Universal Midway Arcade - (by Warner Bros.) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    If "Pool" is any indication I doubt we'd want them to be. Emulating arcade games is one thing, but clearly this dev team suck horribly at simulating real life physics.

2. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    You mean ipad4.:p

3. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    My only question is how does Rampage play? I use to play a ton of it on my NES. :)

4. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
  5. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It's worth it for this game alone. Plays great!

6. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    What's the point of earning tickets for "prizes" based off of how high you score in games (and also have a Gamecenter leaderboard for how many tickets you've acquired) - and then make the best way to earn tickets not even be off of a Midway game?

Roll Ball. Rapid fire all nine balls towards either 100 target. They'll go in far more frequently than in real life, and you'll be averaging four completed games and 500+ tickets per minute.

(Of course, the highest prize requires close to 200,000 tickets, so that's over six hours of Roll Ball to complete the prize collection!)

And yeah, Rampage is a good conversion, and definitely a lot better than the "each part of a building has fixed punch hole locations" like the NES was! Wish the virtual joystick was a bit bigger - climbing up between buildings is a very imprecise science - but Rampage doesn't really need trigger reflexes other than running from shooting planes, so it's all good.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    LOVING this ! Amazing value, look at how expensive the games are in Capcom or Namco compilations, £1.99 EACH instead of 69p for a pack

Yeah the 'extras' like Pool/Roll ball are very average but nice little extras. Played a few of the arcade games so far and really like it, if Midway can keep adding to this it'll be one of the best apps out there, really like it.

This is what Namco/Capcom should have done with their app

8. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    So far having a blast Rampage really a blast.

9. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    what just happened

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its a stupid spammer, just report the post and it should get deleted pretty soon

11. SteveW402

SteveW402 Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Save

A save feature would be nice!!! I played Gaultlet 2 for over three hours yesterday, I minimized it a couple of times during play to check e-mails without any problems, it went right back to where I was playing... today I launch it and it's back at the menu! :mad: what's up with that?

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I ended up buying this just now in spite of hearing the controls are wonky. Hopefully they are at least tolerable.

13. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    They are very tolerable. Every game is completely playable and just as fun as they used to be. Hope you like it...

14. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    People on the fence: Don't be.

This is a very polished, awesome package of your favorite arcade classics for
    pennies! Yup, they aren't perfect, some have flaws, but the price of admission
    is low!

I used to have several arcade machines in my living room, including a 4-player
    Gauntlet 2 and I'm just as happy now having it on my telephone!

My only gripe is, this feels like this was made on/for an iPad2/iPhone4s.
    The games can get/feel laggy/choppy sometimes on my:
    Non-jailbroken, Memory cleared, Freshly reset iPhone4 32GB.

APB is not. It's absolute trash and should have been tested before released.
    I'll agree with the above comment on everything else but Spy Hunter's pushing it.

15. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I admit I have not bought the expansion packs but I think all the rest included are alright. I'm especially loving Joust, Root Beer Tapper and Rampage so far.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've only tried one game so far: Joust. The thing controls horribly. I can't get a handle on moving left and right reliably. How do you screw up Joust of all games? All it needs is left, right and flap buttons. That joystick thing is horrible. Not exactly a sterling first impression. Sigh.

17. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Try switching g to the unlocked joypad. Pad is only for left/right - there is a flap button.

18. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    i totally agree with this! it would be nice just coming back where you left off instead of starting all over again.

19. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    One thing some of the younger members may not know since they might not have played the originals, these games controlled very loosely back in the 80's as well. I agree that they should tighten them up for the iOS versions to make up for touch controls but it was always difficult getting the hang of Joust for example. I mean you're controlling an ostrich, c'mon! ;)

Seriously though, I DO think the control need to be tightened up for each of these but they are still very playable once you get used to them. I'm loving Joust. I can't believe I can have it with me anywhere I go :)

20. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, no, the complaints aren't just about the distinctive movement in Joust (which is a core component of that game), but the mushiness and unresponsiveness of the joystick in general. None of the physical arcade games replicated had problems in that regard; this is purely an emulation issue. In Tapper, for example, I spend more time fighting against the controls than playing the game, constantly swiping a tiny joystick that doesn't even respond a quarter of the time. In that game, I really should just be able to tap, pun intended. :p

The floating joystick is far superior to the fixed one, but there really should be an option for a fixed eight-way pad as well; I should simply be able to press in the direction I want to go, rather than always having to swipe to do everything, which also causes frustration in Rampage (arguably one of the most complex games in the non-IAP set). The action buttons for each game should also be larger and better positioned than they are now.

The rest of the app is really well done, however, and even the half-assed arcade minigames can be a fun diversion (although I'd like to see those tightened up a bit too).