Universal Might & Magic Clash of Heroes - (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 23, 2013.

1. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    DLC to unlock bosses for multiplayer has been in each version of the game that's been released. This is nothing new.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, the only way I'm getting this is deleting NFS:MW and, frankly as good as it is, it's wearing thin with way too many timed/speed events than actual racing.

So I'm leaning towards biting the bullet in this one. Sounds great and haven't played the other versions.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    But the game's $5. DLC? Sheesh bro, the game should be free in that case! More than 10 Bux to own everything? I ain't got that kinda money lying around dude. Will wait for a sale. kthnx

>_>

4. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    So not a full game until you pay an extra $7.99? wow.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You may not want to read my post above yours. :p

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #66 awp69, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    So just to be clear, again, the IAPs are primarily for multiplayer only. I'm in for this if everything needed for the SP campaign is included.

To be honest, looking at the way that Square-Enix's greed has continued to evolve with IAP, this doesn't seem nearly as abusive -- also taking into consideration the pricing of the other versions.

7. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    maybe they will finally release Ghost Recon Shadow Wars....only been waiting for a year and a half lol

8. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Looks nice.
    Instabuy!

9. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    space is clear come on 11pm!!!! i really want to play this now after watching that video....son of a !!!!!

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wait... didnt the others say these IAP unlockables also unlockable in-game? Can anyone confirm if it is?

11. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Load times were a little rough on the XBLA version. Are they improved? Also, I have no problem spending 7.99 on a game that was 15 bucks on the consoles

12. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Metalcasket, hat's off to you for dropping the best example of Poe's Law I've seen in a while.

E-P: The IAP unlockables are unlockable through playing the single player campaign, since the IAP unlocks exclusively affect multiplayer. If you don't want to do it that slowly, though, you can drop $ on the IAPs.

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #73 Misguided, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    I played it on DS, and I think it is the absolute best of the wave of puzzle RPG hybrid games that came along over the last few years in the wake of the success of the original Puzzle Quest. The gameplay is nothing like that title, though. The mechanic is a bit like Critter Crunch, if you've seen that.

Basically, you will have a bunch of units on screen, and you can pluck guys off the bottom of one column and drop them into a different one. By doing so, you create horizontal matches (these turn into walls that protect you) and vertical matches (these become an attack group, and will begin charging up to attack). There's a really cool tactical dynamic where you have o balance between making walls with your units or making attack groups. Focus too much on offense, and your attack groups will be easy pickings while they are charging up. There's lots of other wrinkles too, like bonuses for multiple simultaneous attacks, grouping units into larger units that do more damage, etc.

Edit: there's a lot of strategy that comes into play because units that are formed into groups are vulnerable while they charge. they also have more health (so can be used to guard against incoming damage) than isolated units. Attacks occur in a straight line, so you may also have to make choices between forming an attack in a column where your enemy has no units (to do damage directly to the enemy commander) or in a column where they are charging an attack (units that only charge for one turn before attacking can be useful to weaken stronger enemy units). The basic ideas aren't complicated, but the situations that arise can be delightfully so.

The biggest downside to the game from a single-player standpoint is that it doesn't have the replay value of a game like PQ. You take turns as all the factions during one playthrough (which also makes them available for multiplayer). Still, it's a fairly lengthy game. I paid full price for it on DS, so getting the HD version for a fraction of the cost seems like a great deal, even if it is pricey by iOS standards. This is an in-depth, full-fledged, console-length game and should not be missed by anyone that likes puzzle RPG hybrids.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I would've never honestly believed that anyone could've questioned the intent of my post (considering how blatantly out of character I was), or taken anything I said seriously, but hey... :p

Oh, and yeah...it may not look like it, but the game is retina on iPad. ;)

15. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    You can use earned chars and gear from campaign (or chose to unlock it with IAP if you don't want to play the singleplayer).

16. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    The game is awesome and so is the multiplayer. I actually reviewed the original DS version as well as this one on Gamereactor, and did something I never do, went out and bought an extra game cart (for my own money OMG) as my girlfriend and I got hooked and we wanted to avoid playing with limited choices in mp. :)

17. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ubisoft never announced the century in which they gonna release the Game. Let`s talk about Ghost Recon Shadow Wars again in 2213...

18. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
  19. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    So which is it?

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How 'bout the other way around? Are there any gains in multiplayer that carry over to the single player campaign?

Not only HD graphics (and cloud saves) for that fractional price, but also (and to my mind, far more importantly) asynchronous and expanded multiplayer!