GameClub Mikey Hooks (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 7, 2013.

1. j4mbo

j4mbo New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Speedrunner hit my limit

I'm absolutely obsessed with Mikey Hooks. HELP ME!!!

I'm up to #13 in gamecentre on the race speed over 12 races, but I just CAN'T seem to shave any more time off in ANY race, and i'm still over 100 behind number 1. Any advice would be massively appreciated!

2. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    iOS 7 support

We updated the Mikey apps for iOS 7 support.

We also made the original Mikey Shorts count coins towards the Shop on a retry like in Mikey Hooks. :)

3. BeaverTap Games

BeaverTap Games Developer

Apr 5, 2012
    iOS Game Developer
    United States
    Mikey SALE!

Thanks for supporting BeaverTap Games! We're happy to announce our very first sale! Help us spread the word! :)

Some really nice things are being said in these threads:
    [thread=211237]Mikey Shorts Price Drop Thread[/thread]
    [thread=211256]Mikey Hooks Price Drop Thread[/thread]

[​IMG]

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Late to reply but I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the coin count mod.

As for the sales... like most folks here (probably) I already own both games :) . Hopefully the sale though expands the fanbase.

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, we figured most TA regulars already know about the game (and hopefully have it!). But we are definitely hoping our fanbase grows. So far we've gotten some really good responses from folks that hadn't heard about the games and love them now. Hopefully everyone will spread the word. :)

6. Cyrue

Cyrue Member

Dec 19, 2013
    #426 Cyrue, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Just got this great game this week, and as an achievement hunter I'm embarrassed to say it took me the better part of 2 days just to break into the top 50 for race mode. I can tell this game already has a small hardcore following which is awesome to see. I'm sure as a developer it must be satisfying to see people pushing out those top times.

Anyway, gonna go see if I can weasel my way into the top 10 over Christmas break.
    Cheers

7. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Welcome to TA! And I'm glad you are enjoying Mikey Hooks. :) Don't be embarrassed about taking 2 days to break into the top 50, there are definitely some hardcore folks around here that have spent a lot of time playing race mode. May even be a race mode score sheet somewhere if you want to see individual race scores. Good luck on cracking the top 10, and have fun!

8. Cyrue

Cyrue Member

Dec 19, 2013
    #428 Cyrue, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Thanks for the score sheet advice, it helped.

9. Andonisus

Andonisus Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Time sheet?

I haven't played in ages, but I'm shocked (and happy!) to see my race rank only dropped one place. I don't suppose that spreadsheet that was floating around awhile back with top times is still being updated? I'd love to see where people are now and where I could shave off some milliseconds!

Great game, still tons of fun :)

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
  11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#431 Bronxsta, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Really wish there were replays, because I need to see how someone somehow got 36 seconds on 1-1 and 39 second on 1-2...

Now some of you know, I love my hardcore, ass-kicking difficult games and precision platformers. After trying Mikey Halloween and now Hooks today, I can say that the touch controls of these games are finely tuned to perfection, and I've played some platformers with great touch controls.

While Mike Hooks may not be as brutal as 14px or Commander Pixman or Mini Dash, it offers a sense of flow and mastery that those games don't. Like the best in the genre, perfecting a level is a tough affair, requiring practice and timing. Seeing those seconds and fractions of a seconds get steadily shaved off, and leaving your ghost behind thanks to expertly timed slides and jumps, is extremely satisfying.

Going from Halloween to Hooks, the improvements are evident. The hook mechanic is wonderfully integrated into the gameplay, without feeling extraneous. And removing the statues makes the levels seem less linear in a way. Really enjoying Hooks and definitely looking forward to more games in the Mikey series

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm about to give the Halloween a shot

13. Bronxsta

Just know that, as some reviews have said, the Mikey games aren't incredibly hard, compared to other IOS platformers. The fun and challenge comes from mastering a level and speeding through it as fast and fluidly as possible.
    I'm not restarting levels because I'm dying (like I would in League of Evil or 14px); I'm restarting because a missed jump slows me down

14. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    #434 mikeg123, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    I'm glad you decided to take the plunge and get Mikey Hooks! Thanks for the support and the great impressions! You definitely hit the nail on the head as to what we were going for in our Mikey Games -- pure speedrunning. :) We were really trying to re-create that feeling we had competing against each other in Hook Champ.

You should definitely check out the Challenge levels in Mikey Shorts, and see what you think. You are racing against a limited amount of time, so there is definitely more of a "challenge" there.

No kidding about the top scores! I have no idea how those people are getting the scores they do, as I can't even come close. :)

15. Bronxsta

Shaved my 1-1 time to 37.07, 1-2 from 44.5 to 41.5, and 1-4 from 52 to 48.8

Yeah I'm....hooked

16. josh_ando

josh_ando Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Does this include iOS 7 controller support???

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    No iOS 7 game controller support yet. Once we get our hands on an actual controller, then we plan to add support. And since we already support iCade and Joypad, I don't expect it to be too hard to map the buttons to the new controller layout.

18. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
  19. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I'm back! Lost my iPod 3G during Mikey Shorts. I don't know if I'll be a top contender, but I'll try my best. Only speed ran 2 levels, and my best is 29th atm.

Looking around the App Store, it looks like it's being dominated by garbage F2P games. As soon as I saw that qbot and mike released another game, no hesitation went into purchasing it. Thank you guys for sticking to the core principles that make platformers great, and not stooping to the dispicable levels that so many developers have.

20. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Glad you're back and found out about Mikey Hooks! Good luck competing for any top spots. And thanks for the support! :)