Minecraft (Should I start live gameplay videos?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jordanrracer, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Hi all, as most people who started to play Minecraft, they get fairly addicted, and enjoy it as much as we can.
    I figured that we should start a live streaming channel ( on www.ustream.tv)
    to let all the people deciding whether to buy the game or just watch along as I do some walkthroughs and fun entertainment getting chased by exploding monsters.

Anyway, what would you think? I already set my channel up, and it can be found here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/minecraft4ever

The advantages: No downloads required, No Registering needed to watch, I have a Mic to talk, and the stream/channel will be based on Minecraft only (presented by desktop recording). The channel will be lag free. (tiny bit of lag since it's live video recording)
    Oh, and theres a Chat Box to talk to other viewers and me (the host).
    In order to use the chat box, you'd need to register, but it's free/quick and easy! :)

NOTE: I did not mean to advertise if this was in that way, just wanted to inform you guys about some good minecraft related topic! :D

PM me for further questions and concerns. (the site is like youtube, but live)

2. iGotIt

iGotIt Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea, but is going to be pretty difficult to gain a lot of traction. For example, strategy games excel at live-streaming their matches because other people have a huge desire to improve their gameplay.

You have to ask yourself what are you going to do to make me want to view your channel? In this type of world a lot of the time is devoted to specific tasks in order to do other things. Not much I could learn from watching someone perform those specific tasks.

But let's say you're building a replica of Battlestar Galactica, then I'd definitely be interested in watching.

3. Jordanrracer

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Well, I'm not exactly going to build a huge pixelart drawing out of blocks or anything, I don't have enough skill for that. ;)
    I'm planning on performing other games in the future, but I'd like to see to get 5+ viewers if I can first. I can promise that I will be doing usually exciting stuff, including going into the "Hell" world, getting chased by mobs (enemies), and blowing up random pieces of land.

As for now, it's not going to be a serious thing, just for entertainment purposes.

I forgot to mention i'm going to look for Chat Room/Channel mods (free volunteering).
    But look, Its Minecraft? Who wouldn't watch/play this! :p

I'l put the link on my signature.

4. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Generally, watching people play Minecraft is really boring.

There is no need for people to watch the game to decide if they want to buy it, they can play the free version.

And it's not like the game needs more publicity at the moment, it's getting plenty.

5. Jordanrracer

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    I'd think some of us would also enjoy just playing together, I already gained a couple of viewers.

6. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Sure, but playing together is a lot different from watching someone play.

Also I had a quick peek and saw you're using INVedit. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less boring...

7. Jordanrracer

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    I used INV edit so I could continue building my dock over there, and something else. I didn't want to keep the other viewers bored when i was mining for coal, diamond and chopping down wood.

Other than you, everyone else was satisfied with the video.

8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I only use INVedit to cheat.

9. Jordanrracer

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Update: I got a much better program for best frame rates.

Completely no lag now! :)
    Will continue my stream tomorrow.