Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Did your son have a go yet slam?

My daughter loves it and can't wait to get home home, saying that though she said the other two she thinks are better and this reminds her of other games with flappy elements, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like this and she loves the speed run part of it. Coins are generous and she's looking forward to buying all the custom options. First thing she said before loading the game " that Andy dude will be top" haha. She leaves me in her dust on twitchy type games now so she's going after Andy lol.
    She said she would give the game five out if five so that's what I've rated it.

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep, Cloudpuff - my youngest (8yo) loved it. He had a shot before school and I had to take it off him. My eldest (12yo) had it ready for the bus to school. I'll hear later how he got on. I just absolutely love the Mikey games. If I can beat Andy's time on one level I'll be happy - although I know that this won't happen.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't think Andy has played past level 5 (unless GC isn't catching all his scores?). The Charts after level 5 seem to be Me, Fep52, & Hoggy110. Heck several levels (14, 15) that's the top 3 in the world in various orders. In most of those levels that i checked all 3 are at least in the top 10. I stopped last night after finishing level 15 and I stopped going for Highscores after getting 1st or 2nd so I'd have incentive to go back. I got bumped down in a few levels while sleeping. But outside of level one for a while there I had #1 or #2 in those 14 levels.

4. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I just downloaded this and it seems very cool but could I make just one tiny feature request.

I've been making a game with very similar controls (thread in 'upcoming games' here) for a while and I have the controls reversed. This means that I'm finding it very hard to adapt to Mikey Boots.

I'm sure anyone reading this will be wondering why the hell I would do anything so insane but there are a couple of reasons.

1. When playing on the phone, if the character is moving right, your thumb isn't obscuring the bit of the level you are flying into.

2. It sort of makes logical sense, you press the corner of the screen the 'thruster' will be directed at.

I already have the option to flip the controls in my game but most people seem to get on with them 'reversed'. Please add this as an option even though I'm almost certainly a lone voice on this.

I hope Mikey Boots is a huge hit, deserves to be, even if it forces me to change the control defaults in my game...

5. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    One more suberb exibition of touch controls on a platformer. Made 51 seconds on my first run and 41 on my fifth (earing 3 starts). Controls, level design and learning curve form a perfect match here.

6. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    My teeny tiny request would be to have the retry button closer to where the hands are from playing instead of up in the top left corner, that's just me being impatient and wanting to dive back in though lol.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wowza! This is damn near the PERFECT mobile experience!

I'm sure it's all just personal preference and whatnot, but owning Shorts, Hooks and now Boots, this one is far and away my favorite.

I can see where some platformer purists might have a predetermined expectation of what they wanted this game to be and since it doesn't just include run, jump, slide etc. they might already have written this off as just a gimmick game. If that sounds like you; DON'T prejudge Mikey Boots, this is such a delight.

Mike, you have my customer loyalty all wrapped up, and you have my five stars (also, my $2 happily ;) )

Richard

8. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am enjoying this more than their previous two games and I loved those.

9. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Absolutely love the game!! It takes courage to change game mechanics after two hits, and I think they did a great job! Now it is not just part 3 with more of the same but a fresh new experience with recognizable features from the past two games we all love. Enough talk for now , time to play :)

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Same here :) even though you guys, my GC friends are kicking my but it still feels like a real accomplishment finishing a level with a decent time and three stars.

11. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Completely agree well said! And yes it's still a fantastic game and deserves five stars.

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is easily the worst of the three for me. The devs had such a firm grasp of how to do platformers well on iOS, heartbreaking stuff.

13. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Apologies if this was answered already. What is the significance of the glowing wall sections in the levels? In the earlier games, people had to be rescued to unlock the next section of a level. What does it mean in this game?

14. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    For what reasons?

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #76 nightc1, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Think of those as check points. When you replay the only purpose is to compare your time with your ghost time to see if you are making progress towards a speed run or doing worse. The statues/people rescuing was only in the first two games, they axed it in Hooks and really it would make no sense for it to be in this game either since you spend most of the time in the air.

16. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    My only complaint so far is that the first 20 levels are too easy. Passed most of the with 3 stars on the first try and sometimes getting hit two times.

17. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I noticed he's missing from some of the boards too, it's his tactic to let others have some glory for a little while before pulling the rug from under them haha.

18. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    My 8yo daughter who loved the first two games has given up on Mikey Boots because she finds it too hard.

Just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time.

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm cool with that, if that's the case.