Mom's Choice Awards

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BriceCaris, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BriceCaris

BriceCaris Member

Jul 14, 2015
    hey guys I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with "Mom's choice awards". I received an email from them stating they played my iOS and Android game "Bird Drops: Birdies Revenge" and that I would be a good fit. Problem I am having is it costs a pretty penny for a free game.

my questions are
    have you dealt with them before?
    is this a generic email they send to everyone or just those who qualify?
    are they worth it?

Bird Drops is my first ever game so I don't have any experience with advertising and the emails that come in from them. I know a lot of scams will come my way and I need to use common sense but not knowing what's normal vs not is why I am asking.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you,
    Brice Caris

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If its entered into a competition that sounds good. If its entered into a competition and they want some sort of payment from you then i would run a mile.

Was the email 'official' ? Eg [email protected] or something rather than [email protected] etc ?

Have you had a lot of downloads etc ? If your game hasnt done too well yet this company contacts you out of the blue that again sounds suspicious

3. BriceCaris

BriceCaris Member

Jul 14, 2015
    She is an official contact from momschoiceawards.com.

Typically I would run and wouldn't even consider it like all the other emails I get. But being able to advertise as award winning sounded good to me. But buying an award doesn't feel legit to me. Then again like i said i don't know if this is the normal process sines this is my first published game.

No I have not had a lot of downloads yet because it is only 3 days old. It has been picking up though. The reason she caught my attention was the opening part of the email "Good morning Brice!

Congratulations on your product launch! My name is Victoria Nguyen and I am a social media intern for Mom's Choice Awards. I read your press release, checked out your website, and downloaded the game to play, and I believe Bird Drops: Birdies Revenge 1.2 would be a great fit for our program!"

I sent her an email back trying to get more information but am still waiting(only sent it a couple hours ago)
    She did offer 25% off of the normal price (again marketing BS) but that brings it down to $375 instead of $500

I understand she is probably trying to pull some marketing BS on me but Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this email or dealt with them before. Googling it I could only find one other person asking and he was an author of 5 books. Someone replied to him saying they are one of the most reputable awards out there(weather thats true or not I do not know yet)

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well yeah it sounds legit but thats a lot of money to 'buy' your way into that.

And no offence to your app but i had a look at the thread here, it hasnt really had any replies or people noticing it. If you had 1000 sales on the first day and people were talking about your app then i could understand it getting nominated etc

But without sounding harsh, i presume you havent had tons of downloads yet this person tries your game and thinks it should be nominated for an award ? Most of the top games here over the years havent been nominated for a 'mums award' or whatever it is.

Hate to say but i would stay away. If there arent many hits on google i would for sure stay away. Not the same if you have to pay to 'win' the award

Looking at their site...

http://www.momschoiceawards.com/about-us/

"The Mom’s Choice Awards® (MCA) evaluates products and services created for children and families."

Your game looks good but was it aimed at families/children ?

5. PerpetualFunMachine

Feb 16, 2015
    Game Developer
    Hayward, CA
    I wouldn't do it, these sites are all over the place, they all want you to pay $500 for their "limited time offer" to feature your game. They're just preying on developers who are desperate to get exposure. You would probably be better off investing that money in improving your game or advertising through an ad network that targets mobile devices.