MojoSDK for WebOS/Palm Pre

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by indyraider4, Jul 16, 2009.

?

What do you think about the MojoSDK

1. I am eager to try it and start to make my first WebOS app

33.3%
  2. I think WebOS is a great opportunity, but I'll stick to iPhoneOS

13.3%
  3. WebOS is no where as good as iPhone OS, but I am going to try it out because of apple's major flaws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. WebOS is going no where and it is pointless to develop for it. I am going to stay away.

53.3%
  1. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Palm just released the MojoSDK to everyone at http://developer.palm.com/
    What are your thoughts on developing for the palm pre. It is supposedly very easy since it is based on HTML5, which is the standard for web designers. Do you think you will test the waters with the Palm App Catalogue? I think a lot of iphone developers will try it out especially considering the current frustrations with Apple's App Store, in both price, navigation, and mostly the review process.

Please post thoughts on WebOS Development below.

2. ddn

ddn Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Programmer by day but at night also programmer.
    Look behind u!
    Wasn't this what Apple initally offered up too, a pure web based API for application developement. Didn't fly very far, since your limiting yourself to maybe 1/10 of the power of the machine on an already limited platform.

But it is a new market which means uncontested marketspace for intrepid developers. You'll be limited in what you can do but if you look at the top selling iPhone games, they arn't pushing the machine by any means. If you port over some of the more popular apps and do it fast it will proably be worthwile.

-ddn

3. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm going to download it and give it a try considering I can't get a mac at the moment:(

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm going to give it a shot....I dont have a mac as of now, so in the mean time I'll try this out and get some experience.

5. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I have never coded with C++ before, but have minimal experience with HTML5, so i might try out the MojoSDK and find out what happens.

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I have no experience in C++, I have been reading a C++ book though. I know some HTML 4 I could learn HTML 5 easy. It should be easy for both of us to make a simple app...

7. arykmax

arykmax Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    This is what I am going to do as well while saving up for my Mac.

8. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    can't get it to work on windows 7 RC :(

9. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Well they'll tell you it's not the same, but to me it appears to be exactly the same as iPhone's web apps -1.

Right now they don't support saving audio, have no video playback in the emulator (and no ETA on it), and there's only a handful of APIs, none of which are very interesting to anyone developing anything more advanced than an Ajax application (certainly no 3D graphics support yet).

I don't think you're going to see many non-form-based games for a while. I think they've rushed it out, which makes about as much sense as pretending to be an iPod. : p