GameClub Mikey Hooks (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 7, 2013.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I wonder if the expanded leaderboards provided by iOS7 will infact kill this game on iPodTouch3&4/iPhone3G/iPad1 since they don't support iOS7? Currently the only limit on this game is iOS4.3 thus those devices.

I know this was an issue for a while with supporting older devices while at the same time supporting the iphone5 widescreen, until a workaround was found. In any case, hopefully the leaderboard thing is independent of weather the device is running iOS7 or not.

2. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Are there gameplay videos available of people get real good times ? I almost 3 starred the first world, but I am clearly doing it wrong , because my times are not even near the top. Would like to pick up some pro techniques

3. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Im sure someone could post up a vid Here of a decent run! If not I can tomorrow when I get home from work :)

4. Breinstein

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Great! Looking forward to it !

5. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't have videos but just a few tips.

Never stop moving unless you are facing a zigzag jump. If you have to stop for any other reason re-evaluate where you are jumping from and how you are taking advantage of the level. If you are familiar with parkour/freerunning then there are similarities between the frame of thought for each. Use your environment to get where you are going.

When forced to jump not only jump to and from the edge rather than deep into the platform, but also the jump button is pressure (touch) sensitive. A longer press or a shorter press can shave time off the clock.

When you aren't beating your last time at a checkpoint, hit that restart button in the top left and go again. Sure, currently you won't collect coins for the partial level completed (the dev is working on adding it though), but you'll have a better chance to perfect each section of a level if you do that.

In the end, you don't have to get everything perfect to three star a level.. but the more you do perfect the more room you have to totally blow it in the last section or so of a level. I've managed to get three stars even after major boneheaded moves so keep at it and soon you'll realize that it's not as hard as it has to be.

Also button placement... that can make the game harder or easier. I like my buttons close together on the right and my left/right slider thing on the far left corner. It may not sound like much but it can make a world of difference.

Same for triggering a slide. Timing is everything, if you land and need to slide it seems a press before you touch the ground will not register... but a double press may get you through a tight spot.

Hmm... what else...

Those zigzag jumps. On the falling sections move slightly left and then before you touch down move right under the ledge on the bottom right. You can shave time off there... but this is more of an advanced thing to do when you are trying to shave hundredths of a second off and not just get three stars.

6. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    That is definitely a possibility. We have discussed adding an overall story leaderboard along with individual race boards.

7. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    And obvious one to add you don't need all coins either ;)

8. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Oh yeah I would play story more if you did that too :D

9. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, it probably would give you an extra reason to really play through all of the Story mode levels. :)

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah, that's a good one too. When 3*'ing a level only aim for time and ignore finding shorts or collecting coins. However, by default a lot of the levels are laid out where you can collect most if not all of the coins. So sometimes paying attention to the coin layout can help decipher a good way through each level.

11. Breinstein

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for all the great tips and taking the time to write it all down ! Really appreciate it.

12. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Do you know a good screenvid app or is filming with a camera the only way for doing this?

13. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    I don't know of any app I just use phone and iPad mini :)

14. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    The only video capture apps for recording directly in your device are for jailbroken only. There was one a few months ago called xRec but it was promptly yanked for TOS and copyright violation.

There are a few PC/Mac applications that utilize iOS mirroring functionality to capture clean video. Google search will bring up the best, they're all paid and not too cheap from what I remember but they're all legit.

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    You can also use an HDMI out adapter and then a capture card in a PC or a dvr if it will record over HDMI with an iPad2 or iPhone4S or up.

16. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    #356 Shaun glitch, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    I'll just film iPad mini with my iPhone simples :cool:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=200017

Don't forget to vote , voting finishes 10:19 am 15th :) TA TIME

17. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    What are everyones play times so far? I'm at 9:46

18. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    16:40 for now. I'm going to wait till after an update before trying too much for more highscores.

19. HDMI talk, so sexy!

20. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #360 nightc1, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    Keep your HDMI cable in your pocket. :p