Moderators or Spam Police Out Of Control?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Royce, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    ^lol look at this guy trying to sound all smart.

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I feel like I just read the Declaration of Independence.

3. undead.exe

undead.exe Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    #43 undead.exe, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Post-checking Request

Hey guys. I'm having a little trouble locating moderators of the "iPhone and iPod Touch Games" subforum, so I apologise if I'm breaking the flow by posting this here.

I understand that one of the subforum rules is the following:

"Don't post advertisements for websites/blogs/podcasts/youtube-channels/Facebook/etc on the site (Signature links are acceptable within reason). Self promotion is strictly prohibited."

I've recently started making youtube clips of various aspects of video gameplay, and I've been posting them to a particular thread (direct links to the videos themselves, not my channel). While I consider most of these videos legitimate gameplay techniques (i.e. I think they actually teach something useful to viewers), I'm starting to wonder if I'm in breach of this rule.

To name an example, please check this post. I'm citing this one in particular because the second linked video is more about entertainment than a proper gaming technique, as was the case with my previous posts.

Anyway, if a moderator is kind enough to check this or any of my other posts, please advise me if what I'm doing constitutes advertising or self promotion. I would much prefer you edit the offending post(s) and/or send me a warning rather than banning my account, but I am honestly unsure where I stand relative to the forum rules with regards to linked videos from my own account. I am not a Youtube Partner, nor do I receive any income for the videos, but I believe that is quite beside the point with regards to the forum rules.

Thanks for your time and patience, and please either PM or reply to this thread if you can advise me, I have this thread subscribed so I shouldn't miss any advice posted here.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The moderators are universal - to find who they are you can click on "View Forum Leaders" at the bottom of the main forum directory.

As for your posts specifically, I had a look and I don't see anything offending. As long as you don't spam the videos, or come out with things like "Here's my channel, check it out please", and the videos are more or less relevant to the community discussion, you'll be alright.

Self-promotion is more about "I made an iOS gaming channel, come check it out pl0x" or "Click my video and help me win an iPad" kind of thing.

5. undead.exe

undead.exe Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Thanks for the clarification! I'm admittedly on a little bit of a video-making spree right now, so I'll bear in mind to keep the videos seldom and relevant rather than frequently saturating the thread in them.

6. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    I appreciate your insightful analogy. For some reason, the first analogy that came to my mind was background removal in Photoshop, with regard to the "tolerance" level. Sometimes, if you want to get rid of all the unwanted color, a little bit extra goes with it. If you want to scare away crime, you'll scare some innocents as well.

I think the reason no one really engaged you in conversation is because of your approach in communication. Direct and to the point may not be as thorough, but it still conveys the core of your message without distracting elaboration.

In forums like this, Concise > Comprehensive if the idea gets across (without being unclear or unexplained)

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Loving the Photoshop analogy, I tend to use similar ones myself when problem-solving. I guess that's what comes of ten years of using the same product :)