Universal Mini Motor Racing (By The Binary Mill)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Dec 7, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thanks for the heads up. I stopped reading the app info when I saw "wifi and bluetooth." They mentioned GC the line after. Will pass then.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Just downloaded and can confirm it's local only.

3. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Quick impressions after a few minutes play, but I just wanted to say this is much better than I expected and the impression I got from the video was inaccurate.

The steering works much better with the "wheel" option, allowing you to take corners much smoother with a little practice and actually to a good extent control the degree of drift.

The different cars handle differently and are beautifully animated, relaying the sense of weight shifting and contact with the road very well. They still perhaps feel a tad "light" to me but there's no question the design "works."

I spent a good little bit of time just replaying the first track with a couple of different cars purely because the driving feel was fun.

Definitely recommended on what I've seen so far, and in a pretty big way.

EDIT: P.S. Now I want online multiplayer.

4. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I really don't know why some developers waste their time with local multiplayer. Not every one have bunch of siblings sitting at home waiting to play with them. A game like this especially should have online multiplayer (with local added for convenience! )

I was also hoping for online multiplayer, but only local means I'll get bored very fast racing against AI opponents.

5. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Ok, so please tell me that I am going to be happy if I go into this thinking this is the closest thing to RC-Pro AM? Please, please, please...

6. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, Gabrien.
    When you give a good review to a game its usually well deserved.

Buying it then.

7. Tesep

Tesep Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Heh me too, both great games

Was surprised to see a Fruit Ninja track and I've unlocked a Fruit Ninja car :) though I'm not going to use it since I've spent most of my cash on updating my current car.

8. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I think you'll be happy, but maybe try to just take this game on its own terms. If anything the handling here is more realistic, but in the best way possible. Honestly, the impression I got from the video before could not have been more wrong, but that "wheel" steering option is really key. I guess the slider should work as well; point being analogue steering makes all the difference.

I'm still on that first track in career mode just replaying it with different cars to pick up on the subtleties with which each one takes a corner and how differently the weight shifts between them.

Bottom line is this is a heap of fun.

9. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    How many tracks? Variety of tracks?

10. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Thanks! Realistically, I'm going to buy the game, just like every other release. And, just like most of the big releases, I probably won't even play it. Lol!

I don't know why I do this to myself. :p

11. Tesep

Tesep Member

Nov 11, 2011
    AFAIK there are 10 different tracks and you just play them in different times of day and reversed. However there could be more tracks (IMO there probably isn't) as I haven't finished the game yet.

12. JTBentley

JTBentley Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Technical Director @ The Binary Mill
    Gold Coast, Australia
    You can get a good idea by watching the trailer here.

13. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    You had me at AirPlay <3

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Meh, I'll grab it since the impressions have been so good thus far. Another racing game couldn't hurt. It's only $1.99 anyways. Hope we'll see online multiplayer in the future.

15. TheBinaryMill

TheBinaryMill Well-Known Member

Hey guys - great to hear that some of you have managed to get your hands on the game already!

We wanted online multiplayer in Mini Motor Racing (and still do!) but it takes a lot of time to get right, and we thought it was important to release the game before year's end. As those that have been following the game's development will tell you, it's been a long road and we didn't want a Duke Nukem Forever delay scenario :p So, we're hopeful to be able to add it in a future patch!

- Ingmar

16. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    @Developer:

Could you please add an option to disable all upgrades for any given car? A simple toggle would work. I don't mean getting your money refunded, just a toggle between "stock" car at the start of game and back to whichever point you were in the upgrading process. On/off upgrades sort of thing.

The reason I ask is I played a lot with the stock car model at the start, and after having upgraded it actually kinda miss the feel of it right at the beginning. It would also be a way to give myself a challenge to see how far I could progress without any upgrades at all.

Would this be possible to put in?

17. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #57 spleen, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Found a bug - maybe.

Is anyone else having trouble using the steering wheel control (death rally style) in Grand Prix (rev) in the Turbo Cup? It isn't aligned to the camera angle of the track so the car doesn't go where the wheel is pointing (it seems to want to go 90 degrees to the left of where the wheel is pointing, so as soon as the race starts the car immediately slams in to a wall). This is the only track it happens on, and no amount of restarting the app of my iPad will fix it (HD version, by the way). Hardly a gamebreaking bug, but it's a bother as I am terrible with any other control method.

18. fuchsia

fuchsia Member

Oct 12, 2011
    fast n furious !

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I told myself I wasn't going to spend any more on the App Store until after Christmas, but I've been waiting on MMR for so long I'm not sure I can hold back...

...downloading now :rolleyes:

20. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    Definitely worth it!

2 other very minor bugs:

Every now and then the lap counter doesn't display correctly, see: image.

The other is when you crash or flip the car occasionally it wont reset or takes a very long time to, especially on the Alpine and Desert tracks (getting stuck on your side against a wall seems more common, probably because of all the jumps). Also during large pile ups sometimes you will end up infinitely stuck while other cars reset and more slam in to you. Would it be possible to add a manual "reset car" button? It could be in the pause menu so no clutter is added to the UI.