Mobile version?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by mavis, Dec 21, 2008.

1. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion here ...

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but I think TA desperately needs a mobile version like MacRumors has. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the ONLY person who regularly checks TA on an iPhone, and the full version takes FOREVER to load. If you could add a mobile version for at least the blog part (mobile version forums would be GREAT, too) it would make it a lot easier for people to access the site on their iDevice.

What do you think?

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    You'd probably never get the forum version you wished for due to the size of the whole thing, but the blog certainly is a possibility. C'mon, we need a Mobile TA!

3. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Actually, arn made a mobile version forum for MacRumors, and it works really well. The only downside is that attached images can't be viewed, polls don't display, and some characters (like ampersands, sometimes) don't display correctly on the iPhone, causing Safari to atop rendering the page after the offending character. That last one is a bitch because the carrier which sells the iPhone in the States just happens to have an ampersand in its name. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for posting. Maybe if enough of us post, it'll convince arn to get a mobile version up! :D

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Just get an RSS Reader and subscribe to the RSS feed. Google Reader is a good one and the iPhone version will even open up pages optimized for mobile devices, if you wish.

5. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Yeah, but the RSS Reader doesn't solve the forum problem.

6. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I have Newsstand, but it's just not the same. And Chiller ONE is right - it doesn't solve the forum problem. Having a mobile version of both the main page and the forums makes sense for a site dedicated to the iPhone/iPod Touch, and would make visiting the site MUCH more enjoyable. ;)

7. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You're right. And this is very possible to do. iLounge has a fantastic iPhone-optimized site which you can use to browse the forums, and they also use vBulletin.

Personally, I'd love to see someone develop a native app that let's you browse IPB, vB, and various other types of message boards. I might even pay for it.

8. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    There have been loads of threads on this subject.
    There is a standard template for mobile sites now that a lot of sites have adopted... finger gaming has it and so does leoville.

9. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Odd - I didn't see any in this particular forum ... :confused:

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    macrumors has a mobile version? somebody please give me the link

11. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

mobile.macrumors.com ;)

12. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    i think TA works fine on the iphone. It loads well even using edge for me.

13. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the latency, but it takes FOREVER for me. Mobile MacRumors takes about a second to load, but TA's main page takes 10-20 seconds (on 3G or wifi) ... That's ten to twenty times longer than a mobile-optimized page takes. ;)

14. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Actually, I just timed it and it's closer to thirty seconds.

But, I think I know what the problem is. The main column loads, and then it hangs for at least ten-fifteen seconds before the the two side columns appear. And right at the top of the side columns are the 'Site Sponsor' ads. :mad:

I guess I'll have to play around with some hosts.php adblocking stuff when I get home.

15. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

OK, problem solved. I was able to trim about ten seconds off my TA load time by modifying the /etc/hosts.php file on my iPhone (SSH required, of course) ... Just Google 'iPhone adblock' and you'll find easy to follow instructions. ;)

16. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    The problem is with the forums, not the actual main page of TA. Everyone finds the next page button incredibly annoying on the iPhone because it's so small. It's also very hard to make a new post because sometimes the things you are typing won't show up since it has to make the box smaller. (sorry it's hard to explain that last one. Hopefully you understand)

17. ea84

ea84 Member

Dec 24, 2008
    mail carrier
    texas
    agree

i would love to see mobile ta, mainly because i have 2g iphone and it takes awhile to load on edge. i will admit i check the website about once an hour to see if theres any updates.

18. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Try the adblocking thing - that should help (until arn adds a mobile version, anyway) ... ;)

19. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I would, but my internet is slow. I have 22 mbps, but it still feels slow. Anyway, I'm on an iPod Touch 2G, so I can't jailbreak to do that.

20. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully the Dev-Team will release a 2G JB soon - I'm in the same boat here, too - my 3G is jailbroken but my 2G iPod touch isn't ... :(

Whatever. We still need a mobile version - MacRumors' mobile site loads so much faster than TA, it's not even funny.

Arn, what do you think?