iPad Mini Shogi (Japanese Chess) Released!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by xenoclone, Apr 30, 2009.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The game looks great.

Since this isn't a full shogi bored how long do the games last in general?

2. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Looks good! Would you be willing to add contact information on the iTunes page? I looked around but couldn't find an email address. It'd be great to have that info available from the support website :D

Thanks!

3. Thanks for the comments!

Games are pretty short. Under 10 minutes. It depends on what level of difficulty, how long you take to think, etc.

I'll put support info on the site. The email is support (at) cascadiagames.com

4. Just a brief note: this game is now $0.99. I'd like to get it in more hands, so hopefully a price drop helps that. :)

5. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    i suck at chess to the point of hilarity, but i still love lgic games.

if there a youtube version of you how to play tutiral that si included in the game, if i can see that and like the look of the way shogi works i will deifnitly buy.

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    That is an awfully small board, xenoclone. I guess that is the mini part.

7. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    BTW this game is Chess in name only :) Completely different move structure. Just got this today and I'm confused as hell lol. I have to spend some loving time with it in the next couple of weeks to really get into it.

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Deb, I am going to attach the word 'chess' to every app I produce just so I know I will have a built in audience of at least one. ;)

9. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    lol Guilty as charged :D

I'm marrying the first guy that comes out with a Crazyhouse app.

10. In the iPhone version, there is no background. The board fills the entire screen. I just want to make that clear. :D

11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    What I meant is;
    I googled Shogi and found pictures of 9x9 boards. The board in your game appears to be 5x6. I'm not a puritan and I'm not complaining: I'm just saying. Not knowing squat about the game, does that mean some of the characters/pieces are missing?

12. No pieces are missing. Certain play styles, however, don't have them all. I did do a little merging. So if a promoted lance plays like a gold general, I just had it promote into a gold general.

Your are correct that normal Shogi is 9x9. I wanted to do something a little easier for folks. "Official" Mini Shogi has a 5x5 board, but keeps "drops" (i.e. returning captured pieces to the board). I went simpler, cutting the drops, but putting the board on 5x6 such that folks had a little more room to play. :)

13. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I will have to take a closer look at the rules later tonight. :)

14. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    You people lost me at Shogi :p

I find out that the games that confuse me the most at the beginning are the ones I love the most at the end. I'm also finding that as I get older I get more easily confused :(

15. About 9/10 people tell me the game confuses them at first. I did encounter one fellow though that completely scoffed at how easy it was!

It looks like the price drop worked. Thanks for the comments, guys!

16. Just as an FYI, I've released an update to this game. It should put the download size to about 8.5MB, which allows the 3Gers to download it. A few other minor imperfections have been smoother over as well. :D

17. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Heck no, I'll be the first to marry the person to make crazyhouse on iPhone. D:
    Speaking of which, why isn't there one already? I thought there was an app for everything? :(

Chinese chess and Japanese chess still confuse me to this date. I'll stick with regular chess for now. Mini chess app out soon? :D

18. I submitted mini chess at the same time as the shogi update. So assuming it doesn't get rejected for some crazy reason, it should be out in the next day or so. I'll do a post about it when it arrives. :D