Universal Mini Metro (By Dinosaur Polo Club)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    I noticed passengers not getting on as well, but it might be because the station wasn't actually hooked up. It's possible to have a track going "through" a station without being attached to it. The line will be hollowed out on the section where it crosses a disconnected station. You can adjust the line to get it attached if you want to.

Also agree this game is great. It's really simplistic but engaging. My only gripe is managing lines when multiple are overlapping. If there was a way to prevent lines from being selected (e.g. hiding lines by tapping them on the side maybe?) then it would be a lot better. As it is, I have to zoom in to manage things.

It could also use a tutorial. I didn't notice how to properly disconnect a line from a station until well after my first game (hold the line over a station, wait for a second and it disconnects).

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I was able to play the new Daily Challenge once but now it is grayed out. Yesterday I could play repeatedly to better my score. Glitch?

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I didn't recently realize there was a daily board. Awesome!
    I can't express enough how awesome this game is. Truly a classic. I was excited when they first announced it, and it is better than I'd even hoped. Look, ambient music/sounds, controls, all of it.

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Passengers not getting on a train may also be because the train is not heading directly to the station they want to go to, or the line(s) do not connect up to their destinations

The touch control can be troublesome, especially when rerouting the line. I find pausing the game first would be less frustrating.

5. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Liking the game so far, but burns the hell out of my IPad Air 2 battery!

6. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I've been watching tutorial videos but they're all from the PC version.
    On PC you can quickly select a color and delete all lines of that color. Is there a way to do this on iOS?

Thanks

7. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    The more I play, I feel the touch control scheme does not really optimize for mobile devices. Redrawing lines and relocation locomotives are either hit-or-miss. Fortunately, you do not need to test your patience by pausing the game first. But I would like to see this to be polished.

8. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    My 1st good game just crashed on me, but that's probably because I'm on a 5th gen Touch :'-( Mini Metro made the past 3 hours absolutely _fly_ by in a heart-beat!

Losing doesn't leave me wracked by stress drenched in adrenaline and frustrated the way I hate most mobile and especially endless games for doing—free, premium, or indifferent. The soundtrack does a great job of providing feedback, and stays soothing. In fact, I still feel relaxed, as disappointed as I am to have lost my session! Now, _that_ is the kind of quality I look for in a mobile game, the antithesis of a rage-fest or a frantic scramble. *sigh of relief at money well-spent and a whole vista of countless hours of gaming goodness outstretched beckoning before me* I'm so glad I didn't forego this in hopes of a Winter Solstice fire-sale in a couple months' time :)

Thanks to previous commenters here for helping me decide!

Line routing for tunnels ignores rivers so when its auto-path even barely grazes one you're stuck using a tunnel :-/ That happened early in my last session but eventually I grew around it.

I'm still a tad fuzzy on its rules: do passengers of a given shape only have the nearest matching destination as their target, or are their trips distributed across any and all destinations of their shape throughout the map? Must their trip's starting station be on a line along which a destination of their shape lies, or will they transfer happily enough?

9. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    They transfer. Can't vouch for their happiness whilst doing so.
    I for one hate transfers. Chuck an excited 7yr old into the mix and it's like something off The Crystal Maze.

Edit: IRL obvs, I'm not loopy.

10. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I love this game. Also played it a bit on PC around 8 months ago. Even my girlfriend wanted to play the game when she saw it, and she's really not a gamer.

11. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    As much as I'm loving this - and I really am - the controls are beginning to do my head in. It's easy to move the lines about to do certain things but really hard to do things that should be simple.

There are points during a game that should be fun and enjoyable - when you get to the stage when your lines are all over the place and you need to redesign for efficiency and simplicity and instead of looking forward To that stage in the game I'm kind of dreading it because it can be a right pain in the arse to move stuff around.

It's still one of my favorite games so far this year but I just hope they can improve the controls a bit. Not much. Just a bit. Please.

12. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    #52 philodygmn, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    IKR?# Just a vidjagame. I had to get used to divorcing in my mind its problem-set from real ones to learn how to play MiniMetro optimally *chuckling* Like no penalty for "re-digging" tunnels?!# It wouldn't be so fun were it too realistic, right?

So having connections to different shaped destinations is all that matters? For instance: passenger wants a star waiting at a triangle station but that station's line only connects to circles and other triangles, however one of those circles is at a station through which runs another line which _does_ serve a star. Is that good enough or must I run to the star with that particular triangle station's line?

