Universal Minecraft: Pocket Edition (by Mojang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Penilegland, Nov 16, 2011.

1. sivyan

sivyan Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Germany
    Did you just really say that the official minecraft game app could be 'fake'?

2. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    It was being referenced to the clone apps of this game. Without the survival mode, it is pretty much the same thing as those. Heck even mooncraft had aliens.

If there is a possibility of the creeps being added in, then I would consider this. But without them I just don't see a point. Creative mode has been done in other apps for cheaper.

3. Bhoy

Bhoy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Do blocks break instantly or does it take a few seconds for them to break like on the desktop version?.

4. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    It's creative. Instantly.

Kids these days, I used to play minecraft in alpha. There was no survival mode, everyone played creative multiplayer. Cities were built, wonders too, and games were invented. Lava survival, spleef, etc.

I'd buy this if it's true creative mode - that is, I can connect to multiplayer servers.

5. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Not sure about iOS, but there are numerous, separate updates planned for the android version. I assume they would make it to iOS.

6. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    This is gonna sound really silly, but can someone tell me what the premise/object of this game is? What do you do? Just stack blocks to make structures and landscapes? Surely there has to be more to it than that?? Can someone just give me a very brief overview?

7. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Ever played the original Minecraft? Basically it's like the original Minecraft except no online. (Survival isn't the original mode. The original is the trial version)

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, you have to keep in mind that they had to integrate touch controls. So a single tap would place a block and to remove a block, you have to hold it.

Technically, there is no objective. You just let your mind flow and create whatever you want.

9. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    No, never played the original. (I know, SACRELIGE!!!) This version of the game might as well be the first one ever released to my naive little brain, I have absolutely no knowledge about this game whatsoever. Is there a story? Objectives? Levels? What exactly is it you're doing? Is it just a big game of digital Lego? Any insight would be appreciated.

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    The Pocket Edition is just 'a big game of digital LEGO'.

The computer version of Minecraft has creative mode ('a big game of digital LEGO') and it also has survival mode. Survival mode, I believe has quests, levels, a final boss and all that stuff. I say 'I believe' because I haven't read too much into it and the final game is being released this Friday.

11. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
  12. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Oh my god! Yes! I don't care if it's not survival, bought!

13. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I'm kind of reluctant to spend that much on this without survival.

/will probably end up buying though

14. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I await the two thousand reviews that say, "OMG. tihs game sux cuz ther r no manstrs. y ony bloks? n00b devs r fak (fake). *spam emoticons*"

15. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Lol I can just see that happening anytime soon.

16. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Dang would buy it if it had redstone, maybe in an update.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Funny how that link fails to work on any currently available portable platform :rolleyes:.

18. PhysicalEd

PhysicalEd Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Funny, doesn't seem to play on my iPhone. It says I need Java. How did you get it to work?

/sarcasm

19. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Haha, but this game actually sucks. Why not play it on the computer? All you do in Minecraft Pocket Edition is run around, explore, place blocks, build stuff. Thats it.

20. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    I can see this turning into a war of loyalists/detractors very quickly. I can also see this game getting lukewarm reviews due to it's apparent lack of features/functionality compared to other versions, according to these posts. And before you ask, yes, I am a psychic. I want this game to be awesome since it seems to be one of those games that either you've played or have been living under a rock for the best years of your life, but I'm just not convinced. I'm also super-impatient, but looks like I'll have to wait for the concensus of the reviews to see what this things really made of..