Universal Mikey Boots (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sorry for taking this train even more off of the tracks, but I'll just respond to your post as someone who only upgraded to iOS 7 2 weeks ago

If you look at it reasonably, there are 2 main reasons why people don't upgrade the iOS they're running

1)The OS to upgrade to brings a worse performance for their device. This was where I stood. This is an issue that is probably most prevalent with the jump from iOS 6 to 7, but its been present throughout iOS history really. Whilst the new OS brings in a number of new things which continues on going in the background (for example, multi-tasking, notification center, control center), these new features need to consistently use a part of the CPU and/or RAM, meaning there would be less spare for applications being used. By not upgrading, you wont get these new features using up parts of the processor, leaving more room spare in those areas for video games.
    With video games which need to use quite a lot of the processor and RAM to run, these new features added in the new OS could end up causing the game to crash a lot more or not even run. However, with the old OS, the game is able to run without any issues. Developers can optimize the app so it can keep this performance level, but that's going to take more work. Take Abducted's launch for an example of this. When it came to the launch period, the developers decided that if they were to optimize the games for A5 devices running iOS 7, they wouldn't make launch. Instead, they released the game saying the game wouldn't work on those devices running iOS 7 but they would work on the same devices running iOS 6. Eventually, they managed to work in support for those devices running iOS 7. The devs let people who could play the game do that, and people who couldn't were eventually able to later on.
    Personally, I haven't seen any different performance issues when running games (then again, I haven't really played games which need high performance since I upgraded), but I have noticed with multi-tasking that my apps are needing to reload more and more than when I had iOS 6 installed.

2)They just aren't able to upgrade to the next iOS because they can't afford to get a better device. Why don't they simply purchase a brand new device? Simple answer, really. It isn't feasible for them to do that at the current time. I still use my iPod Touch 4th Gen everyday, and whilst I use my iPad 2 to game way more than I do with that, I still use my iPod Touch to play games in little downtime during the day, games like Unblock Me or Boson X. It still doesn't have a lot of support for games I'd rather have on it though like Threes. Why don't I just simply buy one of the new iPhones then? Because I don't have the money to do that. It's starting to become a similar situation with my iPad as well. There's two ways I could go. The first is to completely stop paying for iOS games and just save up money until I get enough money to purchase a new iDevice, or I keep on asking developers to put in support for the older devices.
    It's not that people are too cheap to go off and buy a new device, it's that they aren't able to do so in the first place. There are people who can go out and pick up every single iDevice that releases each year, but that doesn't mean there are others who can only afford to pick one up every couple of years or so, and even then it may be a device that's a year older. Not everyone is able to spend a load of money on games and then buy new hardware straight afterwards.

These posts can end up being annoying, I do agree (and I disapprove of me constantly going to game threads and complaining about iOS 7 requirements when games were starting to implement them last year), but it can be their only way of actually getting the developers to notice this issue. It's rather simple to scroll past it without giving notice to it, a mental blockage if you will, and it can lead to some good conversation with developers. To be fair, people would probably end up being less aggressive if people weren't so aggressive or disrespectful to them in the first place (looking at you, Eli), and if developers would give them answers that they want. It's not like you're talking with some deranged person, you don't know whether they're willing to have a reasonable conversation or not until you actually give it a shot.

But yeah, to draw it back to Mikey Boots. Good platformer, but probably the worst out of the Mikey games (that isn't really saying much other than the quality of the Mikey games is rather high). I've got props to the devs for trying to make the audience as wide as they possibly can, and for them willing to go back to hardware like the iPod Touch 4 and get it working at playable rates.

2. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    I guess you simply stopped playing this game too soon.
    There are 42 levels (including the bonus levels) and if you wanna get it "harder" :D you have to play the last ones (especially the last 3 bonus levels ... i am still trying to get through bonus level 5 without being "hit" by the spiky walls :cool:

3. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Intro to nightc1: I have you beat on 10 levels. And those are just from the first half of the game. Come beat the rest of it before you complain you're too elite and the speed running mechanics don't satisfy you. Specifically I challenge you on bonus 5.

So, now my two cents. What I think won't really matter to the devs because I don't criticize them in any way (constructive or otherwise), but I think this needs to be said so here goes. I love Mikey shorts. I love Mikey hooks. I love Mikey boots. Don't ask me to pick a favourite.

Now, I liked the coin trails. I thought they were quit helpful, and when you get to 31-36 they are necessary to beat a level without many retries. I found the difficult to be quite challenging by the end and thus quite enjoyable. I noticed getting the golden shorts was much harder since you had to use your peripheral vision while avoiding the obstacles, and again, this was very enjoyable.

Like all great games though, Mikey boots gets easier with practice. For example, I once thought I could never beat bonus 5, now I have the 4th top score and a no death run on it. The most recent challenge I have given myself was to beat all of qpawn's scores, and I have all of those but 32-36 (yes, I beat qpawn's scores on all the bonus levels).

