GameClub Mikey Hooks (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    And thank you for the support!

Glad you are digging the game, and thank you!

2. klb.

klb. Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    #62 klb., Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    I 3-stared everything in one session, 52 min 24 seconds. The golden shorts and collect all coins thing doesn't interest me so I wont bother. I'll probably come back for atleast one more session to see if i can get some good placements on the leaderboards though.

I don't understand how the scores in race correlates with your time? That should probably be explained in-game somehow.

The IAP is, as somebody already said, more of a support the dev / show appriciation kind of thing wich is cool with me. I don't really care for the outfits in this game but I used the retro mode, it's nice.

The game improves and does everything better then the first.

4/5

3. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    You get 100 points for every second you finish under 2:30. Basically, the faster your time, the more points you get. :cool:

We use points because of the 25 leaderboard limit in Game Center. With 24 Story leaderboards, we only had room for a Race Total. We couldn't use time because we plan on adding more levels and we want to be able to add to the Total score.

Glad you enjoy the Retro Graphics! We're happy with how they turned out! :D

Thanks for the support, dude! :)

4. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Hooks has hooked up with UK very good start :D

5. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Well done devs! Im more addicted then the first one, didnt think that was possible. Finished story mode but will continue to play and beat my times! Did think it was a little easier then Mikey Shorts but still very fun!

6. klb.

klb. Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I went ahead and played through all the race levels again. And yeah, as expected the game really shines when you race against your ghost trying to get better and better times. Right now I'm #1,, what! Don't expect to stay there for to long though, there was plenty of room for improvement on all levels.

7. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    No.1 on 1-1 :D

def more in it ! im off to bed now I expect to be beaten by time I wake

GAME ON PEOPLE :cool:

8. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    Absolutely excellent game. The hooking is fantastic. I have only played the first 8 levels, but I hope the hooking is explored more. If not, there's always Mikey 3! I like that I have directional input even while hooking and that I can let go of a hook and reconnect it over and over again. These hooking controls are just so excellently fluid and responsive, they're a joy to use. I'd also love to see this hooking mechanic in a slower-paced platformer where the were puzzles and tons of enemies instead of the racing element (don't get me wrong — I love the racing element, I just think the hooking could have some other excellent implementations).

The IAP system is excellent. One purchase, one menu full of cheats. The cheats make the game easier, but they are fun and have no effect on your speed — so it avoids pay-to-win entirely. The even more retro graphics are positively darling. I would love to see more games implement IAP like this. It is a great model of unnecessary but cool IAP that gives you something permanently and makes you happy to support an awesome dev.

9. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Wow. I was skeptical about the hooking mechanic, but this is more fun than Mikey Shorts!

10. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    'What's this, hearts? Please, I'm not ever gonna die. Played the first one too much.'

Stupid reddies.

11. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    36,30 without iCade ;)

but Shaun made a nice time anyways

12. dwerny

dwerny Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Absolutely loving this sequel. Somehow I think they managed to improve the controls even over the first game.

I haven't played ridiculous fishing yet, but right now I would say this and Block Fortress are my game of the year nominees.

13. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Loving this game so far. Can we get an option to resize the directional arrows? My thumbs keep slipping off in the middle of levels

14. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    This game is outstanding, it's even better then the first one which was already fantastic.

15. Alright! Yeah icade is never good for high scores cause it is a bluetooth hack. Hopefully the future apple wireless joystick will make people more competitive.

16. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Still no.1 come on where's the big guns ?? :)
    Oh wait I see a few coming :D

17. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Have fun without me. I'm too busy to join the competition!

18. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Usually I don't buy that many 1.99 games, but this?

I need this.

19. pixelpowa

pixelpowa Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Indie Game Dev
    U.S.
    #79 pixelpowa, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    This game is crazy awesome. I think I'm...

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

...hooked.

*runs away*

20. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    Great to see this on New and Noteworthy on the UK App Store.