game, was that it should be a small (but hopefully fun) game that should work well even without the need later updates. Given the feedback that I got so far however, I'm seriously considering working on it again. The whole game was done a small side project, so I dont know if I will be able to put in a lot of work in it at once though.

Features
    Some really interesting ideas on features have been brought up, and I would be lying if I said that I dont want to implement them. Some sort of tracking feature and a random level generator or level editor would definitely be high on my list too.
    A tracking system that I had in mind when working on the game was about counting the players actions/moves or 2d->3d zooms per level.

I hope this provides some insight on the development of Monospace, even though I'm unable to give concrete information about future updates as of yet.

Thank you!
    Daniel

7. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    That's just what I was thinking, I love that game.

8. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome. Actually, I haven't yet bought this game. I'm only thinking about it and reading this thread for more info. But, since you had personally reply to this thread. I'm really interested to try out this game. I do hope you'll have the time to updates this game further as that would make this game more interesting and re playable. Anyway, good job! :D

9. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Love the game so far....

I would have liked some kind of music (even if I would turn it off after a couple of hours), but I prefer it, that a game has some music as a complete experience.... of course I can listen to my music, when playing, but I like it if I get to know new, other music than my own library... so nothing wrong with including one or two tracks...

Also it would be great if there would be some kind of Gold Medal system implemented like : solve it in 10 steps and you get a Gold Medal... (like Theseus did it)... Because, than I can come back and try to find the best solution...

so far I can highly recommend the games, it has a very nice, cool vibe , again this vibe could be supported even more with music....

cheers,
    brof

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Someone mentioned there was no music, but that the game halted your ipod in the background if you had your own playing; is this correct?

11. dazed66

dazed66 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    what if instead of a repeating soundtrack. the music can be generated based on the movement on the screen (a la "Lumines") that way, the sound is interactive and not just background noise

12. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    All you have to do in this situation is double tap the home button to bring up your ipod controls, or if you're on headphones, you can click them once to unpause your music...

13. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    I knew it!

The voice in my head said "don't click on this thread, you will buy it and you already have way too many apps that you have not finished yet"

click...

10 minutes later......

Downloading, Installing, AHHHHHHHHH

14. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for getting back to me Daniel, that answered the questions I was wondering about.

If you find yourself with the time, a "move counter" would be a great feature to start with, so we can track how well we do per level. That combined with knowing how many moves the 'best solution' takes would add more than enough replayability for something so simple and keep many coming back to older levels again and again.

I went through the same experience, but for this game it was worth it. ^ ^

15. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

Agree with you!

My only wish is that i would have downloaded this earlier, have to go to work and don't want to be late.

Well worth $1.99 (i would have paid more).

I do wish it had some kind of music behind it. But no biggie

Hats off to the developer.

16. Last Gatsby

Last Gatsby Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm officially addicted to this game. I bought it last night and just cleared level 51.

Being able to play your own music is my only complaint, but it seems you can get around that anyhow.