MMORPG question, why always the same camera angle and controls?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Montanx, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    This has been on my mind for awhile, I'm sorry if it's not entirely mobile talk but there are mmos on mobile and I'm not on any mmo forums so whatever.

Why do mmorpgs always follow the tried and true WoW style of camera behind, walk around, target etc, just like WOW, swtor, gw2, order n chaos etc? Bear with me here...why not have an mmorpg like diablo? Now I don't mean like diablo 3 where u just join or make games, that's not like a typical rpg. I'm talkin JUST like the WoW model only in the diablo camera angle and click to move controls. Lots of players freely roaming around, instanced raids, quest areas, the whole 9 yds.

Im just tired of the mmorpg formula, and every time I play dungein hunter/d3 type games, or krpgs on mobile, I can't help but think "an mmo in this style would be so much fun.". this seems like something that would have been thought of by now and makes me wonder what I'm missing.

2. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    Because 90% of games released are rip offs of something that was previously successful.

Most devs go where the money is and the simpletons keep buying the "new" games fueling the cycle.