Universal Missile Cards (By Nathan Meunier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 28, 2017.

1. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    My reading comprehension is fine, it seems like your the one with entitlement issues.

Also, landscape on a PC monitor =/= landscape on a phone. Just because a game was previously on PC does not mean the devs don't have to tweak any of the UI or art assets for landscape on the phone. It's called aspect ratios.

2. NathanMeunier

NathanMeunier Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Freelance Writer / Indie Dev
    :D The score multiplier grid is a very subtle, but very vital aspect of the gameplay, especially if you're gunning to hit those score-based missions. It also ramps up the tension slightly, because holding off to let hazards fall into the highest scoring grid row puts them dangerously close to your bases. It's all about risk vs reward.

3. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Any chance for a portrait mode?

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Great game and I'm totally happy I bought it. I would put my vote in for portrait mode but I know your a one man developer so I wouldn't hold it against you if it's not implemented. It's just that I like to game on my iPad and it's cumbersome to hold in portrait mode for log periods of time.

5. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I think this exchange just made your point about the heated nature of these debates, vectorarchitekt!

Just to get my vote in, I am quite firmly in the portrait camp for card games but fully understand if it isn't feasible for the proper layout and execution of a given game. If the game is good enough, I'll just suffer through it...haha! It's just not nearly as easy to get a quick, casual game in.

6. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Had completely missed this. Thanks RHess!

7. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Hopefully Apple will realize this game deserves some feature time, but in the meantime surely this has to be a top contender for Game of the Week here?

8. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Easily game of the week. :D

9. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure if it's of interest to folks here, but I posted an in-depth article about how Missile Cards is coming along, launch-wise, plus some backstory about it and some (hopefully motivational) bits about overcoming failure, etc. Also talks about goals for the launch.

Worth a read even if you're not necessarily interested in gamedev per se.

Why Failure Is No Excuse To Give Up

Also, thanks again for your support everyone! Cheers!
    -Nathan

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Nice write up of your struggles. I can relate somewhat as I quit a good job and struggled for years as a business software entrepreneur before finding success. I hope it works out for you and I will support you by buying your game.

11. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Any paid dlc or expansion in the works?this card game is totally addictive and super fun....
    Been playing this since yesterday

12. Witlogic

Witlogic Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Who's the jerk

Nathan, who was the AAA dev that slagged your game?

13. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Now Featured, Congrats!

14. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    holy %$#%#%@%$#%#@

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'd like to know too. If mentioning the actual developer isn't something viable, perhaps mention one of the games...you know...you played as a kid? ;)

16. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for the read!

Have you managed to improve your game comparing to steam version?

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I don't know how I missed this game. It could be all the wonderful drugs in on post surgery hehe. I'm in.

It's paid for. It's installed. Going in deep. Let's do this!!!

Billy

18. cih

cih Member

May 12, 2017
    I dropped my full-time office job to pursue my dreams about eight months ago (I'd rather not mention industries but let's just say my past and future careers are in the creative field). Whilst I've come a long way, I am nowhere near where I'd like to be. Freelance gigs are too far in-between, which led me to burn a lot of savings. There are times I question if it's even worth it. I could easily just get back to my previous career, but just last week I rejected another offer. It's almost madness, considering I'm fairly broke but also extremely lucky to have a partner that supports me and shares my dreams. But I know that I can't go back to office, I need to be doing what I'm doing for myself, under my own name. I'm terrible at networking, although I know a lot about digital marketing, I can't put my knowledge into my own stuff... But I can't stop. There are still so many ideas to realise, so many projects to complete, so many stories I want to tell. Your article felt so familiar I felt the need to write these down. Raising my cup of coffee to your tired and ambitious soul, Nathan. You already know this but you also need to hear it, again and again (just like I do): The game is great. You've done a fantastic job. I hope to purchase your next mobile hit, too. Let's keep doing what we love doing. Cheers.

19. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Holy shit!

I love this game!!!! This game gets Billy's seal of approval. I got my ass handed to me on my first game lol. It's fun!!! You wouldn't think that this game could work but it actually does. I also really really love the entire debri collection/upgrade system. It's freaken awesome. Even though I lost I feel a sense of accomplishment because you earn some debri.

The art style of this game is absolutely awesome!!! I really love it. Whoever did the artwork did a great job.

The entire game just comes together so well. The entire risk/reward system is awesome. It's not easy but not so hard that you want to throw the phone. The strategy is great!

Seriously everyone should get this game. You cannot beat this premium experience. I've also not experienced any gameplay or crashing issues and I noticed there's cloud game saves. This dev got things right!

Now I'm off to leave my 5 star review on the AppStore.

Billy

20. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Congrats Nathan! It's well deserved.