Mobile MMORPGs interface problem

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Vyacheslav, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Electrical engineer
    Ukraine
    Why nobody talk about it? Is it just me who doesn't like it? Take a look at some popular mobile MMORPGs (from Asia especially) - most of them have pretty, nice-looking graphics and some are almost PC/consoles-like in terms of visuals quality (Lineage II: Revolution for example). However, when it comes to actual gameplay I personally (and maybe some of you too - let me know in the comments) have this compulsion like I'm playing in game of interfaces instead of actual games. On my Xiaomi Redmi 4X for example latest MMORPG title Lineage II: Revolution have approximately 70% of my HD 5" screen covered in variuos menus, abnormous chat window, event & reward notifications, buttons, metrics and so on. Is it really so hard for developers to have their game optimized for phones too even if it's cross-platform? I don't look at graphics anymore, so why bother about visuals? That's always been beyond me.

2. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    You are right. I think with many MMORPGs now the interface and stats are the actual gameplay. Lineage 2 being a good example, where the 3D battle graphics could be removed and replaced with a Mafia Wars style mission bar and you would still have the same game. The emphasis seems to be on ever more complex equipping and upgrading, hence all the metrics and clutter. There are still a few cleaner interfaces out there though, Bladebound is one which just has joystick, attack buttons and health meter on the battle screen.

3. Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Electrical engineer
    Ukraine
    That's a good one as it looks. Will try it out, thanks. I hope upcoming Black Desert: Mobile won't have this UI problem as I've heard that PC version have some kind of immersion mode where player has only basic things like health on display. Would be good thing to see in most MMO nowadays.