Universal Minecraft: Pocket Edition (by Mojang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Penilegland, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Can't play MineCraft without your hoes.

2. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Not aware of iCloud saving, but... I was playing this with my girlfriend over wifi (you have to be connected to the same router) and once I'd joined her on her map I was able to quit and save a copy of the map on my iPad. So you can share between devices at least...

Having never played minecraft, I can't say I'm dissapointed about all the trimmed version we have here, it's a great app, good fun... Ofc I can only imagine how awesome the missing features are. I guess I'm trying to say, this gets a thumbs up from me, even though I'm thoroughly minecraft uneducated :p

Does it seem likely the app will get more blocks in the future?

3. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #203 MystikSun, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    It's a bit unclear what they're going to add, but all we know is that there's 100% a survival mode in the works. Who knows? It might take as long as Minecraft for the PC did.

Also, considering that it was the work of two people (and one of them only organized the project), and neither of them were Notch, they did a pretty good job of getting the first build of the game out in half a year.

4. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    This could make for a really comedic update.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Mine Craft Auto.

Too vague?

6. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Grand Craft Auto :D

7. scorpionxd

scorpionxd Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2011
  8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    So far I'm enjoying it, the multiplayer is fun and it runs really smooth on my first gen iPad. My only complaint so far is aside from the third person view you can't zoom out any farther, unless there's something I'm missing it's a pain when you start getting into bigger structures.

Also anyone know if the seeds for the desktop version work for this? I haven't tried yet but I'm looking for a good flat land seed.

9. WIZARDLY_LIZARD

WIZARDLY_LIZARD Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I think the absolutely most important things minecraft PE needs is

:more blocks - that should be very simple to do, not moving blocks just simple plain still blocks, especially half blocks.
    Right now it's only in creation mode, so at least give us creationists something to work with! There's only one half block. It's driving me mad!

: crafting

That would be mega sick BUT it probably will take forever to go through and programme every single item to combine with other items to make another item.. So I'm realistic about the time frame in which that will be implemented.

:character customization

Again this shouldn't be too hard to do..
    Though it's more of a novelty then a necessity. I'm not too keen on this one, but it would be cool.

:zoom out/ be able to fly around invisably in the sky to take screenshots of your creations and also to freely build.

When your busy building a huge masterpiece it drives me nuts having to climb up crazy heights, build giant sets of stairs to reach the top to build..it's seriously unnessisary..blocks should be able to be placed from any distance, and you should be able to turn off that setting in options, like turn on invincible mode- which allows you to float around and place blocks anywhere you please with no distance requirements.then you can turn off invincible mode for just normal playing.

:multiplayer worlds
    I'm devestated that you can only join worlds that are made from your wifi router that sucks azz..why the hell would they restrict it to only your own wifi!! That's crazy man..I want to join in with my town and make a huge azz town together..what's the point of building extravagant towns if no one can see them? Unless you purposely show them from your own iPad but that is a little narcissistic!

:redstone
    This would be a nice extra but again, it would take quite a while to get running probably, and it isn't really a necessity but it'd be a nice extra

:creepers
    Creepers should be at the bottom of the list, it's really not that important,
    If you want to shoot something why not go play COD? Your playing a game about creation not killing.
    Some people just can't have fun until they have to virtually kill someone or something..don't they ever get bored repeatably tapping a button to kill something? Come on it MUST get old at some point.I seriously dont understand people's fascination with that ..unless your a future serial killer, why wouod you want to fantasize about killing something. Weird
    Maybe they want to feel empowerment and strong, even though it merely requires the tap of a button that a 5 year old could accomplish.

10. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
    I think it's at least partly because you can't have mods on this pocket version, so grief protection and whitelists and such aren't possible right now, which would make multiplayer a mess, maybe they could do a sort of system where you trade codes or something though in the future

11. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    I am a Minecraft virgin. So please tell me what redstone is. TIA.

12. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Here you go :)

http://bit.ly/vfkJsJ

13. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    I strongly disagree, creepers and wildlife are a number one addition required. For me the lack of creepers is a big deal, and it isn't because I 'love to kill things' it's a question of feeling safe. Building up a big impressive city in Minecraft PE just seems like it would be a little stale, because there is no danger. My house is built... Now what. I build another another house, and another and another, and it remains the same for time and memorial. Like a model village. The creepers add danger, in much the same way the disasters added to Sim City. Reacting to the threat of fires, or earthquakes, or big ole aliens, was a huge part of making the city feel alive. It was sad when huge parts of my lovingly crafted city fell to ruin as i couldnt cope with the disaster. Without creepers, I may as well play with Lego.

@Smartbomb, thanks for the info. Still tempted to grab this, as if I'm going to muck about in a stale world, may as well do it in minecraft not Eden, for eventual MC updates, and cross device is a definite plus.

Thing is, this is £5. A full copy of minecraft for the mac is £16. And Minecraft Classic just doesn't seem worth a third of the price of everything Minecraft has to offer.

14. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Ah, more than I ever wanted to know.;)

I'm sure all these sandbox games are glorious for experienced players, but, personally, a bit of tutorial would go down real sweet for me. Or, perhaps one of you master builders would come over for a beer and help me get started.

15. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Agree 100%

16. Invadorgrey

Invadorgrey Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    student
    Chicago
    exactly, creepers make the game better. without creepers who else is there to take the poistion as the dick looking monster?

17. Saqerbeast

Saqerbeast Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    your not paying just for the creative mode... your paying for survival, they announced it on minecon, thier going to update this game like crazy!. i havnt bought, but alot of people are hoping that mohang will update it.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    If they update it with all the features they say, I'll end up buying it. For the time being, I'll stick to Eden...

19. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

MINECRAFT POCKET EDITION is one of the nominees for Touch Arcade Game of the Week.

Do you like this pocket edition of highly popular building game?
    If you think MINECRAFT POCKET EDITION deserves to be the winner of TAGOTW, give it your vote now!

[thread=113583]VOTE HERE[/thread]

20. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Is the world available quite small?

I was digging a tunnel underground from where I started and dug horizontally for a while and came to a nice blue. I thought I'd just found a valley or opening to the surface but it seemed to be an invisible barrier. I really hadn't gone that far so I wondered, have I reached the end of the world or did I find a bug?