Minigore (Hardgore prequel)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TimoVihola, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will you buy Minigore when it is released?

1. Yes

193 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Nachos Bel Grande

24 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Subway Foot Long Meatball on Hearty Italian, Toasted

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. White Castle Cheeseburger Crave Case

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Shaking to jump is bad period in an action game like this.

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Have it be an attack with a cooldown and when it's ready, a button appears just above attack controller. During cooldown the attack icon would be transparent and is glowy or solid when it's available for use. Lol, no shaking then.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I might be able to live with this. I'm definitely AGAINST the idea of needing to "touch the point you want to land". I also guess I also have to agree the old "shake to do something" is rarely as precise as needed (either not sensitive enough or so sensitive that just in the course of normal play it interprets my movements as a shake.

4. Rithkil

Rithkil Active Member

May 17, 2009
    Student
    Bellingham, WA
    I think a double-tap anywhere on the screen would be good for jumping, as long as you can direct your fall.

5. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    Minigore dev diary

For some of you it might be interesting to know how this whole project started:

Last summer after we had finished our PSP game we started prototyping a new game, back then it was a project targeted for PS3's Playstation Network. We did about 12-15 game prototypes and then one day I happened to buy an iPhone as a carry around sketchbook ("Colors" is the name of the drawing app. I had used the app on Nintendo DS before so I knew it was worth the 500 USD ;)). Once I started buying games I suddenly realized it's actually a damn fine handheld gaming system! Not just a phone or an MP3 player. So we brainstormed for a while how to get our game idea fit the new platform and that's basically how Minigore and Hardgore as you know it were born.

PS3 version had stuff like building rigging with explosives and complex guard AI (designed by the talented Crysis AI lead) and procedural level generation. That's actually how the graphical look developed, the requirement was it had to be possible to generate procedurally. Looking back we were actually pretty far along the development process, even had a playable demo. Unfortunately for PS3 owners the project is currently on hold, though we may get back to it next year...

Artwork of the original PS3 version of "Hardgore" (aka "Captain Catastrophe" and several other names we had for the game :)):

[​IMG]

(practically everything except the main character has changed - we moved the game into a fantasy setting and instead of going through objectives & missions it become a survival shooter)

Some gameplay graphs of the PS3 version: (If you're familiar with old PC & Amiga classic Cannon Fodder that's pretty close to the gameplay it would have had. Explosive barrels for the win!)

[​IMG]

Personally I like it when devs share their development process and I have few more pieces I can show if you're interested in seeing them.
    ---

Anyway, back on topic. Here's brand new concept art from the release trailer (It involves more of the backstory):

[​IMG]

PS. Interesting ideas on the jumping mechanic. We discussed the implementation at work today, but made no concrete decisions about it yet.

PS2. In the next couple of weeks we're gonna need a few beta-testers, any volunteers? Experience with beta-testing is a big plus because we intend to release polished and bug free app so please mention if you have past experience.

PS3. I have no third thing to say, I just had to for the pun :)

6. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Beta testing volunteer...sign me up. I have PC beta testing experience.

7. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Experienced beta tester at your service!

8. Glowz

Glowz Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I would love to beta test, I have tested games on another platform and I have also "tried" working on a pc game of my own. I have won some promo codes for apps as well. I would be able to tell you sugguestions, bugs and ideas :) As for take pictures of glitches and maybe spread word about the game.

9. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    I'm in for beta testing! :D

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Count me in for the beta testing as well!

I love getting to see some of the artwork from what could have been.

PS (cause you're not the only one that can use them) I'm also beta testing Fat Princess for ps3 in case you ever do decide to develop for the platform

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'll gladly do beta testing, this game looks great!

12. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    beta tester at your service!;)

13. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    #53 Shokz, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    Ooh pick me, pick me!

I'd actually really love to test this, it's the most interesting game I've seen in a while.

Beta tested a few big games 'recently', Battlefield Heroes back around Christmas before they decided to delay it for months, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2 (gave a lot of feedback on that), Playstation Home and Motorstorm Pacific Rift :) Does the Windows 7 Beta count? ;)

14. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    i would love beta testing!!

15. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    That makes nine of us already and you only clicked post on the idea three seconds ago ;)

16. Stile

Stile New Member

May 14, 2009
    I'd love to beta test this also, looks very cool. I'm a software engineer, I don't make games, but I "beta" test our software all the time :)

17. ricardotnet

ricardotnet Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    I would love to beta test for this app!!!

18. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    count me in if beta tester position is still open!

19. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I would love to be a beta tester!

20. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I'm still hoping that you guys eventually do a fleshed out game for the iPhone with all those objectives, gameplay setups and such.

And yeah I'm up for the beta testing too.