Universal MonkeyBox #1: Polarized! (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/monkeybox-1-polarized/id1493631918?mt=8

Polarized! – MonkeyBox 1

TheCodingMonkeys
    Take a photo! Take another one! “Click” and a story unfolds. Experience the first game driven by image recognition. A s…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Take a photo! Take another one! “Click” and a story unfolds. Experience the first game driven by image recognition. A story driven by your camera. »What did happen in that house? I told no one. And my mother didn't ask. The official report says I ran away. That I got lost in the blizzard. Of course that isn't true. But I am the only one who knows that.« - C.C. What happened that winter night? Uncover the secrets with your camera. Need a ladder? Take a photo in the real world! Thirsty? Photograph a beverage. Enjoy your first »photo mystery«: A game controlled by the pictures you take. Polarized! is entry #1 of the TheCodingMonkeys MonkeyBox Series. Note: Privacy is important. The pictures you'll take don't leave the device and are only used to make the game work. Therefore you don't need an internet connection to play this game.
    Information
    Seller:TheCodingMonkeys
    Genre:Adventure, Arcade
    Release:Feb 28, 2020
    Updated:Oct 05, 2020
    Version:1.0.4
    Size:70.9 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    An adventure without solving puzzles. Instead, take photos of objects which integrate into the story. I haven’t seen this sort of technology used in a game before. It’s usually obvious what is required but occasionally a little logic is needed. At times some crazy stuff needs to be photographed, though the camera can be fooled with some creativity. Know that this game cannot be played sitting down. No internet needed, and photos are not saved outside the game so there should not be any security issues.

3. Maxime0683

Maxime0683 Active Member

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Can we see the game trailer?

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Or you can watch 20min gameplay video AppUnwrapper made instead. The idea is one of a kind as I never came across anything similiar before. What I'm struggling with is the fact I'm gaming exclusively on iPad and I don't think I've ever used its camera before. Playing the game this way doesn't fit to my usual gaming preferences. I'd also love to hear more about the mechanics behind the whole concept. How does it work the required object is even recognized and what are the object's criteria that needs to be met to succeed. I'm just curious, that's all.

Maxime0683 likes this.
  5. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    As an example, there is the standard adventure format of using objects to progress, except they have to be found in the real world. Early on, a screwdriver is needed to open a fusebox, so find one, photograph it, and it sort of morphs into an in-game screwdriver. The game is pretty accurate at recognising objects; no good showing it a spanner.

That is only one example though. The camera is used in all sorts of clever and unexpected ways, some of which made me chuckle, but no more spoilers. The less you know beforehand, the better. (I only had to leave my apartment twice to complete the story).

yankeeblue000 likes this.