Universal Miles & Kilo (by Michael Burns)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 10, 2017.

1. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    You're meeting all the criteria, but are you playing in Practice mode? Currently I have it setup so you can't earn an S in Practice mode, since getting 0 deaths in practice mode doesn't really mean anything. (For example, players could just back out to the world map and re-enter the level each time they die to reset the death counter.)

The original intention behind this design was for S-Ranks to be super tough to earn and serve as a longer-term, post-completion goal; unfortunately I didn't realize a lot of gamers like to perfect levels as they play them. My bad! :eek:

For now, my advice is to not worry too much about the grades you earn. The system I designed needs some reworking, and I'm still figuring out the best way to tackle it. It will definitely be changed in a future update.

And again, sorry about the difficulty of the mummy boss. It'll be toned down a bit in the first update. :)

BTW, after yanking the mummy's chain, you can also jump on his head instead of punching him. That may feel easier to pull off.

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #42 Gwarmaxx, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017

imo the overall difficulty, and in particular the mummy boss one, are perfect in this game, usually i don't like easy games that stand on my device only a couple of days... a game is really good when it's really tough and challenging, this is the first and only rule in videogames universe.

3. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    I agree, I'm all about the challenge! That said, I think the mummy boss is a bit too sharp of a spike in difficulty. Letting players deflect the boomerangs with fruit (which will take a bit of skill and figuring out to begin with) at the cost of a lower score is an acceptable compromise IMO. You'll still need to time the jumps correctly to maximize your score. :)

4. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Is this game 5 stars? 42 replies gives the impression of a luke warm reception of the game.

5. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Maybe read the TA review...? Not sure what you're looking for.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This may shock you, thumbs, but I don't award stars based on how many replies a game has in the forums.

7. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yeah but we've now added 3... wait, 4, more comments, so the game is getting better as we speak!!

8. Draven2222

Draven2222 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    6 Stars!

That makes it almost 6 stars !

9. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #49 thumbs07, May 13, 2017
    I didn't say that you did. But generally the reception to a game can back up a strong review.

You got to remember us Toucharcade viewers are zany buggers and have to collect every one of the set of 5 star reviews. It's to no detriment to query before buying. But this is my error, I am not looking enough at reviews from other places I think. On this game I have found another review online agreeing with this as game of the week, and given it 4 out of 5.

10. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    #50 thatpixelguy, May 13, 2017
    FWIW, the game's sales are still in the triple digits which is at least partly why not a whole lot of people are talking about it. Missed out on the U.S. App Store feature on Thursday and Friday so it's not getting a huge number of hits. Shoot, I shoulda made it free with a bunch of ads and IAP. ;P

Joking aside, if anyone's got time to drop a review on the App Store page, that would be super helpful! I purposefully left out those annoying "Please review this app!" prompts, but it looks like I may need to add them in in the future. This market definitely feels tougher than it was three years ago.

11. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    great game pal, review on app store sent!

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Sucks to hear that. I can't believe this didn't get a feature.

I'm onto my second playthrough now going for those 'S' ranks!

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It got featured in Lebanon. I guess that's something!

14. polygonplay

polygonplay Well-Known Member

As a developer I wholeheartedly agree it is a much tougher market today than 3 years ago.

And what comes to the MFi controller support. I understand your reasoning for button bindings. If you do decide to tweak them, it wouldn't hurt to add punch also to index finger buttons R1 and R2.

Congrats on the 5 star TA review!

15. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece.

16. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    Thanks everyone. :)

Haha yeah! It got featured in the U.K. and a bunch of other countries too which I'm super thankful for. Who knows, Apple could always feature it on the U.S. store later. I remember they re-featured Kid Tripp a few months after it released and it got a really nice boost from that. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, I'm making good progress on the story mode update. Here's a preview of how the new system will behave:

On the title screen, the "NEW GAME" and "CONTINUE" options will be replaced with "PLAY". Tapping "PLAY" will take you to a more traditional world map where you can both replay levels and continue progressing the story. Once you beat the game, all the levels will remain unlocked and you can continue trying to perfect each level to your heart's content.

The "PRACTICE" menu option will be replaced with "TIME ATTACK". After tapping "TIME ATTACK", you'll be able to choose whether to start a new time attack or continue an existing one. The rules in Time Attack are more rigid and arcade-y -- for instance, you won't be able to replay levels.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the leaderboards exclusive to the new Time Attack mode. Enabling them for the main story mode (where you can replay levels) would present a ton of problems that would unfortunately have clunky, messy solutions.

When the update eventually goes live, if you've already beat the game and you're in the middle of a new playthrough, then that new playthrough's progress will be sent over to the new Time Attack mode and you'll be able to continue it from there.

As for S-Ranks: I'm either going to remove the 0 deaths requirement or replace it with something else. I think the criteria is a little too far on the side of unreasonable as-is.

Anyway, those are the big changes I'm working on. Hoping to get those two things finished this week, but no promises -- I need to test it extensively to make sure my spaghetti code works properly. ;)

If you guys have any other requests, let me know.

17. gvegas66

gvegas66 Active Member

Jan 11, 2017
    So "TIME ATTACK" will be a cumulative time score of all levels, like a speed run?

18. thatpixelguy

thatpixelguy Member

Mar 20, 2017
    U.S.
    Yup! The current story mode already does this, but I'm basically moving all the leaderboard stuff into its own mode. Should feel more intuitive/standard when you guys get your hands on it.

19. gvegas66

gvegas66 Active Member

Jan 11, 2017
    :cool:

20. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    For anyone interested, I just now bought Kid Trip for the first time. It looks and plays wonderfully on the 7+ ..It may as well have been released yesterday. Looking forward to getting this game soon.