iPad Monopoly, NFS, Sim City

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rootbeersoup, Oct 9, 2008.

1. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess I'll make a topic since there's none for it already

In case you didn't see it:
    http://toucharcade.com/2008/10/09/screenshots-and-info-on-eas-need-for-speed-simcity-and-monoply/
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/more-info-on-upcoming-ea-mobile-titles

I gotta say, I was REALLY looking forward to Monopoly. But I personally think it looks bad. IS it necessary for it to be in 3D like that? I have a fantastic computer version of Monopoly (CLICK) and i think this version would have been amazing for the iPhone. I'm not sure if I'll buy it

Now NFS looks pretty sweet. I think I'll definitely buy that one

Sim City also looks impressive and I'll be looking to buy that one as well

Wish these games were out now lol

2. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    I was looking forward to Sims and NFS... but December?!

They look great so I guess it makes up for the waiting. :)

3. I am not a fan of Monopoly and won't buy the game, but I do agree with your comments regarding the 3D view. It's not the view itself that's the problem, rather the low resolution textures used for the board, cards etc. They are all so blurry! If the textures were of a more higher resolution I don't think the 3D view would be much of a problem. As it is it just looks cheap and crap.
    NFS looks amazing, but I wonder if the finished game will end up looking as good as the promo demo shown at the keynote and these screenshots. If that's the case, there's no denying it will certainly be the best looking racer yet in the app store.

4. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Exactly my point... The 3D rendering is crap. Not only that, but it's 100% unnecessary.

I realize EA was trying to go for a "real life" feel, what with the ability to move your cards around----Also completely unnecessary

By the looks of it, EA got 2 out of 3 right

5. Yes it's quite ironic that a game with cars racing around a track being chased by cops, with lots of scenery wizzing past can look so sharp and detailed. And yet we have a board game app that looks like it was programmed 10 years ago.

6. belal.rawi

belal.rawi Member

Oct 9, 2008
    simcity better not be $10

YOU HEAR ME EA? NO ONES GONNA PAY $10! WELL SOME WILL BUT NOT ME!

the simcity box thing which has almost all the simcitys for pc is like $20

although i do expect it for $10, i can still hope that its not.

7. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sim City actually looks likes it's worth $10... Certainly moreso than a bunch of $10 games.

8. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i wouldn't be surprised if EA didn't try to sell NFS for 20 bucks, and try to change the pricing structure for future releases...
    how well that will be recieved, who knows
    but it looks like it is a polished game, and may be worth it

9. I agree. Not my kind of game, but I should imagine you'd get hundreds of hours worth of play out of it, and it looks quite polished. £6 (the UK equivalent to the $10 price) wouldn't be too much to ask I should imagine.

10. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Ha you know it'll happen eventually... Hope it never does though

11. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Agreed... A game's replayability is a HUGE factor for me

12. gusto5

gusto5 Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I have monopoly for the computer, and the 3D angles are actually quite convenient. However, in said version there is also the option to remain on the birdseye view on the board, so if EA implements that, they may solve that dilemma.

13. belal.rawi

belal.rawi Member

Oct 9, 2008
    well, the way it is right now, developers are lowering prices. you saw a lot of $9.99 games at first, but now stuff its dropping to 4.99, 1.99, and 0.99.

Spore (EA) is still 9.99, and thats just spore, so i can see those punks making simcity $20.

14. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I have the feeling NFS is gonna be the first "actual game" to hit the App store. 30 cars? that's more than the ones on NFS Carbon on the PSP and that game was significantly long. As long as we get more than 3hrs of play, i'd definitely spend more than $10 on it.

15. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I totally agree and plus there's supposed to be different gameplay modes so there will probably be a good replay value!!!
    Plus I kinda hope they charge over 10 bucks cause then they'd be paving the road for other devs to not be afraid to!
    Then again I kinda hope they don't cause I'm already broke lol

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Eh? A brand like SimCity? Of course loads of people will pay $10, and probably more. In fact I hope it's more, as I think prices need a push upwards...ultra-low prices seem nice at first, but not in the long run if you want more "real" games with huge production values.

Yeah, but those have already been out for a long time and have already made pretty much all the money they're going to make, so they can throw together a bundle like that and make a few more bucks. This is different, since it's a new thing on the iPhone/touch.

--Eric

17. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I've been holding off buying a 3D racing car game simply because I wanted to check this NFS first - looks amazing. Just hope that it steers as well as the blurb promises.
    Monopoly really needs to be cheaper to justify its cost. I won't buy it at $10 but may be tempted at $1-2. Its really down to playing vs humans that makes monopoly great, and if you're playing in the same WLAN, then a cheaper cost will make it instinctive to try. You'll be abit like Billy No Mates buying this alone at $10 but no one to play with.
    Also, I think they're produced by different teams, hence the huge discrepency in visual quality.
    Oh, and Sim City? Would love to play this, but I suspect my battery would die before I finish the tutorials!!! :p

18. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    If EA did it remarkably well, I'd pay even more. The price ceiling for apps should break the 9.99 cap so that more devs can bring epic hard core 30+ hour million dollar titles for the iphone. Talented people don't come cheap.

Go buy it for the PC then, it's not like EA is going to pop a cap in your ass if you don't buy the iPhone version.

19. gusto5

gusto5 Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Little do you know...

I guess we will truly have to wait for the final product (or demo videos) to arrive at our doorsteps.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I wouldn't mind shelling out $20-$30 for real games, but not watered down version of console games. If higher prices mean we can get the same quality and production value of top-end DS & PSP games, be it.

Games like Zelda, Myst, Final Fantasy, Cooking Mama, Professor Layton, Nintendogs, etc would suit iPhone easily. Not that I love them all, but I know they'd be instant hits.