Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I loved the last 2 Mikey's and spent an incredible amount of time with both. It's a no-brainer for me :D

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I was concerned over the control change since so much of the past games was simply trying to eek out those extra 10th and 100th's of a second for the leaderboards. It sounds like they will work ok. I wonder still though how much this will affect the leaderboards? I mean, auto running means all of the time eating bits will be in the vertical movement portions. So it'll all be about cutting corners at just the right moment. Yet death is a bigger deal now. My main fear is that in the end this will be a great game but the whole highscoring competition (like many of us here had with the last game) will be sort of lost.

I'm going to buy it. All of the games are excellent and it's good this dev as always continues to support older ios versions and devices.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I haven't really bought anything new recently - but I can't pass up on another Mikey game! So excited!!! =oD

MC - I'm SOOO jealous of you right now... =oP

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

This is a definite purchase for me. Mikey Shorts was great and Mikey Hooks was even better. Thanks to metalcasket for your thorough impressions!

5. beasstt

beasstt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Houston, TX
    The real question is, does Mike Meade's mom recommend this game? I'm sure she would give an unbiased and objective review.

6. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I'm all over this. The Mikey series is my favorite when it comes to iOS

7. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Definitely getting this. I watched the video and liked the change in gameplay.

8. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm staying up late tonight to watch Murray vs Djokovic so I'll be all over this in approximately 6 hours.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The leaderboards were always like this, at least at the top. I'd never take my finger off the L/R button except to change direction and you always moved at the same horizontal speed whether running, jumping or sliding, so optimising your path through the vertical sections was the only way to improve times anyway.

The new control scheme sounds like it recognizes that and streamlines the controls as a result, so it can only be a good thing for me.

10. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    same here :)

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Maybe my concerns will be completely wrong. But the speed running part of the past games was all about timing platform jumps which lead to a variety of different scores. I kind of fear this will end up with less room for error thus making the distance between highscores much smaller if not more easily have everyone reach the ultimate high score quicker. I was up there amongst the top scores so I know how quickly that could change and how fun it was to strike back by eeking out those extra tenths of a second for those top 10... 20.. scores. I just hope that isn't lost in this game. If it is, I'm sure I'll still find it fun... I just enjoy the community side of these games almost more than actually playing them.

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Point taken. It may not affect the way I play that much but I guess it does force others to play in the same way. Will definitely still be buying it though.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Most of the levels don't really have anywhere for Mikey to auto-run (and if there is, it doesn't last longer than a second), so you'll be floating nearly all the time. Let's just say that every single tap you make could affect your high score. Don't worry, like I said in my write-up, the competitive side of the series is very much alive and kicking in Boots.

14. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Loved Mikey Shorts and Mikey Hooks, this one's a definite buy from me.

Good luck with the launch!

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I appreciate the feedback. I'm committed to buying it, I'm glad the highscore competition so far looks like it'll be as good as ever.

Guess we'll see as this releases and the leaderboards start filling up. That's what got me amped up for Hooks... and really the main thing I'm looking forward to with this one. It'll also be interesting to see how the various platforms play into the leaderboards. Hopefully not at all, but no doubt that last

16. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  17. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    It is great to see all of the excitement in this thread! We definitely had a lot of fun making Mikey Boots, and can't wait until it is out worldwide! Thanks to everyone for all of the support. And thanks Metalcasket for the very kind words!

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Dusting down my Logitech and Steel Series Controllers. I'm sure the touch controls are perfect though. Even charging my iPod so my boy can play it on the bus to school. Would be great if the kidz dug Mikey. Good luck with it all, Mike and Mike.

19. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Snap. I've got my daughters on charge so she can play in the morning. Would have been great if it released last week when the schools were off as I'd have let her stay up til midnight. She's so excited for it.

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Fantastic. Even my 8yo gets in on the Mikey action. He needs to wait until after school though. Mike is by far my favourite iOS character. In fact probably the only real iOS character in my house. Just saw the tennis starts at 2am and I just can't last so will unhappily wait until the morning now. One more sleep!