Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Only now I checked the options. Loved the retro graphics and love the stats. I with every game had stats!

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I was wondering how long it would take for people to find the retro option! Glad you liked it. We decided not to hide that behind IAP like in Mikey Hooks.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Really enjoying this. Really starts to get interesting around level 13 and then bonus level 2 kicks you in the keister. Great game, I'm hoping more levels are coming some time.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I never even realized this was an option in Hooks but I also found the retro option here on the first night I played Boots and yep...really cool option :D

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    It was hidden in the Bonus menu in Mikey Hooks. But you have to purchase the $0.99 bonus unlock -- that gets you retro mode, extra hearts, coin vacuum, and coin doubler.

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #106 Lazer Kat, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    You guys should release a public API of your controls so all devs could make games that felt so natural. ;)
    All three of the Mikey games control absolutely perfect.

5/5

EDIT:
    Q. Does changing the look of your charecter also change the hitbox? (For instance, the Box Cat head makes you much bigger)

7. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    The hitbox doesn't change. It stays the same no matter what disguise you're wearing. :)

8. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
    Here's me getting first place on the last bonus level! I can't stop playing this game, haha.

http://imgur.com/XnwaEUg

9. Paps Shenanigan

Paps Shenanigan Active Member

Apr 10, 2011
    I agree with you on this - Mikey hooks had a little more depth into routes, controls and shaving time off. Have your tried League of Evil 3? I really enjoyed that one in particular for speed running on top of it being a very difficult platformer. There is a built in recording option for saving runs too which I nice. Cheers.

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    My eldest was playing it at school on an iPod and although his pals liked the look of it, not one of them downloaded it as it cost money.

11. sweet taylor

sweet taylor Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2014
    cashier
    the beautiful hills of kentucky
    Not a fan of the trail. Hope they make a no smoke trail because it's too distracting.

12. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #112 Lazer Kat, Sep 6, 2014
    Andy - if you ever get time, I'd be really interested to see a video of one of the easier levels (something in the 5-10 range, maybe?) showing how you manage to shave so much time off of a level that seems to have very little room for improvement. Somehow you're consistently topping my scores by ~.3 / sec. even when I have a run that feels perfect.

Anyway...this is my favorite of the Mikey series as well

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I should've included that in my write-up earlier. Yeah, this is easily my favorite game in the series.

14. Frika

Frika Member

May 29, 2014
    Well thats it, finished all the achievements and managed to beat one of andys times, that aught to do it.

Great game as aswell, the controls are spot on. I do hate that the entire games is pretty much dodge stuff and the speed running part is just 1-3 upward flights, that kinda ruins it for me as opposed to the other games. It might have been similar but it feels awful that an entire run is just about restarting till u get a perfect upward flight and then just dodge it till ur home safe.

Even though i'm not a big fan of the speed running in this game, its still an awesome game and i hope its not the last one :)

15. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #115 Lazer Kat, Sep 6, 2014
    I do feel like there should be more variance in the speed run times.
    vertical movements should take away from your time, but instead no matter how far up or down you move your time is always the same as long as you don't hit anything and you're moving horizontal.

The closest distance between two points is a straight line, so naturally you'd expect a straight run to give a better time than flapping up and down. This minor change would make the game SO MUCH more strategic when shooting for low times.

So yes...all of the time is really shaved off during the few turns each level...

I also wish there were more levels.
    The meat and potatoes of the game is trying to achieve low times.

The levels of the game are finished far too quickly.

Those are negatives, yes, but still this game is a 5/5 for me, and a contender for goty.

16. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    I guess Andy and Shaun have to start from the beginning :cool:

Attached Files:

17. Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl Well-Known Member

Oh look, it's me at number 10!

18. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Good time as expected sir and I have a potential fastest time watch this space ;)

19. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Better pull your finger out the :p

20. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Thanks and good luck!
    I think we will see 39.1 soon.