Universal Minecraft: Pocket Edition (by Mojang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Penilegland, Nov 16, 2011.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Until Mojang includes survival mode. Also, it is just intellectually unbearable that someone thought "you know what would be super awesome? Placing the jump button square in the middle of the D-pad, making it effectively impossible to move and jump simultaneously. JEENYUS!"

2. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I've played the Android version for awhile. All you need to do to jump is roll your thumb downward.

The controls are poorly designed, but it's not rocket science.

3. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Haha. Well said and very true.

4. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

If anyone is on the fence about this and you have an iPod Touch 4th Gen and worried about battery and performance. The game is 2.8Mb, so battery is not a problem and it performs excellent, unless you build blocks to the top of the sky.

5. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    #145 adamphetamine, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    When building and traveling, I find I need the jump button quite a bit to make it alot easier to traverse the world. If it was placed with even a minute amount of thought, I would use the button 9 times out of 10 instead of the auto jump.

6. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Does it? I dunno, we must have very different ideas on what constitutes "amazing". Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like the blandest, most featureless game ever. Is there ANY objective other than to build lego-like structures ? What happens when you're done? Just "voila", there's my structure? I've never played any version of this game, but this one just looks like stacking blocks on a game with horrible graphics. Anyone?

7. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah there really is no point, I think this game is for the people that have played minecraft before and really like it, and want a simple version on the go (hopefully it gets more complex).

8. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Crap, that's what I was afraid of. Man, the devs really are milking that hardcore fanbase by charging a premium price on this one.

9. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    It is if your goal is to blow up your own silo.

Excuse me, the 1980s called. It wants its UI design sense back.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #150 drelbs, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    Not sure if it's been noted, but it does take longer to mine some materials - in particular obsidian...

Want to see lava ASAP? the seed "Android" has lava flowing into water if you turn left and walk forward, waterfalls if you follow the waterline on your right.

[​IMG]

11. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    its the most retarded game i have ever seen on ios

12. xK1NgLy

xK1NgLy New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Chillin
    ChillVille
  13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Slide your finger from the direction onto the jump button and you'll continue moving.

14. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Still the most ill-thought-out spot possible for a jump button. I mean that's just poor planning. You literally could not put it in a less convenient spot.

15. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Just played multiplayer and me and my friend made a massive castle.

16. 3mooonuel

3mooonuel Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    High school student
    Tamaulipas-Mexico
    This game is dumb

Without the CRAFTING and the mobs , where is the fun?

Hmm

I'll play eden..

17. 3mooonuel

3mooonuel Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    High school student
    Tamaulipas-Mexico
    Agree..

LOL that made me giggle

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry, but I don't see it. I have Eden since the very beginning. I deleted it after buying because I felt it was just as you mentioned: put standard blocks over and over, with very small differences between them.

Now, I've just checked and Eden has been updated many times since last year, so I thought I'd give it another try, and I'm happy I did. It has:

- many blocks with different effects: lava, normal blocks, etc.
    - a jump button independent from the d-pad (somebody requested that somewhere).
    - fire: just click the button and burn trees.

So, bearing this is mind, what does the current Minecraft PE offer than Eden doesn't, apart from being the official Minecraft? Plus Eden is much cheaper. I think that as of today, Eden is a better buy than Minecraft. If mobs/enemies are included in Minecraft in the future I would change my mind, but as of today...

The best of all is that this thread and the launch of Minecraft has made me reinstall Eden after a year and see how well it has evolved :)

19. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Yep, I´ve reinstalled Eden too. Never played around too much with it before, but I really got a bit into it now. Eden should provide everything Minecraft does for now, at a cheaper price.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    That's what I've done too. After playing a bit with it, I have to add that it offers the following too:

- Transparent blocks (for windows and such).
    - Water blocks.
    - TNT blocks (great explosions when you burn them, to dig quicker!).
    - Triangular blocks, which allow to make roofs for houses.
    - Ability to colour the blocks any way you want. You have a colour palette, you choose the colour which fits you best, click on the cube and it changes colour, while keeping the same texture design (but according to the new colour, obviously).