Universal Minecraft: Pocket Edition (by Mojang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Penilegland, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Organic materials, such as trees, grass and plants, regenerate or can be replanted.

Metals, dirt, sand and stone do not, but since the size of the procedurally generated Minecraft world is IMMENSE (think Elite II: Frontier- and Daggerfall-like immense, theoretically unlimited, but eventually the world file will grow to massive for your storage or hardware), there will always be more material, provided you are ready for a hike.

(And hiking might be an overstatement. Since you can always dig downwards and outwards, the material available in the first few hundreds square meters of your starting area alone can last for weeks.)

That said, I will wait for survival mode (enemies and animals), and the refinements of the Adventure updates for Minecraft for Mac/PC, though with Notch's stated intention of creating a light portable version (a, to me, completely mystifying sentiment), I' not sure we will ever see this.

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I believe that to be correct.

In my opinion, no since it's just creative mode which is basically just like Eden. If I were you, I'd wait for a price drop and see how the future updates roll along.

3. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    No, I haven't, since I learned of Minecraft's existence a few months after I sold the one device I owned capable of running it.
    And OH. I think that just that just blew through my conception of scale. Thanks, I think.

I'm somewhat partial to Ayjona's line of thinking, however. Trees and flowers can tide me over for a brief while, but I'd like to be assured of the inclusion of animals and enemies before making a purchase. The world doesn't seem truly alive to me otherwise.

4. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    9.99 with no survival mode? Ha, what a joke. Will wait for update for survival mode or price drop.

Until then, Junk Jack <3

5. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    #25 Robotwars, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    Yeah, exactly. That's a steep price for no survival mode. You can basically play this version for free on their website.

Back to Junk Jack. Cheaper and Animals/Mobs.

6. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Is there stuff like redstone, pistons, and stuff? I'd love to be able to test ideas on the fly, for like new tnt cannons or traps or stuff. Oh and can you grow plants and trees and stuff?

7. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    How overpriced for what it is.

No crafting, no collecting and no mobs.

Pass, next please.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thanks I'll pass until a price drop, it's a bit expensive for another Eden (which I hardly played) for me junk jack is king 2D just seems to work so well for a portable game.

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    The price is quite peculiar - usually in NZ it ends in .69 and US will end in .99. I am not quite sure what the conversion will be. Perhaps it will be 9.99 across the board no matter the different rates? Just odd looking.

10. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    NZ decided that prices ending in .69 was too provocative and decided to change all their prices to .99.

I'm just kidding. I noticed that too, but the changed price can't be too far different from NZ's price.

11. Penilegland

Penilegland Member

Nov 10, 2011
    #31 Penilegland, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    You seem to get unlimited blocks to just build with..

No hunting for blocks is really necessary.

I haven't taken an extensive look at it yet, there may be other modes I'm missing but I don't think so,it just seems to be unlimited creation mode,No redstone
    So if anyone is a big fan of creepers and redstone and hates the original version..then this game may not be a good choice just yet, at least wait until updates or price drop.

I am happy to pay $10 to just mess around with it because I have iTunes credit and no games to really spend it on so I don't personally mind spending that much, but others who have a huge wish list of games they want to buy badly...and they don't like original/free minecraft ....i probably wouldn't reccomend this.

I personally love it though, but I ONLY like the creation mode in minecraft, I hate killing things so..I really love it!
    But for people who just want to shoot something..this game clearly won't satisfy that need.

There's quite a few videos showing the gameplay on YouTube for the android version, it looks basiclly exactly the same so maybe check them out before making the purchase so you can see exactly what your getting..the only difference is I'm not sure if they get multiplayer wifi...

I also bought it straight away because I don't want to wait like 6 months for a sale, or maybe there will never be a sale..if a game doesn't go on sale within the first month I will usually pick it up..I hate even waiting a month. If I want something I want it NOW not 3 months later, the android app has been out for over a month and still hasn't had a sale..and android is usually more likely to get a sale then ios...so that also encouraged me to just get it now instead of waiting.

Bottom line is- if you really love minecraft and enjoy the creation side of things GET IT
    if you enjoy the other aspects and have an iTunes credit budget/wish list WAIT

12. sivyan

sivyan Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Germany
    I want it now, I hate you NZ

13. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I could just about live without mobs; that terrified spin, jump, swipe when you hear "ssssssssss"..... on a touch screen? Hmmm.

However; no redstone? That's a shame. As someone said previously, it could have been ideal for prototyping those flashes of genius (I wish) whilst out and about.

I'll stick to my pc for now, whilst keeping an eye on this.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thrilled to see this so early, can't wait to see how the multiplayer fares (only clone that does multiplayer is SteinKraft, and it's major laggy. I'm surprised Mojang hasn't dropped a "Minecraft Pocket Server" which would just be classic with all the stuff removed. Seems the pocket client could handle that fine (since it only needs to keep a small number of chunks loaded at a time.)

For those of you that gave up on Eden a long time ago, you should try it again, there have been a number of improvements.

I really hope they manage to sneak some survival elements in there, Mooncraft managed that fairly well.

9PM can't come fast enough. I can't believe how expensive this week has been. My wife is going to kill me. (Especially since now I'll be nagging her to play Minecraft more often since it'll be on our iPhones!)

15. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    I don't mind how it is releasing, for now. And will gladly pay asking price as it will be extremely popular and I'm sure it will have many updates with more features, mobs etc. A little disappointed but alot excited still.

16. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Is this 4S/ipad 2 only? or is iphone 4 enough to run it? Also how's the world generation, the worlds in eden loomed and felt so bland to me, nothing exciting. Is the world generation here the same as the PC version, with huge mountains, crazy caves, and such? Thats what i like about minecraft, mobs i dont need right away.

17. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #37 tblrsa, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Never played the original Minecraft, but messed around with Eden a bit. Quite a fun experience if you do love sandbox games. No impulse buy on this price point though, I will wait for more impressions and how updates are getting along. How does this match up against Eden? Are there more objects or anything?

They should start selling the official Minecraft Game on the Mac App Store too in my opinion. Would make it easier to purchase for a lot of people.

18. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Very excited to see this out earlier than expected. Price, I don't really mind being this is the official version of Minecraft, so I feel safe that it could only get better from here on out with updates, and by then...I'll have a nice step ahead as far as world built. Eden was good while it lasted, but come 8pm, it will be deleted for good. :)

19. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, the game technically isn't fully released yet (still in Beta), so it's still possible :p I'd prefer it on Steam though.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Creation mode sounds good to me. I like Survival too but for a pocket version I'm happy just to get creative with construction.