Monkey Land 3D w/free download codes!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Ashes, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ronit

ronit Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Blogger
    US
    Cool. Can you send me one promo code. Thanks.

2. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Yes I can!

-Matt
    @FMJgames

3. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    My bad, I meant app*. Anyway, Apple doesn't like devs to talk about IAP's in their app descriptions, for some reason; and will sometimes remove apps/not accept them into the AppStore until that is changed. So it's just a fair warning about your future app descriptions is all. :p

4. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Word! Thanks for the heads up, check out all the drama I went through getting on to the App Store in the first place haha by drama I mean setting up the distro packets and using the correct app id stuff :p I will have to add your tip there too as a warning to devs! http://fmjgames.com/submiting-to-the-app-store/

-Matt
    @FMJgames

5. Perseus

Perseus Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    One of the devs of this game was kind enough to supply me with a code so I could take this game for a spin. Everything I have to say I say with the intention of helping the devs improve their work, so bear with me:

The dev mentioned in this thread that there is still work to be done on this and I can't deny that it's obvious straight from the bat.
    I do feel this game has potential, but right now it feels really bare bones; a skeleton that still needs alot of fleshing out. As far as I could see the only real objective in the game is hunting lost bananas. Not the most original objective in a game, but it allows the game to contain monkeys, which is always a good thing in my book. A game can never contain enough monkeys.
    The visuals: As you launch the game you pass one welcome menu and you go straight into the game. Unless it's a very well hidden secret I couldn't find a single menu anywhere. No save/load menu, no way to adjust the controls, no audio, no exit button and no graphics menu. The game itself has nice and colourful graphics and textures which are also very, very bright. Now this wouldn't be a problem if the game had an actual menu in which I could adjust this. You get the point. Very painful on my eyes.
    The character models and names are a bit unimaginative and bland in my opinion, eventhough I can see how it would appeal a younger crowd. Personally I still feel they could improve them somewhat. With the names it just feels like they just jotted down a few ideas and used them without considering any backstory for the characters.
    Graphicswise another thing that immediatly struck me is the huge field of view: it's like 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' meets Ape Escape. And this in combination with the extremely repetitive music makes this game a very trippy experience. Is this game meant for kids or adults? Music which, by the way, didn't take long to drive me bananas and forced me to stop playing and which thematically had no ties to the game whatsoever. The whole look of the game tells me it's about a monkey on an adventures hunt, but the music however the music is telling me the monkey has been using the medicinal cabinet for recreational purposes and is pumping some tunes to go with it.
    If one thing should be high on the to-do list for this game it's adding more adventurous music and simply: more music.
    As for the controls: the game has a very interesting controlscheme; its a combination of a simple virtual control stick that controls forward and sideways movement, and steering wheel tilt controls that controls the turning of the character. Again I found myself wishing for a menu in which I could adjust the sensitivity, because you literally have to turn your phone sideways to get a decent turning speed (is there really no menu? Did I miss something?). I do have to say that I have not seen this turning method in another adventure game and I really liked the idea of it, but right now it feels like an oiltanker can make faster turns than our otherwise speedy primate antagonist. A (huge) jump button on the right side of the screen doubles as a Super Mario-ish spin attack, which also slows down your descents, enabling you to glide through the air somewhat. Things get a little akward when you also use this button to interact with the various NPC's on the island, because you can only see what they have to say after landing your spinjump right on top of their face. Not a method of interaction I recommend using in daily life.
    Unfortunately I think I would have regretted it if I actually bought the game, because in its current state the game represents nothing more than an alpha build or a tech demo. Nothing worth writing home about, unless you really, REALLY enjoy jumping on peoples faces as a method of communication. But I will say this: I think the dev is concious of the lack of flesh on this skeleton, which explains why he is giving away so many promo codes. So guys like me can give them a little feedback on what to improve on. And if he is true to his word and continues to build and improve on the current groundwork (MENUS!) and turning this into more than a tech demo I could still see this going places. I think it will still be a little while before it reaches that point, but there is no reason not to keep an eye open for this title in the future.

6. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Could I get a code? Thanks.

7. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    #127 Ashes, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Well first thank you for the review! It does help me improve things very much, so bring it on :)

First it is fairly bare bones but the fundamentals of a 3D platformer are really hard to get right, especially that damn camera. But for my first game for the iPhone I really wanted to focus on exploration. I wanted to fit as big of levels as I could while keeping a solid frame rate and having that feeling of like damn this is huge I need to find things! Now I almost made it too big because hardly anyone ever sees that the game is really about finding Dead Man's Chests and opening them with a key that you have to find or unlock via a puzzle in each level. So the main goal is similar to a Zelda dungeon, find the Dead Man's Key and use it to open the hidden treasure chest in each level.

The menu/level select screen. After you start up there is a level select screen that shows which levels you have unlocked and you can turn on or off the music by tapping the music notes in the top left. Sorry about the lack of options, as soon as I can i will add some like you suggested. Strength of the joystick and tilt would be in the options menu for sure.

As for the colorful graphics that are very bright, well use your iPhone setting to dim it down a bit. No one says you have to play in full brightness!

The FOV or field of view is similar to a fish eye cam, I just liked the in your face style and it reminds me of old skateboard and BMX videos so i went with it :)

Haaha awesome I want this on my ads!

The characters DO have a back story and if you play the Great Pumpkin Seed mission you can see some more character development. It's funny because they are actually all named and based off my real life friends, so thank them for not having cooler nick names. I really like J-Rock and Robo-Cock and those are my buddies actual nicknames! The few that aren't named after friends were named after Japanese cars, racing and street bike companies like Mugen (the hero), Titan, Suki, Chief Yota and Kawi's. These are just the NPC's of the island, all the pirates are based on real homies.

I get a ton of comments on the music, unfortunately I'm still young in my music career so my beats will have to just get better over time, sorry! I do wish to put some longer more refreshing beats in as time permits :)

For turning with the iPhone it helps if you are running when you turn, if your standing still in the game you do have to turn the iPhone quite sideways but if your running around the slightest tilt will turn Mugen around a corner no problem.

Thanks again for playing and leaving your comments!

-Matt
    @FMJgames

8. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Sorry it took me over a week but SENT!

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hi, if there's one left, I'd like to try this! Thank you!

10. MolecularCloud

Sep 23, 2013

I would appreciate a code too!

11. Mrtax

Mrtax Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Can you send me one promo code. Thanks. :)

12. tolits528

tolits528 Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Can I have a code, too? Please? Thanks!

13. ilyailya

ilyailya New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    i'd like to have code too, please

14. blownlowd1

blownlowd1 Member

Nov 18, 2013
    The camera looks like it needs work.

15. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    The camera is different than any other game that's for sure. It takes a little getting used to but I really like it up close in the action. I'm thinking of adding different angles as options. What ideas did you have or what platforming games have a camera that you just really like? I based this off of Zelda and Mario Gamecube style games with a little bit of skateboarding video effects.

I'll send you all PM's after I get back from lunch with more codes :)

Matt
    @FMJgames

16. GamerGangsta

GamerGangsta Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Please let me get code, game looks dope.. Will leave impressions

17. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Cool thanks! I just sent out codes to these gamers and will get through the rest!

tso5818
    bigrand1
    MolecularCloud

From other gamers responses I feel like I should mention a few things, and keep an eye out for future updates that help address these issues as well.

Please be sure to use the full range of the virtual joystick. It extends past the circle (about 75% up the screen) and that is how you jump to higher spots.

1. The point of the game is to find a hidden key and open a hidden treasure chest on each level. It's called the Dead Man's Key and it opens the Dead Man's Chest but basically try to find a key and a chest. The bananas do give you points and more time and somthing cool happens if you find all of them.

2. I will make the joystick bigger in an update but as it is you can press you finger past it to run faster and jump higher.

3. You are timed but you have so much you shouldn't run out!

4. The tilting camera works best if your moving while turning, if you stand still you have to turn the phone a lot.

5. Please have fun and leave me comments so I can make it a better tighter game!

Like it on facebook to see future updates and pics of the next Monkey Land 3D I'm already working on called Monkey Land 3D - Sub Zero
    https://www.facebook.com/MonkeyLand3d

Regards,
    Matt
    @FMJgames

18. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle

Sent!

Sent!

Sent!

I still have more so don't monkey around :)

19. ayrton1

ayrton1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Cleveland,Oh. Usa
    I'd love a code if you have any left.

Thanks

20. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Thank you for the code. I will give my thoughts on it, after next week. I have finals.