I wish locomotives were clearly visible/accessible paused even while at stations. In transit even full of people they can be yanked between lines. Executing a redesign becomes a cat-and-mouse of several extra pauses needlessly wasting precious seconds. I keep trying to experiment but my spawns thus far have conspired to perpetuate the ambiguity.

Procedural games often feel unfair because programming well enough to give good spawns that aren't too easy is hard. MiniMetro suffers from it a fair amount but so far it hasn't amounted to anything beyond a mild peeve for me.

Still fun & worth the money for the time (especially if routes really are easier than I'm thinking).

13. JChurch

JChurch Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hey, one of the devs here. I'm interested to hear a bit more about how you are finding the controls difficult during the end game. It's something we are always interested in improving.

There are a few 'undocumented' functions in the game that we have trouble explaining to new users without resorting to several lines of text (which we try to avoid to keep the clean minimal design of the game). One feature that didn't make it over from the PC version is the delete-entire-line-button. That will be coming to mobile in a future update, but hopefully in an improved form.

14. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    If I have this right, you have to long press on the end of a line (looks like a "T" hanging off a stop, and hold your press and move the line backwards to each stop until it highlights it, then on to the next stop while keeping your finger touched on the line. Is that correct, cause it is a pain to figure out.

Also, once I have two locomotives on a line, can I remove one? How? Same question with the carriages.

15. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Once you figure out how to change lines, disconnect, & move things around it's an absolute blast.
    Took me a bit to understand how to do that correctly every time. But now it's much more enjoyable.

16. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    T's from a station you can tug away in a direction opposite others sharing the station, immediately. Holding the press you can then lash it onto multiple stations though you must hear it attach for each regardless of whether or not auto-routing passes it through others. Removal requires snagging the line then holding over a station until a shrinking ring appears then vanishes. Carriages can be yanked any time, even full of passengers, to different lines in the direction and at the position you drop them, but they can become inaccessible at stations.

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    This comes to the point where you want to change to terminus of a line (T-shape), which happens to be a interchange with many other lines going through, there is no way to know which line I am selecting -- until I move the finger...

I can disconnect a station from a line by dragging the line between the station you want to disconnect with another one. Some time it is a snap to do, but some time, may be due to the "geometry" of the line, it is very hard and I have to resort to the cancel station by station method.

Last of not least, like point 1 at the top, there is no way to know whether I am successful in selecting a locomotive or I have just highlighted the line instead.

I would suggest changing UI to: click on the line and the line changes to dashed line instead of solid line. Then the player changes the connections between the stations, or use the context menu to add/remove the locomotives on it.

18. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    To reroute an entire line -> pause, zoom if needed, carefully hold the end of line and back track to each station.

To reroute a section in the middle of the line -> pause, zoom if needed, carefully hold the line near the station you want to detach, hold it over the station until it blinks.

I've had no issues with controls when doing the above.

I honestly don't really see a better way to implement the controls. I agree with the dev that the issue is conveying the "hidden" controls in the tutorial somehow. If the extra controls are added to tutorial, I'd also leave the tutorial in the main menu rather than in a sub menu. I imagine many would try to go back and do the tutorial again after a game or two without releasing its still there.

19. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #59 zen_mode, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    This might sound basic, but I assume you're zooming in first to carefully reroute lines in busy areas?

I'm not having the problem you're describing, even in late game.

As for picking up the locomotives, it does show whether you've picked it up or not for me. You can zoom in when doing this too, even if you can't see the destination line, as the screen will scroll in the direction you're moving to.

20. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    #60 philodygmn, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Swipe the T following the direction it sticks out already to select it reliably. Locomotives are not always accessible when near stations; when they are, under your fingertip will show a car shape colored to its target line you can position and orient.

I would love Pause to be more info-rich:
    Tap the lower-right line color-dots to isolate line/s for easier rerouting and cars for dragging (including ones at stations). Tap stations for a graph of destination types' satisfaction by line; if a line is selected already, show that station's _demand_ by destination type. One of the most frustrating things is having no gauge of demand until it's too late. These report graphs would help a lot, especially if they gave growth projections (e.g. a "next week" tab).

It'd be nice if reassigned cars could be moved until you're ready to un-Pause rather than becoming locked into place, especially since there's an unfreeze penalty for having moved them afterward when you un-Pause, compounding any accidetal drops.