I really think there is something for everyone here. Easy levels at the beginning, with the ability to improve and keep moving forward and hard challenges for the best among us. Once again, thank you Mike and Mike for the awesome Mikey series. If I could ask for one thing, could you work on a cumulative leaderboard so no matter which level we improve, that overall score would go up?

4. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Whoa new app icon is Epic!!!

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    The gauntlet has been thrown! :) And feel free to criticize if you want, we don't mind. I just find there is a constructive (and polite) way to do it. We're always looking for suggestions and what not, but that doesn't mean we'll do everything. :) But I'm glad you love the games!

Thanks, we like it too!

And just in case anyone missed it, there is now a Mikey Trilogy bundle that you can get for $2.99. 3 games for $3!

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Ok, I went back, spent about 30min (spread out over a few hours as I had time), and beat all the levels I hadn't played except level 36, bonus 5 & bonus 6. Best I did in level 36 was 90%, Bonus 5 was 83%, & bonus 6 I made it to 93%. I think had I not run out of time I probably could have finished 36 and bonus 6 fairly easily. Bonus 5 though is the toughest level in the game. I finished most levels in 3 or fewer tries.

The crux of the matter though isn't that the game is too easy or difficult, but that I don't find it particularly fun due in great part to the level design. If other people love it, good for them. You, for instance, seem to have loved Tiny Wings and Flappy Bird... but I didn't. So different strokes. I definitely agree though that the later levels get tougher but until level 33, nothing was any bit of a challenge for me. Most of the toughness came from spike walls and odd color schemes. I do wonder though if a controller would give some advantage in this game?

Bonus level 4 was good. I'd consider that the best level in the game because the lack coins (only 50) made path finding a thing to do through the entire level.

I posted about my scores mainly to say that I'm not just some random gamer that came here to bash this game that people could go look up my scores and see I was a legit person that owned this game and seriously played it. It wasn't to say "I'm elite and you are not", though people will read into stuff whatever they want to. I own (because I purchased them) all of the 3 main Mikey games, also for speedrunners I also own most of the games from Ravenous as well as Mos Speedrun and both Beyond Ynth games. So if I talk about Speedrunners in another thread it's not just comparing the Mikey series. I enjoy the genre.

Anyway, after playing this today, I do have some ideas that would take the level design in a different direction and make it more exciting and fresh without just resorting to more spikes or removing coins... but I don't think anyone wants to hear ideas at this point so I'm going to walk away.

But rest assured, I have played every single level in this game and GC can back most of that up. I don't find it fun even after not playing it since a few days after it launched... which is sad for me (as I love finding fun games to play) but life goes on.

7. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    I've always thought the goal of a speed runner is to finish a level as fast as possible and NOT just to finish a level.

8. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    This game is broken on iPhone 6 plus correct? I only see half the screen at launch.

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah me too. Only happens when device orientation is locked though. Unlock orientation, kill app, relaunch and it'll work like normal

10. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Level 7 highscore: cheat or shortcut?

11. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    The orientation problem on ios8 is because, when you ask the device the screen size, it now takes orientation into account. Given that a lot of apps have had this problem and it takes a few minutes to fix, you'd think Apple would check for it! The fix is to make sure your device is in landscape mode before running the game

12. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, looks like cheat. Easy enough to take care of!

It seems like every iOS release there is some new issue with orientation. But you're right that it's an easy fix, and we'll get that in there asap.

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I'm just slightly irritated that the fix I submitted for Topia, which handles this issue, has native support for iPhone6 and 6+ resolutions, videos in the app store AND was submitted less than 24 hours after the XCode6 GM release is still 'in review'...

14. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, review times have been all over the place the past couple of weeks. Though that seems excessively long if you submitted your update then. Not sure what to say, app store submission is such a mysterious black box.

15. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Got this last week when the bundles came out, haven't been keeping up with iOS releases these days, but this game is fantastic.

Just finished 100% I've got some pretty good times on some levels too.

[​IMG]

16. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Nice! I'm glad you were able to find some time to play the game, and that you enjoyed it! :)

17. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Just decided to go on TA after a long time of being absent, and just in time for another release by BeaverTap Games! You have my support as always. Happy to see you guys still creating games.

18. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    #218 cy@n, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    To all those speed runners out there. Since Mikey Boots seems to be maxed out - how about Bintu Run?
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=266882

I feel alone on the leaderboards so far :cool:

19. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    My final Mikey re-run before Mikey Jumps and it turns out that I didn't 3 star all the levels here before. I remember when I got this one I loved it but something new and shiny must have gotten in the way. Going back it's better than I remembered. Just unlocked Bonus Level 5 and just can't do it. Getting home with your underpants intact is so flipping hard but I'll get them. Go Mikey.

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    reet - that's it - three starred and found every pair of pants in all the Mikey Games. Bonus Levels 5 and 6 on this are mental - great set of games. Might as well pop open Radical whilst I wait for Thursday to come.