Universal Mission Europa (by Bansheesoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I would have understood your point, and agreed wholeheartedly on your general view on difficulties, had it not been for the fact that many of us have little problem dealing with most of the enemies in the game. Me, I find the game still a bit on the easy side, with proper strategy and forethought, and I'm a very mediocre gamer :)

A problem that only plagues SOME players, and that is not a bug (considering how unstable ME is, being one-shotted thanks to a bug is probably a possibility), is rarely a case of absolutes. Since many, many other players evidently have little or no trouble with the difficulty, the problem probably lies in the way you play the game.

2. arglactable

arglactable Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    That's the thing. It's really not hard, with the exception of one hit kills, which are, in my opinion, completely unacceptable. Having a boss that can potentially one-hit you because it has an attack that deals a lot of damage is one thing, but it's an entirely different thing when the attack's damage actually increases with your level to make sure that it takes all of your health (and ALL of the bosses seem to have it). I should not instantly die when hit by an attack from a boss 6 levels lower than me. Especially considering how much more health even a lower level boss has. Granted, with strategy and, more importantly, the right items it's probably possible to strategically dodge the slower insta-kill attacks, but if you get unlucky and don't get any items that allow you to effectively do that you're ****ed. My fundamental problem is that I could cut a bloody swathe through the enemies in the level with zero problem, get to the boss, get it almost dead in a couple of seconds, and then DIE instantly even though its normal attacks aren't even particularly effective against me. It's not difficulty, it's just a cheap shot.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #2903 Ayjona, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    Then how come many of us do not have the same problem? But, as I said, perhaps it is a bug, and the next update will please you immensely ;)

EDIT: I ran into a similar situation rather early on in the game. Wondered what I could do to get past that particular boss. So, I adventured one level up for a while, defeated the previous boss a couple of times, gained a level, some appealing new armor, and a skill, and once I went down to the quest level again, I defeated the impossible boss without even realizing he was not a normal mob until I saw the loot table scrolling past on the screen.

4. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Actually, I've had the same experiences plenty of times. And my level, armor, and skills are just fine, thank you very much. Sometimes the bosses randomly one-shot kill me, which is pretty annoying, but it seems to only happen every once in a while. For me, it's the gore worms and hellspawns (and similar enemies) that constantly kill me in one hit. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to fight them anymore, and restart the level if they're in the way of the boss. I mean, I really love this game, but those guys are just pure evil :p

5. arglactable

Jun 3, 2010
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I pretty much love this game. I've already put over 9 hours into it (counting my last attempt). It just seems cheap instead of difficult sometimes. Still, overall it's an impressive achievement for the platform.

6. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    YES. Thanks a lot, now my power gamer mania can calm down.

7. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Question in regards to bosses and their weaknesses:
    Is there any way to tell if a boss/mini boss is weak/strong against/at a specific attack from a 'safe distance'?

In theory, I found that bosses/mini bosses are kinda helpless at dealing damage with the attack that doesn't kill the player in short order eg. flame demon thingy on level 5 can't do crap with its blue magic blob but one shots me up close. Does that mean I should kite it or something?

I'm quite annoyed with (near) one hit KO's but in ME but I redirected all my rage at Diablo 2 :D

8. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Wish there were a lite version of this game. I'm intrigued, but not enough to buy it quite yet. Oh well.

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I think Ryan said that the Standard will go free soon. But it will only have like the first 3 levels or something like that.

10. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I personally like the challenge. I have personally died on level 124 many more than 8 times ! If you fancy letting me in on the secret I would be very happy !

I have actually beat the main boss once by accident but I'm on the interrogation mission so it didn't really count.

I'm 4800 minutes in and I'm glad I got stuck because the previous few levels were a breeze with a full set of rotten flesh and plasma chain.

Can't wait for the update to hit now it's in review.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm not sure I do. I do consider it a massive achievement, and I AM having fun, but there is so much that lacks in polish and shine that it sometimes puts me off playing. And I've always regarded myself as above petty concerns such as graphics, presentational values, and responsive controls ;) Story and writing are even more relevant to me, and they are sadly lacking in Mission Europa. Which is a shame, as the game conveys deep, cosmic, slow but inevitable, creeping horror that is an almost perfect vessel for some gut-wrenching storytelling.

So, I'm not sure I love the game. But the difficulty has nothing to do with that ;)

12. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    I agree with u on story. This game could have had a great story instead of a few text boxes between quests. Still I dig the game tho.

13. SouL_DragooN

SouL_DragooN Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Architecture for money Games for Fun
    Mansfield Texas
    Curious as to what quest you are currently on ;) Just trying to analyze as we go.

14. SouL_DragooN

SouL_DragooN Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Architecture for money Games for Fun
    Mansfield Texas
    Glad I could help =).. let me know if you need more ;)

15. eusti

eusti Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks from here as well for getting us the info and clarifying the power=faith thingy!

D.

16. eusti

eusti Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    One thing I noticed earlier and it came up again today: When you beat the end boss of the levels and retrieve the head before your are asked to do so you can get a nice collection going... But Dr. Sierra takes all of them away when you go to her after completing the kill boss quest... Looks like a bug to me...

D.

17. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    It's not a bug, I summed up Dr. Sierra right here.

18. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    lol...

19. eusti

eusti Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    I had a big chuckle when I read that first! But honestly I think it should be fixed...

D.

20. arglactable

Jun 3, 2010
    As far as the story goes, yeah, it's really campy, and there are a lot of typos and some awkward phrasing (I am constantly feeling the urge correct the text in this game), but I think I kind of adds to the charm. In kind of a B list horror movie kind of way. It's also an interesting juxtaposition to the admittedly excellent atmosphere of the game (which kind of reminds me of System Shock 2, actually).

A couple of little quirks I noticed in the interface that have started to get on my nerves as I continue to play.

1 - The game's inability to recognize when you are moving a skill from one slot to another (telling you that you can only have on of any skill type on your action bar), which means that you have to move it to your skills inventory and then back to the action bar to do this. This problem applies to weapons as well, I believe.

2 - The ability to compare store items to your equipped items seems like something that should be there.

3 - The fact that when you try to compare a weapon or shield from your inventory to your equipped items it only compares to whatever is in your right hand (presumably because essentially the same code was used as for all the armor pieces)?

4 - Automatic interactions that pop menus in your face in the middle of combat, including the inescapable hacking mini-game that could be a major problem if you get near the object with enemies near by (I was lucky in that respect). You can also start this interactions while facing away from the object, which is probably not good either.