Universal Midway Arcade - (by Warner Bros.) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 22, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, but 1) that Xbox 360 was sold at a loss originally, which means that you paid an extra $10-15 per game to cover Microsoft's nut; 2) even now, six years later, when MS is making a profit on every console, you are still overpaying $10-15 per game; and 3) a six year old PC doesn't run a lot of current games, at least not without a lot of expensive of TLC.

Not trying to compare console/PC gaming to iOS gaming -- just putting things in perspective.

2. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    looks like a nicely presented solid package with a iap done correctly!

just hope its compatible with the forthcomming icade jnr :D

3. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    er...wut? I mean sure, your statement is true, but it doesn't really relate to the issue at hand. Do Xbox360 games work on the original Xbox systems? Do PS3 games work on PS1 systems? Will games made for the upcoming systems play on current ones? No...an Iphone4S is not an Iphone3GS. They are different hardware.

Personally, I feel its completely unrealistic to expect games made now to be backward compatible with devices more than a generation out of date. I think games made now for iphone4S should work with iphone4. If you're lucky maybe with 3GS, but not at all necessarily.

4. br1an

br1an New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Also...

No Robotron?!?!

5. Squire

Squire Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Has it got iCade support? If so, I'm buying!!

6. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    +1.

Maybe in IAP?

If not, pick up Minotron by Jeff Minter. Good fun from a guy with enough history in the gaming world to not be worried about any copying. Psychedelic updated version :)

7. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

I understand when there's a new game that will only work on a later device because a 2g wouldn't be able to handle it, but there's no reason why these ports couldn't work on a 2g. There are plenty of games with fancier graphics and more detailed content that work on a 2g with no problem, and it's not like they don't release games that work on the 2g anymore.

8. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    For the love of Dog, will someone tell me how good the controls are for Joust? One of my favorites.

9. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    As soon as its available can someone let me know if it's icade compatible please (if so I'll buy one on the way home from work). Thanks in advance!

10. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    i was thinking the same, hopefully there will be a iap of Sinstar and the Mortal Kombat games

11. Sarcor

Sarcor New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Is this 2x on iPad?

Any idea if this would look like crap if it wasn't HD? Since it's old arcade art it might be ok.

12. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    probably would look okay the same graphics as the arcades. since its universal it should look great on both devices.

13. mattfoo

mattfoo New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    NARC!

My cousin and I must've spent 50 dollars playing that game. Few other games could get me to delurk long enough to comment on something. :)

-Matt

14. atopix

atopix Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Since neither work on my iMame, this app has tigers blood!

15. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Red Wizard is purchasing this app.

16. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Any impressions yet? I'm dying to know how these games are presented. Full screen or that weird arcade simulation that other retro games have used?

17. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Has no one in NZ or other time zones gotten this yet?

I really want to know if this is unlimited play or some odd capcom system!

18. SCZ77

SCZ77 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    C.R.
    ...wondering the same thing :confused:

19. Sushi Eater

Sushi Eater New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    #39 Sushi Eater, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    Long time lurker on TA but a, a big-time retro game junkie and already have this game, as I live in Japan, so had to register to give my impressions.

I'm running this on an Iphone 4S OS 5.X and I don't have Icade so I don't know if it supports it.

I have the initial game plus both game packs.

First and foremost to answer the number 1 question: YES it has unlimited play for all the games! As far as I can tell, there is nothing that would limit play!
    You do win tickets for playing each game by they seem to be more of a way to give you an overall score for time played, which is tracked in the leaderboards.

And speaking of leaderboards, it tracks individual game scores in Gamecenter as well as the ticket thing, but I haven't looked to closely at them.

The whole package is presented in a pretty nice sort of 3-D arcade interface that you "navigate" around using arrow buttons...click the arrow, move to the next game, one at a time. Since this is getting old fast, there is also a game list option to move instantly. The extra games, Skee ball, ice hockey, pool...while not great games the way they are implemented, do help a lot to give you the feel of being in an 80s era arcade...a Pinball machine or two would've been nice though.

The games themselves seem to be good emulations, and run just as they should if this were Mame or another emulator...however, the controls for some games (driving games use tilt, virtual joysticks for others) are a little...well, iffy. Especially APB and Tapper. With the default control (tilt), APB seemed unplayable, I switched to another mode and it was better, but not great. Tapper uses a virtual joystick and often my character would go down when I want him to go up, things like that. Wait...add Wizard of Wor to this list...almost forgot...same issue with Tapper.

Most other games seem, to me, to control a lot better, especially Joust...but I havent spent a lot of time yet with some of them.

I like this game overall and 16 games for 3 bucks is a great deal...I wouldnt let the controls sway me from getting it, since there ARE diff control options and I havent tried them all...the REAL negative issue is below...THIS is my biggest gripe.

SOUND GLITCH. So far this seems to happen in every game.
    After 30 seconds or so of play, partial sounds will drop out of the game you are in, BGM, some...but not all sound effects, and wont come back till you start exit and reload another game. It happens every time and was still present after a phone reboot.
    I hope someone at Warner is listening and can fix this in a update.

I noticed it in the first game I played, Spy Hunter...when Peter Gunn cut out half way through. Then noticed it in other games, regardless of maker...Atari, Bally, Williams...they all have the bug.

Anyway, I like this game app overall and am looking forward to reading some other impressions...and see if others have the sound issue.

*** Forgot to clarify that each game pack is also 1 dollar (85 yen in Japan), so three bucks for all 16 games and unlimited play.