Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Bonus levels are difficult. I've completed two but the others are proving to be a pain in the arse.
    I've got three pairs of shorts to get on the last few levels but will hopefully get them today.
    Some of the gamecentre boards are not showing me despite playing them all several times over, gamecentre has been so buggy lately.

2. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Mikey shorts > mikey hooks > mikey boots.

Enjoyed all three games but much prefer the exploration adventure of MShorts over the runner styled MHooks and MBoots.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Shorts was more of a runner than Hooks. >_>

4. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Because i am playing without any kind of game controller i like mikey boots the most. Mikey shorts and hooks were much harder to do with the touch controls...
    Mike, did you ger inspired by Flappy Bird (what i didnt play) when you were designing the flying Mikey for this game?

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    No inspiration from Flappy Bird. :) We had been planning on some form of rocket boots since the days of Mikey Shorts. And we hinted at the boots at the end of Mikey Hooks, and I believe I had a working prototype of the mechanic before I had ever heard of Flappy Bird. More of a Jetpack Joyride inspiration I guess. Just kind of evolved into what it is today over time, as the original plan (I think) was to have a limited number of boosts.

In the end, we really liked the idea of continuous boosting for both characters, and the removal of virtual controls has a nice simplicity to it. I know not everyone is a fan, but just like you pointed out, not everyone is a big fan of virtual controls. So you kind of alienate folks either way.

6. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Can you add a secret level for 100% completion (all achievements)?

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    If I remember correctly, nightc1 announced he was quitting around Level 18 or 19. I think it was around Level 23 where I started finding it much tougher to complete the levels without crashing. The later levels are definitely a real challenge.

For those struggling to find the last few pairs of shorts or improve times, I ended up doing this in Retro mode. The simpler graphics make it much easier to keep track of the myriad enemies and spot the hidden passages.

8. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I like the idea of secret levels! But not sure that is something we'll add. The bonus levels are kind of our special extras, but of course they're only based on star count (and not very secret).

Yeah, I think unlocking all normal levels to start, and labeling each page as beginner, easy, etc. (as qpawn described in his previous post) will help give players an idea of what to expect, and to allow the more experienced players to jump directly into the hard levels.

It's a hard balance to keep the game approachable for everyone -- if we make it to hard to start, then players will just say it is too hard and quit. Of course, too easy, and then players still quit playing. :)

And not to pick on you nightc1, but I did check and see that you stopped playing at level 20, so you really did stop right when the difficulty was going to start increasing. That's not to say you'd enjoy the later levels any better, but who knows. If you keep the game on your device and get the next update (once we complete it and submit) then all the levels will be unlocked and you can jump right into the hard stuff to check it out.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You could always just unlock the first level of each group?

10. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That's a good idea. Unfortunately, the way the code is written, it wouldn't be so simple. :)

11. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    Just a stat, 5 hours in and I have 100% completion minus ONE golden shorts (bonus 5). I swear, bonus 5 is harder than 6. In fact, difficulty progression does do a little jumping around, though on the whole isn't bad. I thought I wouldn't get past level 24 at one point, so there is a real feeling of improvement that I love.

12. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    How about unlockable costumes? Hopefully ones that are objectively better than the rest in some way (ie in real life they would be most expensive, rare, etc.).

13. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, I always like the idea of expensive and/or rare disguises. I think we started to do a little more of that in Mikey Hooks, but the problem is that we found only a very small percentage of people got the disguises. In fact, only a small percentage of people got a majority (or all) of the disguises. Being that our disguises are only cosmetic, we decided to make it easier for people to get them since part of the fun is mixing and matching as many disguises as possible. Random disguise selection still cracks me up at times. :)

14. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    #174 Breinstein, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Anybody else loose their progress after upgrading to iOS 8? I can see a Mikey boots save file in iCloud Drive but somehow I am not getting my progress back �� hmm Mikey hooks also does not sync for me

Nb: data i had in iCloud from other apps synced without any problems. My data seems to be there , is just does not get fetched ?

[​IMG]

15. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing on my 5s running iOS 8 GM. That's really strange as I'd expect it to just work. It isn't like we're doing anything fancy with iCloud here. I've also updated to the latest Xcode, and I noticed I had to re-select the custom container name. After doing that and running a new build on my phone, I was able to sync my cloud data.

But that won't help you until we can update (and that custom container should already be selected in the current Mikey Boots release, so it should just work!). I'll see if I can find some more information on this, and see if there isn't another workaround.

Thanks for reporting!

16. Breinstein

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for looking into it! Since i still wanted to play , i started fresh and when i switched from my 5s to my iPad iT did sync my new progress...

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Just so I'm clear, which iOS version(s) are you running on your devices?

Sorry you encountered this problem. There always seems to be at least one surprise when a new iOS version comes out.

18. Breinstein

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I am running iOS 8 GM on my 5s and also on my iPad 4 , after installation i opted for the option to switch to/ migrate my data to iCloud drive.

Nb : for me loosing my data is not a biggie, but i thought reporting it would be useful.

19. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, thanks for reporting it! I hadn't gotten around to trying it out yet.

I'm not sure if iCloud Drive matters because I think I selected no when asked to migrate. But thanks for pointing that out. Nice to have various data points to take into account.

Hopefully this won't be an issue once we get the next update out. I'm just not sure when that will be.

20. Scorpion008

Jun 18, 2011
    Finally got the last golden shorts (bonus 5) and achieved 100% completion! Feels good man.

Attached Files: