Mission Europa Review?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by undeadcow, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Seriously, what are you going on about? ME is a game with dozens upon dozens of hours of gameplay. How could you possibly expect that there would be a review within 1 day of its release?

I have the game and I think it's pretty cool, but whether or not it gets reviewed pretty much boils down to if any of us have the time to do so. We are only a staff of a few people, so it's not always that easy to do full blown reviews of games like this.

The post from today is letting everybody know that it's out and that Necromancer was free, just to make sure and get the game some exposure.

I'm really impressed with the enthusiasm for ME in the forums, I really am :) But we are only human and can only do what we can within our means. As for Aralon, we had a copy of that game well in advance so we were able to have a review pop out right when the game went live. Not so with ME, although we did ask.

Also, both Crescent Moon and Galoobeth Games that are responsible for Aralon are both independent developers, so your example isn't very good :) I think in the grand scheme of things TouchArcade has covered more independent developers than any other website out there.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think the front page mention was pretty good. It linked to the forum thread and if you ask me you can get a lot more info about a game from a forum full of customers than you can from one person's review. People seem to care a lot about the TA reviews but in the end it's just one opinion of many, head into the game thread and you can find dozens. Just because they're not all staff members doesn't mean they're any less knowledgeable or informative.

3. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Really?! I get a completly different story from Ryan, he tells me he was ignored and did not get a response, it looks to me like a communication problem or something else. I do not question the veracity of your post, I'm just surprised considering that I am aware that Ryan did try to send you guys a preview built, the message must have not gotten to the right person.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We asked for a preview build on 2/21. No response. That being said, I'm not crazy about the game now that I've played it upon release.

5. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Ok, I just go by what was posted on his blog, it's not like I'm making it up, too bad...

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #27 undeadcow, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    Fair enough, thanks for response editors! Touch Arcade does seem to review a lot of indie games. I know Mission Europa is lengthy but maybe at least an feature editorial would be interesting (even if it ends up negatively towards the game so be it). Personally I think Mission Europa could be a contender for game of the year and if nothing else it's a step away from javascript/flash ports or shovelware for that plague the format.

7. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    woooah slow down there. Take a look around... Mission Europa is good, but not good enough.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What do you know, you got stuck on level 1 of 50!

9. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Lmao I got past. On level 4 k

10. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Sort of off topic, and may not apply to this situation, but may i also gently remind people to send any review requests to [email protected].

On the other hand, posting in the middle of a 30 page thread "why hasn't toucharcade reviewed this" is about as effective as yelling it out of your window. :)

arn

11. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    The fact that you are even talking about it is review enough....your forums have had big views, members are creating threads everywhere from help, FAQ, item trading....even if you don't care for the game you can't ignore the fact that there must be something to it..Thanks for being the launching pad that has given the game the opportunity to be noticed.

12. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I am also running through the game now, seeing what it's all about, FYI.

I did request a beta / ad hoc a month ago and didn't hear back -- so it's not as if it hasn't been on my / our radar.

blakespot

13. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Why do you care if it's not reviewed? Are you the developer's PR person or something? Play the game if you like it. o_O
    Personally I don't really care about this game. Interface and graphics are absolutely terrible.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Then go away! You're missing out with shallow views like that. We've been mocking your kind in the thread!

15. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    No, I'm just surprised that what was posted on his blog is different than what I'm hearing here, that's all. It's not like I know all the facts, I just read what's posted like everybody else.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think there's some kind of communication problem going on. I've also sent him an email and a couple of PMs with no reply. I'm sure he's not just ignoring everyone given how hard he's working at promoting his game around here.

17. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Ryan told me he treied to send you a beta build TWICE with no reply on TA's side

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Arguing about who emailed who when isn't really conducive to getting a game reviewed.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #40 undeadcow, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    At this point it's up to administrators if they want to review or post official impressions (and I'm sure an official decision has already been made). It seems to me that if there's a promising game it should get mention on sites dedicated to the iOS format in the interest of promoting continued quality releases. Regardless of your opinion regarding Mission Europa's game mechanics I'm sure we'd all agree that a lot of work went into making this a more serious game, which I think is a step in the right direction for iOS games at large. If this thread has descended into a whine-fest then feel free to close, I originally posted it in the spirit of promoting quality gaming apps for iOS. Sometimes I feel like I've living in a shovelware landfill and at other times I'm curious about behind-the-scenese decisions on which games to attend too. I'm very grateful to hear the discussion from administrators and editors who seem more approachable than I thought. Hopefully we all will continue to see more involved games for iOS regadless of whether or not Mission Europa gets the attention I think is deserves.

See... it's getting some administrative play-time. TOFTT Blakespot [but trust me, it's good]!