Minecraft

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Electric_Shaman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    So I've just started playing this game that I thought you guys might enjoy...
    http://www.minecraft.net/

Essentially it's a big open sandbox game, where you go out, explore, gather resources and such to build... just about anything you want. Although the first thing you'd want is a shelter, as the game has day and night cycles, and at night all kind of bad guys come out to try and get you.
    It's pretty fun, and seriously addictive.

At the moment there's a free to play weekend going on (although it might go on longer), so take a look if you're interested. Normally the game costs a one time payment of 10 Euros

There's also this player diary if you want to get more of an idea on the game:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/mine-the-gap/

2. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    I absolutely LOVE this game. I spend all day making a sweet base, or bridge, and when im not playing im thinking about what i will be doing on it when i have the time.

Ive been playing it for 2 weeks or so, theres even the minecraft fourm.
    Theres one sig that a guy had, it was AWESOME. It said:

E = Minecraft(squared) like, GENIOUS RIGHT!

I think i might play this game too much though...

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Just picked this game up, and boy do I love it! I'm waiting for the webpage to come back though, I need to buy and download the game to a USB so I can play it in school :D:D:D:D but, I don't use Paypal, for Americans, do we just buy it and it transacts as US dollars?

4. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    #4 Electric_Shaman, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    My biggest fear at the moment is that after the free-to-play session is over, my little kingdom I'm building won't be accessible anymore.

edit: also, i internally refer to it as "Minecrack" now, on account of how addictive it is. MUST. DIG. DEEPER.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I've never understood the point of this game.

6. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    just built myself a jetty, then got killed before i could finish

7. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I heard about it on Joystiq, got it, but didn't understand the purpose of it. I started collecting random things, until nightfall, then we all know what happened :rolleyes:. But now, after watching a tutorial video, this game is AMAZING! I love it!

Edit: so that's 13.25 in US, but can you pay with US?

8. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    PayPal automatically converts the currency for you.

I love this game. :)

9. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    That was pretty much my experience with it too, learned about it from Joystiq, downloaded, didn't know wtf was going on till I read some tutorials.

I know the game is still in alpha, but they really need to add descriptions to the items. At the very least, some names would be nice.

10. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Have a friend @work who swears it's the best "game" he's played in a long time...:confused::confused::confused:

Now if my fellow TA geeks are saying the same thing...:confused:

I'm intrigued! :eek:

11. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Stop trying to understand the point of a game with no objectives.

Just play it. You might be surprised how fun it is.
    But maybe read a short tutorial or something first, at least have the wiki open to assist, as it can be really confusing at first.

12. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    To be honest, i learned about this game fromt hsi youtube commentator seananners. he does a lets play type thing of it, id definitely buy the game but I barely have time to even play Reach with school starting so im gonna have to postpone that one.

13. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    ahah thats how I learned too, Seananners is mellow :p and yeah, my copy of reach JUST came yesturday after a nine month amazon pre-order!!! so its hard to balance, and to the person who said your data won't be there, It still is, and you can play 'offline' now :D well...until he notices

14. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    hehe yea I've been playing in the offline mode too, I really don't mind buying it, but if I won't be able to carry over my save files, and I can continue to play in offline mode, then that's a bit of deal-breaker for me. But I guess eventually Notch will patch it somehow so those people getting a free ride at the moment won't be able to play. But then again...

15. synther

synther Well-Known Member

This game is awesome. I've been playing out for about a week now, and I'm playing online on an awesome server (dutch). Very nice people there and we create a lot of c ool structures.

This game could be one of the best games I've ever played.

16. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    I'm getting this tomorrow :p. Can't wait for online survival!

17. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Revolutionary.

18. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I'm still playing without paying a cent. But I don't receive updates. I started playing on the free weekend and now I'm playing in single player for free :)

19. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Same, I feel kinda bad about it, but then I wouldn't want to risk losing my fortress in the sky.

There is a major update coming soon, so I'll buy it then and start a new world. Sky Fort should be completed by then anyway.

Update details:
    http://www.minecraft.net/boo/
    Looking forward to watches, not so much to torches going out...

20. Donovan1209

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Same, I might purchase it once the game gets farther along maybe.