Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    #141 cy@n, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    I've played 11 levels so far and in every single level there is some space for improvement :) (level 2 could be done better, too)
    Just level 8 felt a little bit like "perfect" ... But maybe i am wrong.

And Andonisus did a great job in bonus level 1 :cool:

2. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    If any new leaderboard is added, it should be a total time or total rank leaderboard that simply adds up every run, just like the challenge levels in mikey hooks.

3. Andonisus

Andonisus Member

Aug 26, 2012
    First, thanks again to the team for another amazing Mikey game. Same great speed-run itch to scratch wrapped in a brilliant new mechanic. My productivity is dropping to an all time low, I think :)

Cyan, thanks for the shout out! I love that there's even a community of Mikimaniacs all working together to shave milliseconds off each level. Andy, of course, is setting some pretty high bars I haven't been able to overtake...YET! ;)

And phebhex is a new face, to me at least. He/she has some pretty great times I've noticed!

Happy rocket-booting!

4. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Lots of activity in the thread, so I'm not sure how to respond to it all. First off, thanks to all the new folks posting for playing and enjoying the game (and of course the old veterans)! We really do appreciate all of the support!!

We'll keep a list of requested features, and see what we can do in a future update. No guarantees at this point. It has been an interesting release to say the least.

Yeah, we have a work-around for that GC + iOS7 duplicate bug problem. Unfortunately, our update has been sitting in limbo for 1.5 weeks now, so I have no idea when it will get pushed through. I'm guessing things are really slow with the announcement of new iPhones + iOS8 next week.

5. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I just said this in the last page.

6. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    My bad. Must've missed it.

7. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I hate this current obsession with this 8bit crap! Also TA's obsession with it giving them all game of the week status! I notice it's rapidly disappearing out of the charts while the good stuff remains!

8. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Thank you for this information.

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    If you think the good stuff remains then what's your problem?

I think many of the games in the AppStore charts are crap to be honest, (having actually playaed them) but each to their own. The AppStore is massive, plenty of room for this style of games and for your preferences.

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    "Ultimately though, Mikey Boots is just simply great fun. It easily offers that ‘just one more go’ factor, enticing you into being better every time. It’s a fantastic example of a well-made platformer."

Full 148Apps review

11. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Going by the three exclamation marks I don't think the obsession is TA's.

12. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Unfortunately, lots of good games disappear out of the charts rather quickly. And some don't even make it high enough for anyone to take notice. Hard space to be in. But that doesn't mean a game is good or bad. I've seen plenty of high profile (good) games fizzle out of the starting gate. Just the nature of the App Store. Sorry you didn't like the game, and had to come and shout at us, but plenty of folks here have enjoyed it (and not just TA).

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #153 undeadcow, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mickey Boots was nominated for the Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week poll. Voting will occur over the next three days. Come vote for your favorite recent releases:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=241647

Developers may not vote for their own game; only pre-existing Touch Arcade members may participate (users cannot join just to vote).

14. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Just wanted to say that the devs gifted me Mikey Shorts a long time ago and I've bought everything they put out since. In app purchase included. It's all that good.

I am not sure whether I love or hate these final levels. I have two bonus and three campaign left. Funny thing though, I find myself getting three starts on first try 90% of the time (once I actually beat a level), despite having to attempt several of them over and over and over.

Also the coins are super easy to get. The true madness comes from trying to both dodge everything using the minority your brain and concentrating on looking for the shorts. I never find them without doing this. It's insane. (I'm at 34/42 shorts ATM.)

I also noticed all the prices got majorly lowered. I am indifferent to this. It would be nice to be something to buy at this point though. Also, please add a bonus level or something at 100% completion. I got 100% on one of the other mikey games just for the wizard hat. I now get it for a measly $100.

Anyways, keep up the good work and thanks for your games!

15. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    So far I'm loving this. Please tell me that the levels get challenging at some point.

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Not really. Just follow the coins for an easy three star run on the first try or so. The only hard part is going for the shorts (which I found classic mode helped in looking for the off colored blocks) and trying to compete on the leader boards. But the Highscores plateau very quickly thus making the race to the top ultimately very boring given only a few places per level determine the overall time.

17. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    The game gets more challenging for a lot of folks around Level 13. For the elite TA forum players, the game probably won't get tough until Level 19 and up. Although the speedrunners still seem to be very active on earlier levels. :)

We're planning on unlocking all the levels and mention difficulty on each page in Level Select... something like: Beginner, Easy, Medium, Hard, Very Hard, Extreme.

The Mikey games have been very consistent with only having a few zig zags in each level where you can cut down your time. This is designed to put more pressure on the player to complete the rest of the level without bumping into anything. :cool:

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    True, but this game dumbs down the chance of really running into anything. That is I rarely met my death to a missile or ledge or whatever. Where as the past games had dozens of spots where a miss timed jump (or swing) meant a time penalty. So it took time to perfect a run outside of the zig zags. Especially on the first few runs. Here you Just follow the yellow coin road for an easy safe path to the end thus taking away any need to really study the levels. Anyone with some moderate skill at any flappy bird type game should find this really easy even on the later levels even on the first try. Heck most of my first attempts at a level yielded 3 stars and a 100% coins.

So speed running in this is hugely dumbed down. At least for me it is and I squashed Andy a few times on the leader boards before realizing the game on a whole wasn't that challenging or fun. No smiles or cheers like with Hooks. So it's not like I'm some sore loser that can't figure out a game so I talk it down. I'm a passionate fan that is overall disappointed in this edition of an otherwise great series of speed runners.

19. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    How far did you get into the game? :confused:

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm find level 30 onwards mentally hard - in a very good way. Finding those underpants too is getting trickier and trickier too. I absoluely love it - not as much as shorts or hooks but it's still great.