GameClub Mikey Shorts (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Ahh, even developers don't know everything! :p

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Wow, I feel so stupid! That helps a lot, thanks!

3. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    If I recall correctly, the Joypad App does allow for custom controls set by the devs. See: Stardash

Also, iCloud support would be great for this wonderful game. But anyways, thanks for taking the time to participate in the thread!

4. Yeah, if is an easy fix on the joypad it would be nice. I kind of found the A and B buttons too close, and if there is anyway to make buttons not strip regions, it would be nice. But I don't know if it would be possible or easy.

5. Today I was out and about without my ipad, so for the first time in a while, actually played some games on my iphone and MS was one of them. Boy, I kind of like it a lot better on the ipad, the field seems so much bigger on it. The button placement is totally different too, spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how I liked it since the ipad placement was totally different.

Played well on my iphone, not nearly as fun as my new ipad, but it was ok and fun.

Was curious to see some screenshots from any of you that play to see where you put your controls for the iphone and ipad. i will post my 2 screenshots soon of how I like the positioning on my iphone and ipad.

If any of you others want to it would be cool so we can compare.

6. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    The Edit Controls option definitely helps on the iPad since there are several ways to hold the device comfortably. We went with a default that seemed to be fairly balanced. Plus, the hit windows on the buttons extend high and low. :)

Compared to the regular iPhone, the iPad can see more on the bottom of the screen and a little bit more on the sides. The iPhone 5 can see the most on the sides. :D

7. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Hi mikes, is there new challenge levels out ? Or has the guy who just appeared 6000+ points ahead in challenged mode hacked the leaderboards ?

8. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Think we have a hacker just checked story mode too mr final lark has every single high score !! :(

9. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, looks like he hacked is scores, what a loser. Pretty pathetic when someone has nothing better to do with their life than cheat at games like Mikey Shorts.

We'll see what we can do about it. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't give us the necessary tools to just zap hacked scores manually.

10. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Well when and if you get him zapped can you knock a few extra off so I can get higher on the boards lol ;)

11. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That's funny because you aren't the first to say that they preferred playing MS on an iPad. I never would have guessed the iPad version would have been so much more popular. :) We kept debating whether to add Universal support to the initial release, and then decided it was necessary so we kind of added it last minute. Apple never featured us on the iPhone side in the US App Store, but we did get an iPad feature. I believe a majority of our sales were for the iPad.

So good thing we added Universal support. :)

12. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Here is my button set up on iPhone 4 :)

http://i.imgur.com/h2dhN.png

13. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Yay hacker is disappearing that was quick cheers mike and apple :)

14. Yeah, I'm sure you have seen my posts in the developers forums about the subject, but small indies are just shooting themselves in the back if they don't make their games universal or with a dedicated hd version.

Big name companies like capcom can get away with it but a lot of the serious ios gamers have both an ipad and iphone, and won't even. Other buying an iphone only game.

I know I will probably NEVER again buy an iphone only version. An indie needs all of the publicity and sales as they can get so making a non universal indie game is really tough nowadays.

So I am happy you added it in last moment, cause I would have never gotten to have played this otherwise.

15. Hey, my Mikey shorts is always crashing now on my new ipad ios6.0. Started doing it today. Everything else on mu ipad is running ok. Tried multitask bar delete of app, power off, even hard boot, still crashes everytime on launch.

Anyway to fix this or do i need to delete and reinstall?

Also is there icloud support will it save my progress if I delete the app? Thanks

16. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    It could be the iOS 6 Game Center issue mikeg123 mentioned over a week ago: [post=2462393]LINK TO POST[/post]

Our update for the fix was submitted around 10 days ago. We're hoping it gets approved as soon as possible! Cross your fingers for later today. :eek:

We don't have iCloud in Mikey Shorts at this point, so I'd just wait until the update hits. We'll post here when we have more information! Sorry for the inconvenience! :(

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Looks like the MS update just went into review. So the bug fix should hopefully be out today.

@Connector: when you get the update could you let us know if that fixes your crashing problem?

18. #718 Connector, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    Can confirm the issue is gamecenter on ios6. Logged out, game works fine, logged back in, game doesn't open, no matter what I do even with a hard boot.

New ipad, ios 6.0, would check it on my iphone 4 for you, but I still got ios5 on it until 6.1 comes out.

Well, at least I know I don't have to delete and reinstall and lose my progress so that is cool.

And I can just turn off gamecenter if I want to play the game until the update comes, thanks. Good that you guys are here for questions, but for others I could see them getting mad and blaming you when it might be Apple's fault or just bad luck with ios compatibility.

Hey next time you make a game, sign me up as a beta tester! After all, I was the first to post about things like more transparent controls, an icon for the transparency bar, and now this! But look forward to your next game whatever it is. Let me know if you ever need any help, see ya.

Edit: for what it is worth, logged in out on my iphone 4 os 5.1.1 with gamecenter, works fine either way.

19. BeaverTap Games

BeaverTap Games Developer

Apr 5, 2012
    iOS Game Developer
    United States
    Mikey Shorts UPDATED - Fixes

Mikey Shorts (1.2.1)

• Fixed Random button in Shop for widescreen
    • Fixed Game Center related bug for iOS 6
    • Fixed control button visibility setting in Edit Controls when updating from an earlier version

Thank you for your patience. Hopefully this fixes any issues people are having. We try our best to make sure everybody has an enjoyable experience when playing Mikey Shorts! :)

20. Well, that was quick, don't see the update yet on the US store, but I will let you know how my crashing version updates asap to make sure the problem is resolved. So thanks for fixing 2 of the issues I raised earlier. Good thing you guys got it fixed, could see a lot of negative reviews popping up if it wasn't addressed quickly.