Apple TV Mimpi Dreams

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Spindler, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
  2. JaroslavStehlik

JaroslavStehlik Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Team Leader at Silicon Jelly
    Prague / Czech Republic
    Please write us there some feedback. I would love to hear what do you think about the controls ?

3. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Can you confirm if MFi game controller is supported?

4. JaroslavStehlik

Nov 5, 2013
    Prague / Czech Republic
    Yes we can confirm that!

5. Martusak

Martusak Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Prague
    How the controls work

Here, at Silicon Jelly, we finished the game several times using the Apple Tv controller. You can see how it works.

6. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Let me first say, this game is really great. Nice variety of puzzles, great art, really cute.

Having said that, this is a weird case of a game that is probably phenomenal on an iPad (I haven't had a chance to try on iPad yet, but will soon), but not so great on Apple TV. I tried with both the remote, and a controller. It works, you can get through the puzzles, and I think you did as good a job as you could with the implementation. Really, for what it is, you figured out probably the best way to handle remote support with the snapping. But I found it a bit annoying - particularly always snapping to the balloons, which I wish I could turn off altogether. I also found myself really wanting to touch the switches, rather than try to wiggle them around with the remote - it's very clunky, and the puzzles were obviously designed for touch input. The walking and jumping, however, of course work perfectly - I find that much easier on a controller than the remote.

In the best of all worlds ...and I know how long development takes, and how hard it is, so I'm not suggesting you do this... but... a TV version that had remote or controller control as a core element, rather than an afterthought would be the best for this game. It would involve a lot of rethinking the puzzles, and I'm not sure you want to go there... unless of course you were also considering Steam or xbox etc... I'm not sure the Apple TV market is big enough to warrant that much extra work by itself...

Anyway, just my opinion - I'd love to hear what other folks think. This is definitely doable on TV, but I don't believe it's the best place for it.

7. babaroga73

babaroga73 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I think the trackpad-like solution for interface is pretty good. I've been playing Dragon Mania Legends on Apple TV, it mostly uses touch area on Siri Remote as a trackpad and an on-screen cursor, and I've had zero problems with it. I guess it's also not that hard to implement , compared to snapping to objects.

8. JaroslavStehlik

Nov 5, 2013
    Prague / Czech Republic
    Thank you! That was actually pretty good review and I fully agree with you.
    I designed snapping controls and upgraded a lot of code to make this work, but as you said
    the whole puzzles would have to be redesigned for this controller.
    Thank you for your honest opinion :)

9. JaroslavStehlik

Nov 5, 2013
    Prague / Czech Republic
    We had trackpad solution in the first place and believe me
    it was slow and clunky much more than this snapping solution :-/

10. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Sure! Great job programming those controls - like I said, it's probably the best solution under the circumstances. If there's one thing I'd like to request, it's a way to turn off the hint balloons. Maybe under options? Only if it's an easy thing, because I'm sure not too many people would use that option even if it were available.

Anyway - love the art, animation, story... you all made a really sweet game, I hope you're doing well with it.

11. JaroslavStehlik

Nov 5, 2013
    Prague / Czech Republic
    Thank you!