Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Fantastic score cy@n (and Shaun and Andy)! I wasn't sure if anyone was going to get a faster time than Andy, but you crushed it! :eek: Looks like we might have a more heated competition than anticipated.

2. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    What a great game (again), Mike!
    Its much harder than the previous versions and i totally love it! Thank you for this new Mikey!!!

3. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm glad you are enjoying the game! It is fun watching you all compete. I know I wouldn't even come close to the top times. :)

4. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Hey Glenn, sorry for not responding earlier to your post, I wasn't trying to ignore you. Thanks for sharing the link to your upcoming game, I hadn't seen that yet. The reverse controls is an interesting option, and one that we never considered. We'll add it to our list of possible changes, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it (I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard) unless there was a huge demand for it. But you never know!

5. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #125 Lazer Kat, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Mike, one feature request I know has been mentioned several times is the replay level button.
    It is in the top left, which I'm sure is fine for iPhones...but when using a 9.7" iPad (or even an iPad mini) it is just plain inconvenient. When speed-running it is one of the most pressed parts of the screen. It only seems right to place a retry button somewhere within thumbs reach inside of the pause menu and in the after level menu.
    I can't remember the game, but I remember a feature where a long hold in the bottom middle would give you a retry, that could work very well here.

I'd estimate that the options button is hit once for every 100 times the retry button is hit. It seems the twos placement being reversed would make much more sense for each.

EDIT: there appears to be a glitch with the boards. I always appear in second place. For instance, if I'm in third place on the leaderboard my name and time appears in 2nd and third.
    If I'm in 7th, I appear as 2nd and 7th, and so on.

6. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not having really played the others much (due to other things at the time, sorry) -- do you guys regularly put out extra levels/modes?

Loving this, wouldn't bother me if add-ons came out as IAPs...

Will go through the other two when done with this!

7. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #127 Lazer Kat, Sep 7, 2014
    Oh. One more feature request (that I know players have asked for since the original) is a fair pause resume feature. As it is, pausing your game (or getting any notification) is a speed run killer. A simple countdown back into the action would solve it.

There's nothing worse than being .03 behind Andy, restarting the same level 30 times in a row, finally making the first two curves perfect , being .12 ahead of your previous best time, and then getting a low battery notification which ruins it. Yeah. That just happened.

8. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    #128 ramon31, Sep 7, 2014
    Loving the game top work, all three of your titles are terrific.

Is there a chance of a total times for all the levels leaderboard.

Thanks for the excellent game, keep up the good work.

9. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #129 Lazer Kat, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    I think this is a great idea.
    I'd like to see a leaderboard with a few levels that took into account the amount of times you played the level. For instance, if you got a 40.25 your first run, then that's your score. If you ran the course again and got a 39.80, then .05 (or whatever number felt fair) would be added for each additional run...
    This would really add a lot of strategy to time trials. You'd have to decide whether it was worth trying again, and it wouldn't allow people with a crap-ton of free time to have an advantage because they can run the same level 500 times to get the perfect score.

10. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    I get this also but anywhere on leaderboard hers an example 28th and 31st

Attached Files:

11. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    That would kill the replay ability of the game think that's a rubbish idea sorry :)

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mike said a few pages back that they've already sibmitted a fix.

13. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #133 Lazer Kat, Sep 7, 2014
    No, it wouldn't "kill" anything. As I said, this would just be a separate mode with separate levels. It would take away nothing from the game. You'd still be able to play levels 1-5 for hours at a time to get your times. ;)
    It would just be a separate leaderboard and portion of a game that gave a more accurate representation of the player's skill level.

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think you'd just get people hitting the retry button or deliberately hitting spikes before they reach the end. A total time leaderboard would be nice though.

15. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Nah still rubbish IMHO the faster the time the higher the skill level full stop :D

16. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Just noticed I've been on TA 4 years now and known mikeg123 since first joining when he was just a hardcore ISO gamer ,now he's a successful dev with 3 games in the App Store how things change :eek: :D

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    4 games. ;) Also yep, Mike G. is one of the most awesome people I've had the privilege of "knowing" over the last few years on TA and I'm pretty certain I've fallen asleep listening to the soothing sounds of Mike M. on the podcast on more than one occasion. :p BeaverTap 4 lyfe, yo.

18. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I do agree that adding a different leaderboard wouldn't have to kill the current leaderboards, but I think the difference between them is small enough that it might cause some confusion.

I don't think the idea is very sound though. First of all, skill does increase with practice, so as unfair as it might be to people who don't have as much time to game, the fact is that someone who has lots of free time to practice a game is likely to get more skilled at it than someone else who can't practice as much. So a leaderboard which tries to penalize people who practice more won't really be measuring true skill, it'll just be handicapping more skilled people to allow less skilled people to be higher on the leaderboard.

Second, as others have pointed out it would be easy to game the leaderboard anyway. People could just be sure to hit restart before the level ends when they know their time is off, to avoid it counting as a run. If you tried to fix that by making restarts count against players too, that would just make the game feel even more frustrating to anyone who cared about that leaderboard.

19. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #139 Lazer Kat, Sep 7, 2014
    Well it would be pretty easy to program the penalty to still effect the player when they hit restart.
    Another option would be a leaderboard which showed the amount of tries it took a player to finish all of the levels, or something like that.
    I guess my point is that it would be nice to at least have one leaderboard where a player who has only played a level 3 times, and has a time of 38.20 would be ahead of someone who has a 38.17 and has played the same level 160 times. I know this is hard to implement though.

20. Frika

Frika Member

May 29, 2014
    Had to have a go at boards, ended up tieing ur time for lvl 2, so salty when i ended up tieing andy for nr1 on 16 and 26 aswell. atleast i got a couple of top spots on the way.

That beeing said, is there any plan to implement at total time like the other mikey games? i prefer to shave time off throughout all levels and not always push the same level for a top spot.