Universal Missile Cards (By Nathan Meunier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 28, 2017.

1. NathanMeunier

NathanMeunier Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Freelance Writer / Indie Dev
    No prob! I think there are typically a lot of different factors that can change things from game to game, dev to dev, and even launch to launch.

Price certainly has a big impact, too, and the quality and genre of the game itself as well. Always tricky to try to gauge how things will go up front, but it's interesting and often useful to look back and see how a specific game did to learn what you can from every launch.

Cheers!
    -Nathan

2. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I'm really enjoying the game. I like how strategy changes as you go through the different levels.

3. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    There is a lot of luck but with that a good strategy can help almost just as much. Keep in mind every card you let run threw the line gets reshuffled and will show up later. So if you see a 2 comet coming, don't use a 4 missile card if possible.. or if you don't see anything on the radar let it pass until you "need" it. Load up a ray Collecter or discard them to charge your base power etc...

4. Jigmelingpa

Jigmelingpa New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Fantastic game!

Congrats on this truly special game, I love it! Automatic 5 star review.

One quick comment on the base laser, my favorite upgrade: is it better to leave it at level 3? Seems much less useful to me when it takes 4 or more discards to charge it. Seems like 3 discards for 3 damage may be the sweet spot. I wish there was a way to choose the level, because after upgrading it, it actually seems worse!

5. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #165 RHess00, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    I could be wrong but I thought all base upgrades take 4 cards to charge. My laser at level 6 takes 4 cards and my base shield at level 1 takes 4 cards. I think my laser always took 4 cards to charge but I might be misremembering.

Edit: I guess I was wrong but I can confirm that it takes 4 cards for level 6 so you get 3 extra power for only one more card.

6. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    Anything new about iCloud for this game? I want to buy it but I need iCloud in this game

7. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks! So glad you are enjoying it! TBH, the base laser does pack a punch at its max level, but you're right in that the tradeoff is it takes more to charge and can't be used quite as frequently. If you're a heavy base laser user, you might want to keep it in the middle range of its strength to be able to use it more frequently.

I tried to balance that a bit to not make it too over-powered.

Cheers!

8. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for checking in. As far as I can tell, it seems that iCloud isn't currently supported for Game Maker Studio (the engine I used to build the game), but I'm going to keep looking into it, because I'd like to be able to have this for future games. Can't find a lot of info about if it's doable or how to implement it in the code for this particular third-party engine, so I unfortunately won't be able to add it in right now.

Hoping I can find some intel on this, though, as it's been requested by a few people and seems pretty handy.

Thanks!

9. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Awesome, thanks a bunch! :)

10. Jigmelingpa

Jigmelingpa New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    #170 Jigmelingpa, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

Yes, that's what I'll do I think. I have to erase my data to reset the upgrades and start from the beginning again, but that's ok because it's such a fun game. I wonder if being able to manually adjust the level of the base laser (down to level 3 for example) after unlocking everything would be possible?

11. zeuhl

zeuhl Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Great game, original and difficulty is spot on. I've done all the missions, core and bonus. Tough but fun. Any chance of more levels, cards or missions soon?

12. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Wow, that's badass! I'm definitely going to do *something* RE: additional content. Right now, I'm still winding down from launch mode, and Missile Cards is only 50% of the way towards breaking even, financially, so I don't have the funds needed to really double down and sink a lot of time into add-on content just yet. I still have a freelance day job (and funds are tight right now, even with the game doing pretty well), so I'm going to have to see how the rest of the month goes.

But it's something I'd like to do, even if that's an infinite mode, or something else that adds more to the mix. Definitely stay tuned. I should have a better sense of things soon. I'll very likely put some kind of update together, just need to see what that'd look like, and figure out how much time and resources it'd take to pull off.

Thanks a bunch for checking out the game! I also have some other card-based projects in the works I'm chipping away at, too.

Cheers!
    -Nathan

13. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Infinite mode yes plz

14. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Just bought this last night based on community buzz and a responsive developer. Good stuff so far (only played for an hour), here's hoping for App Store success and more games from this dev in the future.

15. zeuhl

zeuhl Member

Oct 3, 2010

Thank you for the reply. Great game and well worth the price as it is. Infinite mode or more missions, even with the same bases, would be great.

16. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks a bunch! Noted, thx! I'll have a think on it and plan on doing some sort of content update in the nearish-ish future. Catching my breath right now for a bit. Cheers and thanks again!

-Nathan

17. Farmboy

Farmboy New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks for making this fun game! Apologies if this has been asked (couldn't find it in the thread), but I'm currently clearing the bonus objectives and can't quite figure out what you mean by 'Clear all cards'. I've tried ending the level with no equipped cards left but I don't think that worked (though I'm not sure I managed it, it's been a while).

Hope Nathan is still around, or anyone else knows.

18. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    #178 NathanMeunier, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Hey there! Glad you're digging the game! (I'm still around off and on, though still recovering after an exciting/exhausting launch month).

For that bonus objective, you basically have to win a match with ZERO cards left in the deck and zero cards left in any slots (both the conveyor belt AND the charge slots).

ALSO...UPDATE:

It's been slow going this month due to some personal challenges, but I'm working on a small update that will fix a few rare/lingering bugs that folks have messaged me about. Sorry for the delay on that! I've almost got them ironed out and ready to submit a patch.

The two biggies are 1) Some players are still running into rare issues in base 4 with antivirus cards not always clearing the hacks when triggered (I've got that fixed in this update, I believe).

2) Very rare but occasional crash on the final base when beating a match, depending on some very specific things I'm trying to sort out. Shouldn't happen with most folks, but it does pop up.

Also some other minor fixes in the works.

Cheers all!
    -Nathan

19. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Is the iPhone XS Max screen supported?

20. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male