Universal Missile Cards (By Nathan Meunier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 28, 2017.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    It's a great fit. I really like the progression and upgrades. Oh and the sound effects are fantastic! I'm going to jump over to the App Store and leave a review.

2. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Came with a bit of hype, which so far seems totally appropriate. Unless Apple features it, not sure it will get the attention it deserves on the AppStore, but not surprised the TA crowd has taken to it, its a perfect example of what is possible when devs prioritize solid gameplay over freemium monitization schemes. Simple and refreshing, love it.

3. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thank you for taking time to respond and being so active here on TA. That alone has convinced me to buy the game although I have 25+ games that I haven't even touched yet on iOS... yikes! Haha

I totally understand the challenge of small developers and as a non-programmer I have no true understanding of the challenge you described but again understand it isn't possible and fully respect and appreciate you describing the issue for me.

Good luck with this game!

4. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Is this game deviantly difficult like Rauers and TTT's recent spins on solitaire. Looking for something approachable.

5. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Bought based off the prevailing good vibes and a responsive dev.

Anything that pays homage to Missile Command is alright in my book (not yet available).

Oh and no IAP nonsense.

6. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    What an awesome little game!!!!

7. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks, LG (and Scott), I'm in!

8. Klonis

Klonis Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game.Highly recommended!

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant - played for ages last night and still haven't won a round but keep coming back for more. Only thing that slightly confuses me is the unlocking of special power cards. I've bought the one that allows you to choose which missile to target and I know you charge it by discarding cards but I've yet to actually see it working? The bottom right button for it just always seems to stay locked. (And yes I've equipped it which admittedly I didn't do for the first few times after I'd bought it!).

10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

The new cards you buy show up in your deck as you play. Sounds like you're referring to the base upgrades?

11. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Ahh yes apologies I think I got slightly confused - I've bought the manual missile card and it's obviously just not popped up in a game yet.....

12. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #52 Lull4by, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Really addictive gameplay, just beat the first level after the second try, nice job dev!

Here are some tips for those who still stuck in the first level, you don't need ANY upgrade/equipment card to beat it.

0. Play the tutorial again, Understand the Rule is the key to win.

1. The first free AP move is really important.

2. In some bad situations, sacrificing sub-bases are needed, especially when you don't have enough "charged" laser/missile cards to shoot down multiple risks.

3. Sometimes, it is better to skip the round.

4. Don't be greedy!

5. Calculate the required charge time first when you don't know which card you should use.

BTW Is there any plan for Portrait mode? it will be great if we can play the game by using one hand, since it is the mobile port :)

13. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Good tips - that one was the most important one for me to get my head round

14. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
    intersting game
    it looks simple but it isnt
    three stars for this release

15. noselessman

noselessman New Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Game Maker
    New Jersey Swamplands
    Hey Nathan! Rob Lemon here. Congratulations on the launch. Looks awesome. I could not have clicked the purchase button more quickly.

To anyone who's on the fence, GET IT! Loads of strategic, 'make sure you think ahead or you die' goodness!!

16. NathanMeunier

NathanMeunier Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Freelance Writer / Indie Dev
    Thanks a bunch! Honestly, user reviews, especially when people are enjoying the game, are such a HUGE help to me right now. Getting those ratings/reviews on the board early on in the launch makes a difference, especially when other potential players are browsing.

Thanks again!

17. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    I'm really grateful to everyone in the TA community, which has been so welcoming and encouraging. I wasn't sure about bringing the game to mobile, but the early response from folks here has really shown me that iOS is where it's at for the type of games I want to continue making.

Hoping for an Apple feature today, as that will ultimately make or break launch, but either way, day one sales have been pretty encouraging. Thanks everyone for your support!

And RE: freemium, yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it. Would rather focus on releasing games that are quality games, vs games designed to shake people down for maximum cash.

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This brings a tear to my eye and made me smash the buy button. Back in the day I played the stuffing out of Missile Command on my Atari 400 computer. So it hits my nostalgia buttons.

19. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks a bunch!

The first handful of matches can be the trickiest for new players, but it definitely starts to click after a bit. Hang in there! :D By the time you get to the harder bases, the first tier feels like a cakewalk, but by then you typically also have upgrades to help you survive, too.

So to help clarify:

RE: card unlocks, you have to plug them into the available slots in that card menu. Once you do that, they get shuffled into the core deck your'e given for each area.

Base Abilities, which are unlocked by gaining XP and spending base points, also have to be "plugged in" to be active in a match. That slot is in the base upgrades menu. And those special base power "chip"-like things are what you can charge up with discards.

I probably could have made it all a bit clearer, but those two types of upgrades can be combined in powerful ways to really help you stay alive, and they're essential for high level play and surviving the last few bases.

:)

20. NathanMeunier

Apr 27, 2017
    These are all great tips, yeah!

When I first started prototyping MC, I had it in portrait mode...but then I opted for a Steam release first and figured it'd be a lot easier to do widescreen/landscape for mutli-platforms. Making that shift actually led to alot of cool design decisions I wouldn't have had otherwise, but going back to a portrait setup would break a ton of code, sadly.

HOWEVER -- I'm already working on more card game projects for iOS, and those are in portrait mode for one-handed play. They'll also be mobile-only, likely, given that there seems to be a MUCH more enthusiastic audience for unique card games on iOS than on PC/Steam.

Cheers!