Universal Mission Europa (by Bansheesoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Mar 16, 2011.

1. SouL_DragooN

SouL_DragooN Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Architecture for money Games for Fun
    Mansfield Texas
  2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't get the issue with graphics ????

The game is actually beautiful in motion. The animation , character design , spell effects are crazy ! The game is art. I sincerely believe that if people actually played this they would eat their shallow words. Screenshots simply don't get this game across.

3. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    No need to be coy, clearly no one is looking for/expecting that. We were simply commenting on your post saying that you think a game has to be a big name to sell well.

Graphics sell games now a days, it sucks but it's the truth!

Also, perhaps the whole "quality over quantity" bit comes into play here as well. Sure you have 300+ monsters, but many are pallete swaps or things like that. I would prefer to have 50+ monsters and have them all really well designed than 300+ that didn't have the same time in the proverbial "oven". Just my two cents though, I really hope/wish this app sells like crazy for you. But if it doesn't there is at least a starting point for your next project!

To the poster above me, the game's graphics are passable. Calling it art is a far stretch in todays industry. Even for an indie game, the graphics are certainly it's weakest part.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC

Honestly, don't think it's the graphics or even, necessarily, the price. Although I see Ryan's reasoning for releasing a $3.99 "Standard" edition and a $9.99 "Collectors" edition, I've been reluctant to get either. I just couldn't fully get into NR and I know things were greatly improved with this project. Yet, I would have prefered a 20-30 minute "lite" version to a lower priced "Standard" version. I can't pluck $10 down on something I'm unsure about. But I hate to part with $4 and find myself stuck having to buy add-ons if I really like the game and feel like I should have gotten the "Collector's" version.

You'll notice that even those "major console" companies release lite versions on almost all of their games. The higher priced big-time releases are expensive in the app world. And even when someone like Gameloft releases a game, I typically wait for a "lite" to try it out. Of course those major companies also have the luxury of offering $.99 game sales since they've got big budgets to begin with and 100,000 $.99 game sales is still quite a big pot of gold.

For indie developers, unfortunately, it's a rough market. Even many $.99 games have lites to drive sales.

I have limited space on my little 8GB iPod Touch and can't afford to upgrade. So I have to be choosy when it comes to what I get. $4 or even $10 may not sound like a huge deal. But I can't afford to get everything and that's where lite versions really help. I have a very difficult time juggling space on my Touch and wish I could upgrade. So, in the end, I have to take into consideration reviews, size and price. Nothing worse than spending 2 hours deleting and re-downloading games to make space for something and then end up hating the game (not that I think I would in this case). I don't consider myself cheap as I have bought games at the $6.99 price and up. Usually, it's because I got to try them first or I read reviews and really, really liked the developer's earlier games.

It's rough and I wish Ryan luck.

5. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    Seems like the working list will require some effort. I also noticed you used the word "BUTT" instead of "ass" tehehe. Coulda added a bit more emphaisis using the latter.

6. Galois

Galois Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    #1606 Galois, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Ah those are both very possible. I'll pay closer attention to what has happened in game when I notice the issue again. Thanks for the quick reply!

I usually play with the sound off (not sure why; I almost always do), but perhaps I should change that just to be sure I pick things up like that. Thanks!

7. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I agree. This games graphics are amazing but many ppl expect graphics like infinity blades, the arts is excellent in the game and u have to give credit to Ryan for making such an incredible game on his own.

8. SouL_DragooN

Jan 12, 2010
    Mansfield Texas
    Color swaps they are not ;)
    http://missioneuropagame.com/beast.php

Anyway not here to argue and I hope you all do not so many more positives then negatives. It is pretty awesome when you are fighting 30+ bad guys with stuff flying everywhere. Nothing like it I have seen on ios. .. I need to get back to work this is burning time and not really accomplishing anything..

I hope you can enjoy the mud pie of a game ;) hehehe just kidding really.. I laughed.. ;)

(I think some of ya'll are to serious...life is to short =) )

See yall soon ;) If you really need me I will be on the blogs the rest of the day.. this forum can suck my time like crazy =)

9. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    With due respect have you played for any length of time ?

Are we talking about the same game ? I think people should reserve judgement until after they reach lvl 5 at least.

Maybe you have played the game but to suggest some cut and paste job on the enemies is cruel injustice. The design is amazing. The variety and complexity is mind blowing. I personally love the art style.

People don't moan about Doodle Jumps graphics but I think they are crap.

I am dumbfounded.

10. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    O...M..G.... I want the replicant soldiers helm just because its hilarous! xD

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    With a brilliant but presentationally flawed game such as this, wondering aloud just how great the game would have been with high presentation values, good funding, and a larger dev team, is almost taboo. It kinda goes against the indie spirit.

But I am going to do it anyways ;) : Ye gods, whatta game this would have been, with high-end graphics (combined with the same art style), tons of polish, and a large dev team.

A good thing it is such a great game regardless ;) It also kinda proves that it is possible to create *tons* of content. If ONE man can create a game this long and deep, simply adding three other fellas to work with graphics, story and polish would give us our iOS Oblivion.

No longer can larger iOS dev teams justify game lengths below 20 hours in games of this kind ;)

Not releasing a lite at some point in time tops of the big list of iOS no-noes, leaving lack of multitasking and Retina support far behind. I cannot imagine a single reason not to provide a demo, if the dev wishes to sell the game.

Have BansheeSoft confirmed there will be no lite? That could possibly be a rather severe mistake...

12. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010

To each their own then, I'm currently a level 11 and have put 500+ minutes into the game. To clarify my point take a look at the skybox in the hub world. See how nice and rich the star field and planets textures are? The rest of the game doesn't look like that, the resolution for most textures are far below that.

Again, it's a great game - easily my favorite on the iDevice (of which I've currently purchased 350+ games) but the art style is certainly suspect at best. Either way, the point I was originally making is that most gamers are passing on this one for a few reasons, graphics being a big one, and thats a damned shame considering just how great the game is!

13. The problem lies more on the somewhat primitive-looking UI and the cheesy font rather than the graphics IMO. I was able to easily look past it for a game with this much depth and developer support, but most App Store consumers are less receptive.

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Ryan,

True story, dead marnies are worse than Fleash Maiden ever was. They can shoot through walls, become invisible whne viewing them from a certain angle and they are standing in a doory way, and fire multi bolts of doom.

That is all.

15. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Ryan you should really release a lite version or call it 'Mission Europa: First Encounter' It really tells what it is it would be the first chapter free to play and you can only reach level 3 and only accumulate a certain amount of credits or have no shop feature, online, or mail system for the 'first encounter'. I thought the name was really creative

16. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    We can also fire energy rounds through walls. Equip all of your passive abbilities and blobs fire into groups. With the skills equipped the shots jump from one mob to another easily killing large groups.

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Username

So I tried setting my username earlier, but it didn't go so well. When it told me to make a username, I typed in CREX and it said it was available, so I went ahead and typed in a password, and it finished. So I thought I had successfully set it as CREX again, but, when I clicked on character, I didn't show up as CREX, it just called me "character". :confused: So I went back and set it again as CREX, and once again it said it was available. So I typed in my pass word and once again, it didn't work. My character kept showing up as "character". So I went back and tried a different username: CREX1111. It said it was available, I typed in my password, clicked on character, and it didn't show me as CREX1111 either!!!!! What the hell is going on?! How do I set it?! The first time I played and set it (before accidentally deleting it) it worked perfectly the first time. Why isn't it working now?

18. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    wierd could be a possible bug from the orginal deletion

19. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I hope not. That would suck. Going to get wifi in a little bit so I'll try it again.

20. SouL_DragooN

Jan 12, 2010
    Mansfield Texas
    Lol at stop light yea I am that guy!!! Use stats not character window for name;) green go time...