GameClub Mikey Hooks (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 7, 2013.

1. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Summary :
    Great pick and play gameplay, game mechanics are spot on with the difficulty ramping up. Optional IAP which is in no way needed. Great GC integration. Spot on controls, iCloud support - story / race mode with different way to play, collect all coins, three star level and high scores against GC or in game point system. 12 Race levels requiring high scores to advance, 6 sets of 4 story levels requiring one star to advance with optional three star and high scores. It all works well, downside is for me that without GC leader boards this could be a little short (No pun intended) Money well spent!
    4/5*

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    What is the IAP for? Does this have the potential to be pay to win? Are there collectables that you only can get through IAP or only with IAP currency if there isn't enough in the game? The past games didn't have any IAP so I'm more than a little curious what it's for and how that will impact the game experience for me.

I hope this doesn't end up like Super Stickman Golf 2 (not the same dev, I know, just an example) where it became impossible to collect all of the hats in the game without buying consumable IAP currency. SSG2 just really disappointed me, I don't want to soil the great memories with Mikey Shorts if the IAP is an issue later on.

For anyone curious about Mikey Shorts, there's both a free Lite version of the original game as well as a free Halloween version.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There is nothing consumable in Mikey Hooks. The IAP is one buck and gives you exactly what twistedmind described. It's a bonus menu. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    IAP unlocks retro graphics and x2 coins. 99c

5. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Ohhhhhhhhh, it's on.

The game is incredible. Bigger and badder.

My favorite part so far is the music in level 2-1. Instant classic video game music.

6. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, thanks, you beat me to it. The IAP is intended to be completely optional, thus the naming of the Bonus Menu.

And I'm really happy to see the positive impressions for Mikey Hooks! I'm glad you are all enjoying it so far. :)

7. Flare_TM

Flare_TM Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Is there anywhere on the forum to add GC friends so we can compare/compete for times on this? If not, mine is: Flare TM
    Feel free to add me and lets get some friendly speedrun competition going!

8. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Thanks for the info about the IAP. I read through the thread earlier... maybe the info was edited in and I missed it. Whatever the case thanks.

So there will be plenty of coins in the game to buy everything without the x2 coin IAP?

9. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, there should be plenty! If you are into speedrunning and/or replaying levels, then you should be able to gather a bunch of coins rather quickly. But that is also the reason we decided to start everyone with 5000 coins, so that you could start to build up your disguises right away.

EDIT: we did not tune disguise prices to force people to buy the IAP. :)

10. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Mikey Shorts is awesome and controls great with the Icade mobile. I hope this one is compatible as well!

11. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, Mikey Hooks is compatible with iCade!

12. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Sounds like this is going to be my main purchase of the night.

13. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Expanding on this... we actually lowered the prices for all of the disguises in Mikey Hooks. We wanted it to be easier to get everything. :)

The Bonus Menu is there for folks that want to get coins even faster or could use 3 extra hearts. My personal favorite is to enable the Retro Graphics. :D

14. Yippee!!!

I hope the on screen controls disappear when icade is used, much like you guys did for the first game. Thanks for putting that and the transparency bar in the first game.

15. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

#35 Planetshooter, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    The story mode levels play several ways. The star rating is for your time. There's a separate coin icon on each level's selection button that will turn gold when you collect all the coins in one run, no matter how long that takes. Each story level also has the hidden shorts that you need to find, again with no time limit.

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Oh Mikey you're so fine
    You're so fine you blow my mind
    Hey Mikey
    Hey Mikey

17. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    It's been a boring past 2 months or so of ios gaming for me. This game is about to change that, can't wait!

18. Yes, this is good news.

19. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Enjoyed the first one so I pick this one up in 3 hours :)

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Same here. Can't wait.