Universal Midway Arcade - (by Warner Bros.) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    We might have a chance since wb are the parent to netherrealm studios

2. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    ok, previous posters input is correct.

To get IAPs,
    1. turn off wifi
    2. Open up midway arcade
    3. Press the menu button so you have quick access to the store
    4. Double tap out of menu into system
    5. In system, turn on wifi and access internet.
    6. Go into app store, and log in (i need to do this in order for IAPs to work, but im on an ipod, might be different for others devices).
    7. Double tap again and go to midway arcade.
    8. Click on store, will identify the iaps and allow you to buy.

Gauntlet download is 9 megs, the action pack, with total carnage et al is 38 megs.

Each pack is
    $1

3. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    #63 Mookmonster, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    Doh, this is getting to be a refrain.

Gauntlet 1 and 2 are pretty bad. Controls are absolutely tiny, seriously the attack and magic buttons are really hard to hit, and of course they are not in the corners, they are near the middle of the screen so you can see some worthless statistics on the right hand side. Pretty bad, and its hard to run and shoot at the same time, you have to stop and shoot and thus get hit by the enemies and just mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Total carnage, however, works pretty well. Typical dual stick shooter, in fact, this might be one of the originators of the genre. Sound is awesome, movement is awesome, whole thing is just awesome. Though it did start kinda laggy on my ipod 3g, but after awhile it kicked in and was very fluid.

Never played wizard of wor before, but same problems, controls are ass, just not fluid, herky jerky, cant turn when i want...ugh.

Narc, my favorite game out of all of these.....crashes on startup.........I could try a couple times to see if it works in the future...but.....ASSSSSSSSSS
    Ok. tried again, didnt crash this time, and it plays pretty fun, just like i remember it. Controlls work well for this one, doesnt require twitch reactions like some other games in this app. Really worth it.

I am pretty confidant this will get patched, but right now, the word assssss comes to mind, but with a shit ton of potential.

So far, of all the games, Total Carnage and Narc are REALLY WORTH IT, especially total carnage. The others, at the moment, need a bit of bug squashing and control optimizing to make them really enjoyable.

4. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    so on itunes this is getting a lot of 1 stars(all related to crashes)... i really wanted this app D:

5. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    It seems I paid 69p just for the Midway Arcade Splash screen - Not even turning off Wi-fi works for me.

Hope this is sorted soon as I've been dying to play Gauntlet again for many years!

6. arcnas

arcnas New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    #66 arcnas, Feb 23, 2012
    Well I just bought it , and it works ok on my I pad 2. I've Can play all the games, but the menu is so slow, there is something wrong with the app for sure, but it does work or me

After playing a bit more I bought the other 2 packs for a couple of quid it all seems to be running fine for me

7. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    Likewise, running an iPad2, no problems there. (But I'm sure in another year or two when everything's optimized for iPhone6 and iPad3, I'll have a similar 'fail rate' with newer apps. Do they even TEST these things on the systems they claim to?)

I'll admit I sat at the title screen for a minute or two enjoying the "arcade ambience" and hearing sound bites from the various games - a nice nod to an era of gaming that's pretty much gone at this point. But I could have done without the 'wander through arcade' option; I'm always going to "quick select" the game I want to play and all that extra graphical bloat makes the app larger and more crash prone than if it was streamlined. (But I suppose if it didn't have that graphical "eye catch," they wouldn't get as many sales.)

Only played Joust so far - yeah, the controls are a little vague, but Joust has always been about as precise as trying to drive a tank over an icy river. And I'm positive they set the difficulty below "factory standard" to compensate for the controls - I shouldn't have reached Wave 8 with how badly I was flailing.

I'm not expecting any further pack upgrades since they'd need to redesign the entire arcade to support it - but I suppose they could always just patch in a 'back room' with the new games. If the layout already had some greyed-out cabinets that you walked by, we'd know more games were planned eventually.

Weird how they mention Total Carnage as the successor to Smash TV, but didn't actualy INCLUDE Smash TV ... but I think there's always been some weird licensing issues with that one making it a little trickier to get into compilations (probably voice-clip related).

8. Mookmonster

Apr 11, 2010
    In the arcade on the lower floor there are a bunch of machines that are not used. Currently, they have repeats of cabinets on the top level, like joust, etc, but they could easily be changed to add new games.

