Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Ha, you guys. :eek:

The truth is that I have played the first nine levels + Bonus 1 and the in-game leaderboards tell me that I am #1 on all of levels that I've played. I'm sure I'm just keeping that spot warm though for someone like Shaun Glitch; I'm pretty confident he can beat my times if he wants to. :)

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Looks like you've moved on to level 10.

So now the game begins. :cool:

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm on 21, keep dying my nine year old has just overtook me and is at 24...:..

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha... my wife just tried and rage quit on stage 3. She really likes the first two, but it might take a while before this grows on her.

5. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Originally I wasn't a fan of Mikey Shorts because it seemed too simple and I just didn't "get it." But I decided to give the series another shot when Hooks came out due to the praise the series seemed to generate. I think once I learned to appreciate it for what it was I started to really enjoy the Mikey games. Sometimes simplicity is best and this series really does do that right. This game looks like another good one with a simple twist. I'll grab it soon enough.

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    The bonus levels are mental - in a good way.
    The Candyland music also brings to mind for me at least the Wendy Carlos synth music from Clockwork Orange - not a bad thing.
    And lastly - it really is a challenge to find some of those underpants.
    Personally, I really do think it's a masterpiece. It's busier than the last two but it's just so damn good.

7. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
    http://youtu.be/m4gbs_3nois

Here's the final Normal level, I'll post up my run of bonus 4 too, I didn't record myself beating bonus 5 and 6, I had to restart them so many times hitting delete and record over and over got too tiring, haha.

8. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
    http://youtu.be/Ek7FBGy54wQ

Here's the secret shorts location for level 10, it took me forever to find these ones, I've got vids of the rest of the secret shorts locations being added to my channel as I find them if anyone needs help

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... I'm beyond hooked. I've been playing level 1 for the last 45 minutes, just trying to get another .03 off my time. =oP

I don't think I've been THIS driven with the past two titles. While the forward areas aren't too much of a challenge, getting those turns just right is pretty challenging. Sucks when you get something like -.17 seconds off your time then hit the last left area and BANG, right into the edge of the platform, almost 2/10ths of a second quicker goes down the drain, snap up to replay. =oP

I know I'll never hit Andy's times, but I'm having one hell of a time getting as close as I can. =oD

10. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
  11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I thought I'd still like this despite how cut down it is with this control scheme but I'm not really finding it as fun as I'd hoped replaying levels. High score chasing feels kind of empty since there's typically one decent path through every level and 1 to 3 vertical sections that make up the only places where times can get shorter. I guess Hooks spoiled me with path variety whiched encouraged some creative thought.

I hope this doesn't come off super negative. It is a five star game but I honestly the deeper I go into the levels the less I like the game. I finished all of the past mikey games... But I'm just not feeling much love for this flappy style edition.

So I guess I may do something I rarely ever do with games I'm this deep into and just walk away. Typically I'd sludge through but if something isn't fun I think it's best if maybe I save my sanity. And yes I have top 10 scores in (I think) all of the first 19 levels and even pushed Andy aside from first on one of them (or two?). So it's not like the game was that challenging. It's just not fun playing through the levels over and over for a couple spots to see if I can improve a score. Oh well. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

12. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I played through the first 12 levels or so yesterday. I must admit, I hadn't played Hooks but I loved Shorts. It isn't surprising that the high score chasers are less into it. Mikey Shorts has absolutely the best controls of any iOS platformer but, at the end of the day, there are still problems with touch screen. Back when I played it I regularly found myself running in the wrong direction because of the lack of tactile feedback. Mikey Boots is far more accessible, more likely to be played by more casual players and has, I reckon, a better chance of becoming really huge than the first two games.

13. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Do love this one although it's shallower in both strategy and content; my free time since Shorts has ebbed so I suppose it works out.

I do miss the thrill of jumping over the start line to fall to the bottom tier, hitting your head on the ceiling to make a jump, etc. (C-44 was it?!?)

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mega coin count in that video, Andy. You've been playing a lot!

15. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Yeah, yesterday I went from Level 10 to pretty much finishing the game. I replayed levels as needed, to reach the #1 spot before I moved on. Just need to find my shorts, now. :)

I've never been a big fan of virtual buttons in iOS platformers. Now, that's not to say that there's anything wrong with them or they don't work, of course they do when done properly and I've played many excellent iOS platformers, Mikey games included. But no, I'm not a big fan, and speedrunning in the other Mikey games left me with a very sore left thumb whenever I played (I have a tendency to press down on the screen rather hard when speedrunning, I don't know why. Maybe I think it'll make Mikey run quicker or something). That wasn't the games's fault of course, just a silly quirk I have that has been negated in Boots.

Although Boots does have platforming elements it's not really a platformer in the way that Shorts and Hooks are; if you go into Boots expecting something similar to the other 2 you might be disappointed. Rusty Moyher described his (excellent) game SHAARK!+ (previously known as Angle Isle) as a "flapformer," (a term he coined before Flappy Bird went global, believe it or not) and I think that description is quite apt in the case of Mikey Boots, too.

Mikey Boots has gotten its hooks into me more than the previous Mikey games and I think a big reason for that is the new controls in this one. Or maybe I'm just becoming a more "casual" gamer as I get older (I'll be turning 31 later this month). ;)

16. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I've been trying to keep up with this thread the best I can, and it has been very interesting to read the views from both sides, good and bad. So please continue to discuss, and that's alright if the new controls aren't your thing -- we knew that was a major change going into this. :)

I probably shouldn't say anything, but Mikey Boots is my favorite of the 3. :eek: I think the simplicity of the controls really resonates with me, and I had a lot of fun implementing them. They just felt right, I guess. But then I'm one half of the developer, so I'm extremely biased. :)

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Pretty much everything Andy said holds true for me, (including pressing too hard, although I'm already 31)!

One minor thing to note: I keep seeing my score appear twice in the Global leaderboard within the app. E.g. I'll be at #6 in the Global leaderboard but my score normally also appears in the #2 slot. I'm guessing the reason I appear at #2 is because that's my usual position on the Friends leaderboard (thanks, Andy).

18. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, that's a strange GC + iOS7 bug when requesting scores. It is fixed as best we could (re-sort rank and remove dupes) in an update we submitted over a week ago. I'm guessing Apple has been overwhelmed with iOS8 and new iPhone updates, etc.