Out Now Mini Motorways (by Dinosaur Polo Club)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 17, 2019.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    iPad all the way. The game is a perfect fit on a big touchscreen.

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  2. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm loving this game but it doesn't quite compare to Metro yet. There are only a handful of cities, only one 'achievement' for each one, only one mode (Metro has 4 currently), the controls aren't quite as intuitive (you can't just drag a new road.. you have to touch the screen first), and there is no replay after you finish, which is one of my favorite things about the original.

Also, as others have noted, it's hard to tell what contributes to losses since things like traffic signals and motorways don't have an obvious and clear benefit after you place them.

All of these things can be fixed/expanded and/or explained better with updates obviously, since it's still very early. Mechanically and visually I really like having something *like* Mini Metro that is also new and different, though. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait for it to grow.

3. Kalesti

Kalesti Member

Oct 1, 2016
    It is a bit different on PC (I assume Mac is identical to the PC version) with IOS being a bit simplified. Both versions have there merits. If you had to have one I’d go with a mobile version.

4. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    Interesting... what is different with the Mac version?

5. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I’m finding it slightly clunky. I’m enjoying p the game itself but I don’t like the zoom in/out when you try to build or delete. I’m finding myself accidentally building things all the time. I rage quit it when it got me to build a motorway because I just could not get it to start where I wanted and then couldn’t delete it.
    I love Metro but at the moment it’s annoying me more than I’m enjoying it.

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I like Mini Motorways a lot, just got a new record on LA of 390 points, it’s not much yet but it’s okayish ha ha.

7. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy Mini Metro. This game appeals to me more, but I feel like I'm constantly fighting the interface: accidentally exiting build mode when I'm just trying to move, motorways not laying down, etc. It also crashed in the middle of my best game, which is always a bummer.

8. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Some people seem to be getting some enjoyment from this but from my perspective the interface is utterly broken on this and I can't be bothered to fight it to play the game with such a glut of better games landing on my phone.

Such a shame after Mini Metro, which is a classic for the ages.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #29 ste86uk, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    I just made it to 393 and thought I was doing good but even though I had motorways and good routes with multiple connection points so areas didn’t jam up, I still wasn’t getting enough vehicles to the right places on time.

Although even if that didn’t happen I’d of lost soon after because I didn’t have a bridge to build and buildings started popping up across the third river.

Just made it to 298 on Beijing but even though I had a motorway from nearly all the grey houses to the grey factory I still lost with not enough getting there. Sometimes it does feel unbalanced.

Also the game heats my phone up quite a bit and uses a large chunk of battery it seems for a simple game.

10. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    I have the same issues as others have described: Hard to fullfill demand even when all houses of the right color are closely connected, and excessive battery drain compared to the simplicity of the game.

Hopefully we'll see an update soon that adresses these things.

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I can’t help feeling like traffic lights cause more traffic rather than help it.

12. Mike Kurrle

Mike Kurrle Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Male
    Here are some things that have helped me go from the 300-500s to the 700s more consistently. I'm no pro, so edit out the nonsense and use what works.
    • Don't worry about the look of the roads
      • I used to try and make roads all align and make them look like a city would; kind of like a grid system. I changed that and started making roads directly to the houses. Direct routes are faster. Your roads will intersect eventually, but be efficient with the roads you have early on.
      • I started adding angled roads, corners and roundabouts more.
    • Try to keep only one color car on the road until you can't anymore.
      • Even if you have to make a road go the long way around (within reason) another road.
      • This keeps cross traffic down and the flow of traffic going.
      • Eventually you will have to add some cross roads but this really helps you get farther into the game
    • Stock up on roads early on
      • Pick roads after each day for the first 3-4 rounds. I try to stock up 40-50+ if possible. They will be needed later on to solve problems in your city.
      • Usually you won't need a highway until later
      • If roads aren't available, pick bridges. On most maps bridges will be more helpful than highways earlier on.
    • Forget stop lights
      • I haven't been able to figure out how to use stop lights to make things better. Usually they make things worse.
      • Let me know if you've figured out
    • Use the pause button!
      • When things start getting crowded and you're feeling the stress, pause the game. While paused you can rework all the problem areas.
    That's all I can think of at the moment. I would love to hear what is working for you guys.

13. snej

snej New Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Touch seems like the ideal way to play this game, so I’d say iPad.

Mike Kurrle likes this.
  14. snej

snej New Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I’ve been checking daily to see if the game’s been updated, but not yet. Nevertheless, I managed to score 844 in Beijing yesterday, so I must be getting the hang of it and I can’t keep blaming the game :)

My top wish right now is that, when a building goes into emergency-countdown mode, the car(s) that are delayed would highlight so I can see what roads to improve.

Mike Kurrle likes this.
  15. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Apparently there’s a patch coming this week that will have fixes for accidental activation of home bar/notifications etc. improved traffic lights (thank god), tweaks to car behaviour and other fixes.

Source: DinoPoloJair on reddit.

ste86uk and Mike Kurrle like this.
  16. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Managed to get to 650 on the LA map :D

it also depends very much on where the buildings are generated, sometime they are just too close to be able to get a proper flow.

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    So I updated and my first score was 1085! Did really well, although I have to say even since the update the traffic lights still sucked for me and started making problems so I had to delete them and did without.

ROGER-NL likes this.
  18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Still nowhere near the leaders though.

Attached Files:

19. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Got a new highscore, love the game after the update with the Roundabouts.
    Was not very good at it when the game launches, but the game improved and so did I.
    Got now 2553 points on Los Angeles.

MetaGonzo likes this.
  20. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Roundabouts are a great addition.

Still haven’t seen value in traffic lights but there you go.

It remains one of my faves, despite it’s foibles. Path finding is so much better compared to launch and it’s a much smoother experience now.

Like Metro it’s evolving and expanding and needless to say, long may it continue.

ROGER-NL likes this.