I have no doubts they are going to update and add more games. Its free money, reselling old games for new profit. People like me are stupid enough to run on nostalgia to forgive whatever control inferiorities that exist and buy anyway.

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #69 oooooomonkey, Feb 23, 2012
    I'm liking this. Works fine on my iPod 4G iOS 5.0.1.
    Haven't tried all the games yet but the feel of the whole app is nice, I like the background noise when your choosing a game and the voice when you scroll game to game. For 69p it's a bargain and extra 69p for more classics = more bargains. Wish THQ had done this with wrestlefest :)

Edit. Well god damn I spoke to soon. It was working all last night for about an hour and a half and then I turn it on this morning and it won't work unless I turn off the wifi. On a plus side I managed to get narc and total carnage last night.

10. Dopedtoinfinity

Nov 24, 2010
    Yes it is, arcade perfect (controls aside..)

11. Thorvald

Thorvald Member

Jan 13, 2010
    iCade support anyone???????

This many pages of threads and no one has reports yea or nay for iCade???

12. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    interface question

While playing any of the games, there's a circle with an arrow at the end on the top of the screen and when you press it, a little lock appears in the center but im not sure what it does. Does anyone know?

Also, i think the controls are shaky at best. Spy hunter has never been easy to play without a real joystick, and even then it was hard. Joust has the best controls in my opinion.

Thanks!

13. Dopedtoinfinity

Nov 24, 2010
    Well after trying out most of the games I'm deleting this until an update is released that fixes the controls. I realise that touchscreen controls aren't ideal, but this is ridiculous. Apb & Spyhunter are virtually unplayable, defender and joust are really messed up, narc and total carnage aren't too bad, rampage is the best of the bunch and is quite playable.

The analog sticks have too big of a dead zone, digital would be preferable on the joystick based games. The racing games are downright broken, having to push up to accelerate while using left and right at the same time to turn. (the tilt and wheel settings are even worse!!).

It may be very tempting to purchase (as it was for me) but this app will just leave you with an empty feeling. (imagine walking into an arcade with all your fave games in, trying to operate them with your hands tied behind your back and beat your high scores by manoeuvring the joystick with your teeth.).

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Wow. What a disappointment if the controls are that terrible. It sounds like they didn't even try. :(

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Begging for.....

......iCade.......please.

16. arcnas

arcnas New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Game Impressions

No icade. Just tried it gutted and stupid not to include it

17. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Everyones views on the controls are completely different. Some are saying that Rampage is completely unplayable while others are saying Rampage is the only game that got it right. Same with all the others. I bought it and am quickly getting used to ALL the controls and testing each method out. I'm actually loving playing every single game included and have no serious control issues aside from the normal learning curve with any iOS game.

GREAT games at an unbelievable price in a fancy schmancy package ;) Midway got it all right in this one and I can't wait to pick up more and more games for it (hopefully)...

18. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm finding the unlocked joystick preferable to the default locked joystick for tapper, joust and defender. Tapper plays well this way with a quick swipe up or down most anywhere on screen. The skew ball and hoop shooting game seemed fine to me for a few quick plays between other games. And I DO see two pinball machines in the arcade! Maybe they will be live in an update :)

19. shank33

shank33 Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Question

Usually there's some sort of settings panel where you can control how many players you get for each game, at what point you get free guys etc. Is there anything like that anywhere? It'd be nice to have seven guys for Wizard of Wor.

That said, this is as expected. Controls are a bit wonky, but it's still fun to play these games on the train. Looking forward to more.

20. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This is one of the best emulators I've seen on the app store; very polished, slick UI, multiple control options, portrait or landscape, universal, retina graphics, a large selection of A+ retro games for a very low price, and excellent controls. I already own most of these games with iMAME, but IMO these versions are better. Rampage, Gauntlet and Spy Hunter work much better with this emulator. I especially like that I can play with tilt controls in Spy Hunter - that works great for me.

There are some issues with it. It does't work on my iPad 1 (crashes - only works on my iPhone 4S), the sound/music cuts out in Spy Hunter, and there's no iCade support, which does't make any sense given that this is an arcade emulator. Also, there's no mutilplayer - games like Gauntlet and Rampage are sorely missing this feature. Hopefully these issues are resolved in an update, because this is an excellent emulator and a bargain for 99cents.